News from News & Star
Health chiefs looking to take beds out of a community hospital faced a barrage of furious residents at a packed public meeting. Residents from the Alston Moor area crammed into the hall at Samuel King's School tonight to quiz Success Regime leaders. Unde
A £300 million project to install 100km of new water supply pipework through parts of Cumbria has been backed by Copeland Council. United Utilities is planning a new pipeline from Thirlmere to West Cumbria, creating up to 400 jobs. Copeland's planning pa
The wail of the maroon always triggered the start of a race for Steve Henderson. He would cycle as fast as possible as soon as he heard the alarm for lifeboat crew. He remembers: “Me and my mates used to bomb down to see the lifeboat launched and I thoug
A drug addict who used stolen bank cards to feed his raging habit has been given two months extra behind bars - for wasting judges' time. Dismissing an appeal against his sentence as completely without foundation, senior judges today decided to make an e
Two women who work for a disability charity took part in a skydive to raise money to support its work. Karen Morton, 32, and 28-year-old Miranda jumped 15,000ft from a plane as part of a fundraising challenge to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Walsingh
Tributes have been pouring in to a popular Whitehaven man who has died in the United States. Steve Gibbons – a former Copeland mayoral candidate, Labour activist and trade union official – died on Friday having suffered a heart attack two weeks earlier d
Cleaners on Virgin Trains may strike over fears they may lose their jobs. Rail union RMT has announced it will ballot members for strike action unless it gets assurances for people's jobs. Five local jobs in Carlisle are under threat as Voith Industrial
The trial of a man accused of abducting his partner will go ahead in the New Year. Michael O'Neill, 47 is alleged to have committed the offence at Annan Rugby Club, and then on the nearby A75. O'Neill is said to have seized the woman, who was his partner
Health bosses have failed to provide a risk assessment about the dangers faced by women travelling 40 miles while in labour, it has been claimed. The West Cumbrians’ Voice for Healthcare is the latest to speak out against the Success Regime’s plans to re
Jamie Reed is urging the government to take urgent action to reduce flood risks in Keswick and Copeland. The MP for Copeland including Keswick has written to Andrea Leadsom, the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, to voice his vie
Police are investigating a fail-to-stop crash. A car towing a trailer was driving between the A5086 Lamplugh and Kirkland, in the Cockermouth direction, when it caused a black Ford Focus to swerve and leave the road. The first vehicle failed to stop. Wit
People trying to access mental health and community services struggled to get through. Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust experienced a number of telephone and network problems this morning. However, the telephone systems at the trust - which provi
A fatal accident inquiry has been hearing details of the death of a 43-year-old man in police custody. Kevin McGurty, of Gables View, Annan Road, Gretna, is believed to have died as a result of a heart complaint. It happened shortly after midnight on Nov
A section of road through a town centre has been closed for up to three weeks because of a damaged sewer. Cumbria County Council has banned traffic on Graham Street in Penrith until repair work is complete. The closure runs from its junction with Drovers
Police were called to investigate vile and threatening racial abuse directed at a Cumbrian health clinician involved in controversial NHS reforms. Dr Ajith Wijesiriwardana became the victim of online trolls, who turned a debate over the future of health
- 06:05 Man United superstar warned after Man City EFL Cup win: You must...
- 06:04 SE Asia Stocks-Mostly down; Philippines extends losses to sixth day
- 06:02 India's Tata Steel says financial statements present true and fair...
- 06:02 Giant £712m black hole for Birmingham hospitals revealed
- 06:02 China testing scheme to gauge shadow banking risk - newspaper
- 06:02 Asia shares extend losses, dollar off highs
- 06:00 Controversial plan for new housing estate has been given green...
- 06:00 Worker was attacked in Hanley's Crown Bank toilets
- 06:00 Families call for Park Hall Country Park visitor centre to be rebuilt
- 06:00 Team GB olympian Jazmin Sawyers auditions for ITV singing...
- 06:00 Tributes to former Kidsgrove headteacher Neil Hemmings
- 06:00 Council complaints about potholes double in Stoke-on-Trent
- 06:00 Family of crash victim Frank Woodcock urge other drivers to 'buckle...
- 06:00 Newcastle dad jailed after he groomed and raped a schoolgirl when...
- 05:57 Live breaking news, weather and traffic updates around...
- 05:50 Poppy Appeal urges public to 'rethink Remembrance'
- 05:47 Antonio Conte talks Chelsea's loss to West Ham: What I thought of...
- 05:45 GuocoLand to subscribe to 27 percent stake in Malaysia's Eco World...
- 05:42 Metro announcements have changed - meet the little girls behind the...
- 05:42 It's official! A date has been set for the first ever...
- 05:39 Jose Mourinho told: Make these players work together or sell them!
- 05:34 15 trolley loads of rubbish! Who'd dump all this?
- 05:27 Japan, US, S.Korea agree to put more pressure on N.Korea - Japan...
- 05:26 'Historic deal' but Birmingham council staff face pay freeze
- 05:25 Man United players slammed following Man City EFL Cup win: They're...
- 05:24 Calling all young people - there's still time to join the ECHO's...
- 05:24 Meet Trick and Treat - the kittens lucky to be alive after being...
- 05:24 China deal could see new garden at Garden Festival site
- 05:24 Merseyside Police to attend fewer crime scenes
- 05:24 Disabled knifeman facing prison escapes court on electric scooter