News from Matlock Mercury
An image of a suitcase similar to the one found containing the burnt remains of a murder victim has been released by detectives. The identity of the man remains unknown and police are now widening their inquiries to including missing people cases from a
A drug-user has been ordered to pay £195 after she was caught with heroin and crack-cocaine in a pub car park. Chesterfield magistrates’ court on Thursday, October 20, how Victoria Palanzula Bowskill, 32, of Cuttholme Road, Chesterfield, had been in the
Derbyshire Constabulary is currently experiencing technical difficulties with its 101 non-emergency number. Callers have been reporting that they are experiencing an engaged tone when they have tried to call. Derbyshire Police say engineers are working t
The latest Chesterfield magistrates’ court results as published in the October 20 edition of the Derbyshire Times are listed below. Motoring Ian David Flower, 52, of Bakestone Moor, Whitwell. Pleaded guilty to exceeding the alcohol drink-drive limit. Fin
New Bath Hotel and Spa Matlock Bath’s spa town history is about to be re-instated as the village’s iconic New Bath Hotel is set to re-open next week. The 18th century building sold at auction last year for £930,000 - well under its asking price of £2,500
An educational pioneer is set help youngsters across Chesterfield and Derbyshire develop their speech, language and communication skills. Tracy Rodgers has already trained staff at Birley Pre-School, Bright Beginners Nursery, Croft Corner Forest School N
TV channel More4 is looking for Derbyshire pensioners doing exciting and unusual things in their retirement for a new documentary. The channel is appealing for people aged 65 or over who have an unusual job, are enjoying a newfound creativity or who are
Fines for Derbyshire parents who take their children out of school during term-time are to be scrapped - but only for some. The county council is adopting a number of measures, including instructing headteachers not to issue fines to parents taking their
The UK’s biggest builders merchant, Travis Perkins, whose businesses include DIY chain Wickes, is closing 30 branches, putting 600 jobs at risk. The branches will be shut across its trade businesses, while it is also closing 10 smaller distribution centr
The Met Office forecast for the East Midlands for today is for a cool and breezy day with scattered showers spreading from the east. Most parts starting dry with bright or sunny spells, but scattered showers developing near the Lincolnshire coast will sp
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes. Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year. Li
A hiker died after suffering from chest pains while walking on the Pennine Way in Derbyshire. On the evening of Saturday October 15, the Buxton and Edale Mountain Rescue Team were called by the East Midlands Ambulance Service, following reports of a man
Derbyshire County Council has paid out more than £220,000 for damage to vehicles caused by potholes in the last three years. A total of 1,833 claims were made against the authority between 2013 and 2016, with the total for successful claims standing at £
‘Save our beds’ was the rallying cry in Matlock on Saturday morning as hundreds marched against cutbacks at the town’s Whitworth Hospital. The march - which was organised by the Matlock Hospitals League of Friends - was to protest against the closure of
A 96-year-old woman’s life was saved after a portable misting system put out a fire which started while she was sleeping. At 6pm on Saturday October 15, firefighters attended the Cotmanhay home of a 96-year-old female who had fallen asleep whilst smoking
- 12:16 Readers outrage over uniformed veterans being 'discouraged' from...
- 12:14 Disgraced footballer Adam Johnson slashes price of mansion
- 12:14 Halloween 2016 is almost here - send us your Spooky Snaps
- 12:14 Roe-deer hunting on horseback with hounds booming in France
- 12:13 Latics guest columnist Adam Bogdan says determination will pay...
- 12:13 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:13 Internet romance scams: 'I realise was being groomed'
- 12:12 Disgraced footballer Adam Johnson slashes price of mansion
- 12:12 Migrant comments led to 'spanking', says BBC's Lineker, but won't...
- 12:12 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:11 Gary Lineker hits back after calls for BBC to sack him from Match...
- 12:11 Steven Gerrard reveals just what it takes to be Liverpool captain
- 12:11 Man ‘discovers live maggots’ in porridge but only after he’d eaten...
- 12:11 Sustainability and transformation plans are 'least bad option' for NHS
- 12:10 Community hub plan finally making some progress after delay
- 12:10 Residents against parking proposal
- 12:10 Why leaves on the line might delay your train journey
- 12:10 Pub’s relaunch is out of the starting blocks with sports bar revamp
- 12:10 Watch incredible CCTV showing gang carrying out Mission Impossible...
- 12:09 Bear visitor captured on video by ex-pat Hartlepool man
- 12:09 Ruby the parrot stolen from her Hartlepool homw
- 12:09 Gary Lineker Twitter storm poll: Did Match of the Day host cross...
- 12:09 Hall Street homes plan rejected
- 12:09 Teen takes on 300km coast-to-coast challenge
- 12:09 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:09 What Manchester United boss Mourinho had to say about Chelsea ahead...
- 12:08 Ice with that? No problem! Inside the world's southernmost bar in...
- 12:09 Kettering charity in desperate appeal after being told of impending...
- 12:08 The world's most VIP island: Inside the luxury Philippines resort...
- 12:08 Fancy a guilt-free holiday? The world's most eco-friendly hot spots...