News from News & Star
More cancellations and anger as data reveals the true extent of disruption on blighted Northern rail service
THERE was no surprise among rail users last weekend as yet another series of cancellations hit the troubled Northern Rail services operating across the county. On Saturday alone, six services running between Barrow, Carlisle and Windermere were cancelled
Two West Cumbrian poetry groups are joining forces to take their passion for words to a wider audience. Solway Poetry People and Parkhill Poets will host a poetry supper at Culterham Hall, Mawbray, on October 6. The event will give each group the chance
It's probably the highlight of Cumbria's bonfire night celebrations - but it doesn't always fall on November 5. Now organisers have revealed this year’s Bitts Park Fireshow will be held the night before, on Saturday November 4, so families can plan in ad
More than 175 Keswick School pupils were honoured at its annual prizegiving. Former pupil James Sibbit presented the prizes, which were awarded for everything from academic achievement and sporting success to music and volunteering. James was the highest
Police are investigating an incident of criminal damage in Whitehaven. A white, VW Transporter, suffered damage to the rear doors. It happened on Bransty Road sometime after 11pm on Wednesday, September 13, and 8am the next morning. Anyone with any infor
The tyres of a Fiat Punto car have been slashed in Workington. Police are investigating the incident of criminal damage which took place on Walker Road, Workington. It happened between 9.30pm on Saturday and 9.30am on Sunday. Anyone with information shou
The bomb squad was called in to carry out a controlled explosion after an old piece of ammunition was found. Passers by say they could hear the explosion more than a mile away from the site where police experts were carrying out their work. Officers were
The number of distilleries in the UK has increased by a fifth in the last year amid a sudden popularity in artisan gin, a new report shows. And Cumbria is among those, with the county boasting three distilleries. Accountancy group UHY Hacker Young reveal
A Workington school is preparing to welcome a royal visitor tomorrow. HRH the Duchess of Gloucester us set to visit Workington Academy to meet staff and pupils and official open its new building. Workington Academy was formed last year to replace Stainbu
Callers to Cumbria Police's delay-hit 101 line had to wait an average of more than EIGHT minutes to get through last month. Force chiefs revealed the amount of time people were left hanging on the phone for this service as they detailed a surge in 999 ca
Labour's next MP candidate for Carlisle will be a woman - despite local members voting against an all-female shortlist. The party's National Executive Committee (NEC) has decided to impose an all-woman list, despite the views of the local party. Elsie Ma
CUMBRIA Police had "unprecedented levels" of demand over the summer – exceeding even the emergency calls received during Storm Desmond. The head of the National Police Chief’s Council, Sara Thornton, spoke out last week about the...
A man has appeared in court charged with possessing a firearm with intent to commit robbery. Darrell Eve, 28, of Main Road, Flimby, appeared at Workington Magistrates' Court today (Monday). He has been charged with carrying an air pistol with intent to c
More than 300 bus drivers across Cumbria are planning to strike following a dispute over pay. Stagecoach drivers from depots in Carlisle, west Cumbria, Penrith, Barrow and Kendal are set to stage a walkout on October 2. The stand-off between the company
An elderly man was airlifted to hospital after breaking his leg in Whitehaven. The Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) was called to the town at 1pm yesterday. They were asked to assist the North West Ambulance Service after the man, believed to be
- 21:37 Michelle Keegan's fashion collection with Very: The actress shows...
- 21:36 North Korea warns Donald Trump will receive ‘merciless divine...
- 21:35 It movie: Child star admits he was ‘TOO SCARED’ of horror movies
- 21:33 A1 shut near Leeds after collision and spill
- 21:31 New city centre bar could be coming to Godstall Lane
- 21:31 Tottenham news: Christian Eriksen and SIX others injured but I...
- 21:30 Jamie Carragher: Liverpool fans aren’t being entertained by current...
- 21:30 Child 'was shown IS beheading video by Leicester man'
- 21:28 It's a Knockout wows crowds in Barrow Park
- 21:28 UPDATE: Ferry Road in Barrow re-opened following traffic accident
- 21:28 Tailbacks on the A590 near Newby Bridge following road traffic...
- 21:23 Coronation Street spoilers: Who is watching Bethany Platt and is...
- 21:23 David Walliams suggests Liam and Noel Gallagher should duke it out...
- 21:23 Watch as crazed road rage dad mows down teacher on school run
- 21:22 How you can show your support for Huddersfield Town - and Poppy Day
- 21:17 Aston Villa 1 Brighton U23 0: Jordan Lyden pounces at the death as...
- 21:16 Chelsea News: Diego Costa transfer saga 'wrong' - Cesc Fabregas
- 21:16 The racial gap in cancer research: Study warns lack of ethnic...
- 21:16 SMILE when you go for the flu jab - it will give you better...
- 21:15 Shamed Cleethorpes detective keeps his job after tearful appeal to...
- 21:15 Fans warned against violence ahead of Mariners' clash with Imps
- 21:12 Double-decker bus hits building in exact same spot as crash last week
- 21:12 Your next to-go coffee could come with a huge cancer warning
- 21:09 How Labour's conference has revealed huge divisions in the party
- 21:09 Chef beaten up by students in city centre attack outside Head of Steam
- 21:04 US man cycles in 'wrong Birmingham' race
- 21:01 Kate Hudson praises her ‘low maintenance’ buzz cut – even if it...
- 21:01 REVEALED: How flight attendants get to avoid THIS part of the...
- 20:57 Police concerned for missing County Durham man who has dementia
- 20:57 Liverpool news: Why I don't enjoy watching Jurgen Klopp’s side -...