News from North West Evening Mail
Shortly before 9pm police issued an urgent warning for people to stay away from the area as they investigated the serious threat aimed at anyone attending the evening at the New Empire, in Dalton Road. Officers later arrested a 19-year-old man in connect
Peter McCall attended the event which was hosted by JD Wetherspoon at the Justice of Peace in Keswick on June 20. Dave Mackenzie, formerly of The Sun Inn in Ulverston, was one of three people from Cumbria to receive the accolade. The Star Awards - part o
The document, which remains unpublished by the authority, will illustrate how a series of financial issues rocked its budget during the 2016/17 financial year. Both the council and Councillor Stewart Young, the man expected to be re-selected as its leade
Timothy David Nickson, of Broughton Road in the town, was arrested on Thursday night in connection with an incident in which a man received serious injuries. The 42-year-old is due to appear at Furness Magistrates' Court tomorrow. Police confirmed on Fri
Tomas Kai Downing, 18, appeared at Furness and Magistrates' Court charged with threatening Benjamin Marshall with a meat cleaver in Collingwood Street, Barrow, and damaging the windscreen of a Hyundai car belonging to Mr Marshall. The charges relate to M
The army, cadets, Brownies and Rainbows all contributed to honour the new mayor of Barrow, Councillor Tony Callister, a firefighter. The public turned out to watch their loved ones parade before the new mayor, who spoke of the privilege he feels to repre
Christopher Paul Holme, 30, appeared at Furness and Magistrates’ Court on Thursday and admitted criminal damage to two custody cells at Barrow Police Station on May 20. The court heard Holme, of Egerton Court, Barrow, was remorseful for his “inappropriat
The man was arrested in Ulverston by officers from Barrow Police Station on Thursday night. They had been called to a property in Hoad View Flats, in the town's North Lonsdale Road, following the death of a 20-year-old woman.
The man, who is in his 60s, had been taking part in an organised cycling event. He suffered serious injuries. He was airlifted to Preston hospital with suspected spinal and shoulder injuries and was stable on arrival.
Philip Kevin Walker, 40, appeared at Furness and District Magistrates' Court and admitted a charge of assaulting Melissa Rogerson. The offence took place at the Theatre Bar, in Cavendish Street, in Barrow, at around 12.45am on December 27 last year. The
Children will be able to take up the offer of free painting at the opening of the new play area in James Dunn Park, at Vickerstown, Walney, on Sunday July 9. The play park was a project of North Walney Tenants and Residents Association and Barrow Borough
Cumbria County Council improvements will progress around the junction between the A590 Lightburn Road and Daltongate. Temporary traffic lights are in place for carriageway widening, kerb realignments, new crossing facilities, new street lights, new footp
Police last night issued a plea for people stay away from an event planned for the LGBT community at the New Empire pub, amid fears a man was plotting to kill people attending. A teenager was eventually arrested in connection with the alleged threats and
Itseoritse Kpogho, 27, appeared at Furness Magistrates' Court over the charge related to a car crash at Mill Brow, Abbey Road, Barrow, in November. Two children travelling in another car were injured in the collision. No pleas were entered during the hea
CancerCare, which launched a new base at the Trinity Church Centre, on Abbey Road, Barrow in April, will use the money to continues its services for those who are undergoing treatment or recovering from the disease. They include massage and other holisti
- 04:28 Mongolia economy, graft in spotlight as voters elect president
- 04:22 Pandora Media's CEO Tim Westergren to step down - Recode
- 04:16 CEO of Raytheon's Forcepoint eyes IPO - Boersen-Zeitung
- 03:58 Asia stocks edge up on optimism over global growth, oil rebounds
- 03:22 Manchester United close to signing Chelsea star Nemanja Matic
- 03:18 BOJ must communicate clearly, avoid stimulus-exit talk - June mtg...
- 03:16 Great Barrier Reef worth A$56bn, report finds
- 03:10 Church leaders in power-sharing plea to NI politicians
- 02:40 New Zealand coach Steve Hansen takes swipe at Lions counterpart...
- 02:36 John McDonnell: Grenfell victims 'murdered by political decisions'
- 02:31 Big Brother: Viewers in complete SHOCK as security forced to break...
- 02:15 Oil climbs on weaker dollar, but rise in U.S. drilling drags
- 02:14 North Korean women 'declare WAR on the US imperial aggressors' in...
- 01:56 Italy's centre-right wins big in mayoral elections
- 01:56 Nine dead after Colombia tourist boat sinks in reservoir
- 01:54 Takata: Airbag-maker files for bankruptcy
- 01:51 Appeal outpaces running group's charity challenge
- 01:51 Good lord! One of the oldesttitles in England is for sale
- 01:45 Showstopper! Zendaya wears stylish striped dress to Spider-Man:...
- 01:45 'Best day ever': Jacqueline Jossa gushes over her lavish nuptials...
- 01:45 Caught red-handed! Love Island fans spot Jess Shears' wandering...
- 01:45 Move over Ross and Demelza! Drake Carne and Morwenna Chynoweth...
- 01:45 LeAnn Rimes sizzles in a sexy sheer dress as she performs live at...
- 01:45 That's how she (rock and) rolls: Rita Ora leaves Glastonbury by...
- 01:45 'It's great to be back': The Killers surprise fans as they make a...
- 01:45 'It should be taken off air for good': Shocked viewers threaten to...
- 01:41 Takata decides to file for bankruptcy - source
- 01:40 All Blacks coach Steve Hansen takes swipe at 'desperate' British...
- 01:40 Harry Potter’s 20th anniversary sees fans across the country unite...
- 01:39 Half of Brits don't know their neighbours' names, research shows