News from News & Star
The grieving family of a Cumbrian man who lost his brain tumour battle has campaigned at Westminster in his memory. Audrey Todd and her daughter Vicky Mason attended a reception at Speaker’s House to continue their campaign for increased funding for rese
One of Carlisle's most historic buildings is carving itself a new future after landing a lottery grant of more than £1.9m. Five years of hard work has been rewarded with news that Carlisle Cathedral is to receive £1,918,500 from the Heritage Lottery Fund
Residents are being warned to up their security following a spate of burglaries at homes in Workington. There were three incidents over the weekend in the Moorclose and Westfield areas of the town. In one, a man was disturbed in the bedroom of a house. T
The young designers of a new smartphone app hope to help parents trying to protect their children from cyberbullying. Carlisle teenagers Ryan Edgar, Matthew Hunter and Owen Bird, who are in year nine at Richard Rose Morton Academy, earlier this month won
Cash and alcohol were among items stolen during a break-in at a west Cumbrian restaurant. Rafferty's Bistro in Curzon Street, Maryport, was targeted by thieves late last week. A microwave was also stolen in the raid. Together the items were valued at £84
CUMBRIA is gearing up for change, as the new £1 coin comes into currency today. The coin has been designed especially to combat fraudsters, as the Royal Mint estimates one in every 30 pound coins currently in circulation is a fake. The 'round pound' has
A young woman who crashed her car crashed into a metal barrier in a town centre, almost flipping it, was over the drink-drive limit. Care worker Carmel Bowman, 29, who admitted drink driving when she appeared at Carlisle's Rickergate magistrates' court,
The kitchen of a house on Park Road, Brampton, was extensively damaged in a fire tonight. No occupants were in the house, which was filled with smoke, at the time of the fire at about 7.50pm. A passing neighbour saw the fire and rushed to Brampton fire s
Four men have been banned from drinking on Carlisle's Botchergate, after they admitted being involved in violence inside a pub. A judge at the city's crown court was told chairs were thrown and a snooker cue brandished during a disturbance in the Cumberl
A high-profile Cumbrian health campaigner pleaded with a court not to punish her husband for assaulting her, insisting he is not violent. Siobhan Gearing wrote a lengthy statement defending her 33-year-old husband Paul, admitting that even though she had
A project to involve young people in keeping their communities safe was launched today. Peter McCall, Cumbria's police and crime commissioner, spoke to young people at Workington Academy about the newly established Cumbria Youth Commission. He said:...
Police have released CCTV images of two men they want to trace following a burglary at a Greggs branch in Cumbria. The incident, at Buddle Road, Workington, happened at 3.15am on March 4. Nothing was taken. Anyone with information is asked to call PC 239
A Cumbrian MP says she has been left baffled by a controversial decision not to refer major health plans to the Secretary of State - and is now demanding the matter be investigated and potentially challenged. Reacting to news that Cumbria Health Scrutiny
CARLISLE'S branch of upmarket show retailer Jones Bootmaker has closed, with the loss of six jobs. The firm has been bought by Leeds-based private equity firm Endless LLP after it s previous owners - Alteri Investors - appointed staff from accountancy gi
Plans have been tabled to upgrade playing facilities at a north Cumbrian sports club. A new 3G artificial grass pitch is being proposed to replace the existing grassed pitch at Penrith Rugby Club's Winters Park ground. Plans also include a variety of new
- 09:15 Cumbrian family take brain tumour campaign to Westminster
- 09:15 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 09:14 Berlin airport ground staff agree pay deal after strikes - union
- 09:13 Cheshire West and Chester Fairtrade Fortnight is a big hit with...
- 09:13 ‘Thousands of pupils at risk’ over lack of proper school health plan
- 09:13 Nick Clegg accuses Government of ‘clipping Parliament’s wings’ with...
- 09:12 Over 150 people have complained to Ofcom about the BBC’s Red Nose...
- 09:11 South Yorkshire volunteers need for Guide Dogs charity
- 09:10 Street food popping back to Leeds Merrion Centre
- 09:10 Real Madrid make Chelsea star top target: He could follow Eden...
- 09:10 Arsonists hunted over arson attacks in Doncaster
- 09:09 Tragic Sunderland businessman Martyn Young to be honoured in...
- 09:09 Shropshire patients who need neurology specialist having to travel...
- 09:07 Nick Kyrgios pulls off quality tweener and falls out with a ball...
- 09:07 St Johnstone boss secures ‘vital member of squad’ Liam Craig on new...
- 09:07 Dundee United striker Simon Murray starts contract talks
- 09:06 Neymar: This is the one thing I really don't like talking about
- 09:06 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger makes big claim: This side will dominate...
- 09:06 Aston Villa enter talks with Man United over £3m deal: Three...
- 09:06 The Fifth Element 2: Original director Luc Besson speaks out on...
- 09:06 Good turnout and ‘good prices’ at Horncastle area Land Auction
- 09:04 Pigmeat prices on the rise despite soaring feed costs
- 09:03 China says weaponry in South China Sea is to maintain 'freedom of...
- 09:03 Macron leads France election polls - but this is how Marine Le Pen...
- 09:03 Resident calling on council to repair 'dangerous' potholes in St Ann's
- 09:02 Investigation launched after fire at breakers' yard building in...
- 09:02 Liverpool transfer target Max Meyer drops hint over future
- 09:01 Chelsea transfer news: Alvaro Morata in, Kurt Zouma out
- 09:01 Tesco fined £129 million after fraud investigation
- 09:01 Pingle School's Deb Holland to ride 145 miles to Amsterdam to help...