News from News Guardian
Every parent wants the best start in life for their child, which is why schools are so important. In North Tyneside a remarkable 95 per cent of our children attend a Good or Outstanding Ofsted-rated school, which is a higher proportion than any local aut
A much-loved ice cream seller is heading back to Whitley Bay beach front. The Di Meo family, who run the award-winning ice cream parlour in Marine Avenue, are returning with a stall on Watts Slope. A permanent, year-round, ice cream kiosk – painted in th
An urgent care centre is to remain closed overnight for another three months. Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has revealed today that the temporary measure – put in place on December 1 – is being extended. The centre at North Tyneside General
Officials behind a trampoline park are jumping for joy as it nears its opening date. A white dome has appeared near Royal Quays Outlet Park in North Shields, which will house the ground-breaking new trampoline centre Xtreme Bounce. The £1million developm
North-East politicians have relived their experiences of yesterday’s attack in London, with one describing a scene of carnage. The attacker – who has not yet been named – drove a car along a pavement on Westminster Bridge knocking down pedestrians, creat
Even chocoholics might have their work cut out with a Whitley Bay cafe’s latest fundraising initiative. Eden Cafe, run by Rob and Janice Eden-Bagley, is raffling a giant Easter egg in aid of St Oswald’s Hospice. The egg, made with Belgian dark chocolate,
A new Specsavers store is backing this year’s Red Nose Day. The store at Killingworth shopping centre is encouraging customers to pop in and buy a pair of fun glasses to support Red Nose Day on Friday. Mayor Norma Redfearn has backed the initiative, and
Heartless thieves have stolen precious items from a terminally ill youngster. Parents of four-year-old Milo have been left devastated after yobs broke into their North Shields home to steal items and ransack through the rooms. The family had been staying
Police are appealing for witnesses after a woman was pushed to the ground and sexually assaulted. The 22-year-old woman was walking south along George Road, Wallsend, when she was approached from behind by an unknown man near the junction with Philliphau
A heart transplant patient has stepped out in North Tyneside as part of his challenge to raise £100,000. Kieran Sandwell is taking part in a 5,000-mile trek around Britain in aid of the British Heart Foundation. The 45-year-old, from Berkhamsted in Hertf
Millions of parents can pre-register from today for the Government’s new childcare offers, with around 90,000 families in the North East set to be eligible for tax-free childcare. A new Childcare Choices website has been launched – www.childcarechoices.g
Volunteers braved the cold, wind and rain to start work improving an area of North Shields. Supported by Groundwork NE and Tynemouth Army Reservists, they carried out work on North Shields Bankside. Self-sown trees were removed, older trees had their cro
Employers have been honoured for their commitment to workplace health and wellbeing. Businesses from across Northumberland, North Tyneside and Newcastle attended the North East Better Health at Work Awards (BHAWA), hosted by BBC Radio Newcastle presenter
A man has been charged with the murder of a 39-year-old in Whitley Bay. Detectives investigating the death of Matthew Davis have charged Tony Dodds with murder. The 25-year-old, of Hillheads Road, in Whitley Bay, has been remanded in custody to appear be
Plans for a new ‘green’ energy plant have been narrowly approved despite hundreds of objections. The Port of Tyne had submitted proposals for Howdon Green Energy Park, which would generate up to 25 megawatts of renewable energy each year using ‘gasificat
- 18:25 Sergio Romero reveals weird obsession with his Manchester United kit
- 18:24 Nottingham schools could lose out on millions in Government funding
- 18:24 See the amazing miniature food that looks so real you want to eat it
- 18:24 Mikael Forssell exclusive: Ex-Birmingham City star looks back at...
- 18:24 Aston Villa's Albert Adomah on painting & decorating and being...
- 18:24 CCTV image issued after chainsaw theft near Bourne
- 18:24 Birmingham City Under 23s extend unbeaten run at Sheffield United
- 18:23 Ander Herrera reveals amazing secret about Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 18:22 Birmingham Moseley taking nothing for granted against struggling...
- 18:22 Aldi to open SIXTH Coventry store - and they're hiring
- 18:21 Squash is a ‘great’ sport to teach, say Doncaster brothers
- 18:21 Appeal to trace South Yorkshire owner of stolen rose gold iPhone 6
- 18:20 Sheffield man accused of sexually assaulting vulnerable women says...
- 18:20 Appeal to trace South Yorkshire owner of stolen rose gold iPhone 6
- 18:20 Fire breaks out at Bangladesh central bank
- 18:20 Cobblers winger Sonupe joins Kidderminster on loan
- 18:20 EU refugee policy unsustainable, says Council of Europe commissioner
- 18:19 Mum sobs in court after smashing up equipment at Lincoln hospital
- 18:17 Two men jailed after trying to sell handgun linked to terrifying...
- 18:17 Pointless presenter Alexander Armstrong left unnerved by THIS...
- 18:17 REVEALED: 14 ways to keep kids entertained on flights WITHOUT...
- 18:17 Anti-ageing drug could be on the market in three years, say scientists
- 18:16 Mark McGhee urges Scotland fans to turn out in numbers for Slovenia...
- 18:16 Watch as Leicester mum shaves her head for charity
- 18:16 Bayern Munich being sued after Manchester United incident
- 18:16 Amber Valley residents urged to remain vigilant after several...
- 18:16 Southampton star Nathan Redmond reveals England aim
- 18:15 Your Kodi box could soon be declared illegal
- 18:15 London attack: Home secretary says don't blame intelligence agencies
- 18:14 Moldova says no response from Russia on money-laundering probe