News from News & Star
Time is running out for residents to have their say on plans that could lead to a cut in the number of councillors in Cumbria. Allerdale Council could see its number of elected members drop from 56 to 49 by May 2019. The independent Local Government Boun
They're not the usual kind of customers at Carlisle library... But bugs and beasts took over the children’s area as part of a half term session to educate kids about some of the world’s most weird and wonderful insects. Guy Tansley, of Bugsnstuff, brough
A man in his twenties was taken to hospital after falling through a roof. The Great North Air Ambulance Service was call to Kirkby Stephen on Thursday at about 2.30pm. The trauma team, who arrived in the rapid response car, assessed and treated the man a
A historian is calling on residents of a Cumbrian village past and present to come forward as he looks to uncover its 150-year story. Henry Barker has lived in Harriston, near Aspatria, all his life. Now, he wants to tell the story of the village and rev
Buses will replace cancelled trains between Carlisle and Whitehaven tonight as other services are delayed. Northern Rail has had to cancel two services due to staffing issues and alternative transport for passengers has been arranged. The 7pm service fro
LABOUR'S defeat in the Copeland by-election has prompted heavy criticism from David Miliband who said the party is now further from power than any time in the last 50 years. The US-based former foreign secretary said he was "deeply...
Legendary jockey Sir AP McCoy has thrown his weight behind a Carlisle runner's charity challenge. The greatest jump jockey of all time endured an eight-hour journey through traffic chaos caused by Storm Doris to support tyre factory worker John Reay and
A HOUSING developer will make a final attempt to secure planning permission for homes on the site of a former factory - after an appeal over previous plans was dismissed by the Secretary of State. Citadel Estates Ltd has said it will submit a blueprint o
The former Farm Foods shop in Carlisle city centre is being taken over by a new hair and beauty salon called Gabriel Ruane. Gabriel Ruane Salon hair is a concept brand and the visionary’s behind this are director Koln Murray and creative director, Kath P
Health campaigners call for meeting with new Copeland MP - as date set for Success Regime announcement
Campaigners are urging Copeland's new MP, Trudy Harrison, to meet to discuss the immediate plans for the future of the area's health services. Yesterday it was announced that a decision on the Success Regime's controversial proposals for the West Cumberl
A flood warning and a string of flood alerts have been issued for areas of Cumbria following a spell of wet and windy weather. Meanwhile the Met Office has removed its yellow warning for rain which it had expected to be in force until 10pm tonight. A flo
Measures to improve pedestrian safety are set to be implemented near a Carlisle housing development - "five years too late". That's according to Robert Betton, city ward councillor for Botcherby, who says the works - including a footpath -...
MORE than eight years after they started a campaign to re-open an historic railway viaduct, those behind the plans have reached a huge milestone. Members of Carlisle Waverley Viaduct Trust (CWVT) have submitted official proposals to Carlisle City Council
THE number of visitors enjoying Talkin Tarn – one of north Cumbria’s top beauty spots – is on the up, with additional income being reinvested to continuously add to its appeal. The country park’s increasing popularity is reflected in the number of pay an
A 17-year-old was taken to hospital following a serious crash on a busy Cumbrian road. He was driving a motorbike which was involved in a collision with a Mitsubishi pick-up truck at the junction of the A596 and Station Road, at Wigton, yesterday evening
- 07:33 Ian McCall slams 'awful' Ayr United performance as they crash to St...
- 07:33 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:32 Barcelona willing to offer Real Madrid this star to keep Lionel...
- 07:32 Manchester United star snubbed transfer because of his country
- 07:29 Antoine Griezmann tells Paul Pogba: I see myself at Manchester United
- 07:29 Manchester United's EFL Cup final wildcard could be a man Jose...
- 07:26 Former soldier brandished gun and threatened to shoot teenager at...
- 07:22 THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: February 26
- 07:19 EastEnders villain 'Nasty' Nick Cotton comes to Huddersfield for...
- 07:19 EXCLUSIVE: Southampton should exploit this Man United weak link -...
- 07:19 Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet: What I did after Jurgen Klopp...
- 07:15 Australia and Indonesia restore full military ties
- 07:13 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:12 Tortoises rescued from smugglers make their Chester Zoo debut
- 07:11 Three arrested after police pursuit across counties
- 07:11 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:10 Manchester United star: I want to sign a new deal
- 07:10 Arsenal staff reveal Alexis Sanchez will leave Gunners in the summer
- 07:06 DFS Trading Limited fined £1m after worker suffered serious...
- 07:06 Chef cooks up a veggie treat
- 07:04 Carl Bridgewater murder: Bert Spencer welcomes new police review of...
- 07:03 Men who sup more than seven pints of beer a week for several years...
- 07:03 Army of grandparents saving families billions in child care
- 07:03 Charity helping Thai children says thanks
- 07:02 Burnley boss Sean Dyche: This is what I thought about that red card...
- 07:01 ‘Squequel’ to mouse mystery in Boston Stump
- 07:00 Stunning photos takes you behind the scenes of the Guildhall in Hull
- 07:00 See how Hull city centre is REALLY taking shape
- 07:00 Brave Ruby Lawler, 8, beats cancer for SECOND time
- 07:00 The fascinating history behind the famous Bull Inn in Beverley...