News from Leicester Mercury
Aldi will be opening its first store in Rutland next week. The German supermarket chain is to throw open the doors of its new shop in Hackamore Way, Oakham, on Thursday November 3. The store will open at 8am with a special golden ticket event with the fi
A former World Fitness Champion who has worked as Angelina Jolie's body double has got back into shape with help from a city gym. Sarah Donohue got out of shape after abandoning her fitness regime and spending 18 months scoffing curries and drinking inst
With the apprenticeship levy coming in next year, Isobel Frodsham finds out how businesses can benefit from the new funding scheme In his Autumn Statement last year, the former Chancellor George Osborne announced a new plan to fund apprenticeships in Eng
Business Executive Awards: Just Hype, Snooks and Watch. This. Space are up for young executive award
A ski wear company, a boutique and a clothing business are finalists in the Leicester Mercury Business Executive Awards. Snooks, based in Loughborough, Watch. This. Space boutique, in Leicester city centre, and Just Hype, of Wigston, have all been nomina
That's more like it. Leicester City took their Champions League form right back into the Premier League with their 3-1 victory over Crystal Palace. Shinji Okazaki showed his crucial influence to Claudio Ranieri's side while Ahmed Musa and Christian Fuchs
The nostalgic photo I published of old shops in Highfields' Conduit Street brought back memories for reader Horace Gamble, who provides interesting recollections of this much-changed part of Leicester. "I recognised instantly your photo of Upper...
Demarai Gray was on target as Leicester City under-23s picked up their first win of the Premier League 2 campaign. The England under-21, who missed out on the European Golden Boy award for the best under-21 player in Europe to Bayern Munich's Renato Sanc
Let's see if today's live Leicester City blog can carry on the crest of the wave. Following on from the feel-good factor of the wonderful Premier League performance against Crystal Palace last weekend, there was more good news for the club last night as
A 78-year-old driver was travelling in the wrong direction on a dual carriageway when she killed a motorcyclist in a head-on crash, a court heard. Popular maintenance engineer, Ian Massey, 51, a married dad-of-four daughters, of Enderby, was pronounced d
Little Mia Phipps raises her thumbs for the camera as she prepares for the bone marrow transplant which her family hopes will help her win her battle against leukaemia. The five-year-old was in surgery for six-and-a-half-hours at Sheffield Children's Hos
Today temperatures will peak at about 13C (55F) in the city and there should be some sunshine between the clouds throughout most of the day. Wind speeds will be low at about 4mph and it should remain overcast throughout the evening and the night, keeping
Jamie Lewis is proud of his Leicester heritage – and over the years he has done plenty to show it. Business Editor Tom Pegden spoke to him about plans for his property empire Jamie Lewis is the definition of a self-made man, building up a multi-million p
Everyone likes a good laugh so it is good to know the Leicester Comedy Festival is confirmed for 2017. Deputy Business Editor Lauren Mills spoke to festival director Geoff Rowe about what it takes to put on the show After TV channel Dave, the Leicester C
As this year's Business Executive Awards draw closer, anticipation is building about the potential winners, writes Business Reporter Isobel Frodsham. The ceremony, which is taking place on Thursday, November 3 at the King Power Stadium, will champion the
Leicester City Council has launched a graduate development programme as it strives to attract more young talent from the county's universities. Deputy Business Editor Lauren Mills reports Leicester City Council has been on a hiring spree with 24 new grad
- 13:05 Charity foundation will be caring Josh's lasting legacy
- 13:03 Aldi set to open first store in Rutland - with special golden...
- 13:02 Monte Paschi sub debt rallies on liability management proposal
- 13:02 VIDEO - Check out the world’s first airbag for cyclists
- 13:02 'Sick crew' BA jet diverted to Vancouver
- 13:01 Fall in number of crimes and anti-social behaviour incidents...
- 13:01 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 13:01 Support growing for finalists in contest
- 13:01 Thug who battered partner to death after finding her in bed with...
- 13:01 Beijing threatens legal action over webcam claims
- 13:01 Smartwatch sales show sharp decline, report finds
- 13:00 Family’s mission to help others
- 13:00 Bastian Schweinsteiger can lift Manchester United - Manuel Neuer
- 13:00 Chris Ashton to join Toulon from Saracens at the end of this season
- 13:00 Henrikh Mkhitaryan was supposed to show that Manchester United can...
- 12:59 Reunion event for workers of Bloom & Billet Mill set to take place
- 12:59 Season's first seal pups born at Lincolnshire nature reserve
- 12:59 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Scunthorpe?
- 12:59 Scunthorpe United look for good away following at Charlton Athletic...
- 12:59 Last tenant moves out as bulldozers are set to move in on Albert...
- 12:59 Government commits to using UK steel after giving backing to...
- 12:59 Anniversary for family run Whaley Bridge company
- 12:58 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 12:58 HK legislature delays swearing-in of pro-independence lawmakers...
- 12:58 Woman's agonising TWO-AND-A-HALF-YEAR wait for pain relief treatment
- 12:57 Screws placed around victim's car after vandals target home
- 12:56 Zac Goldsmith set to quit as MP over Heathrow decision
- 12:55 Councils aren't paying enough to cover the costs of home care for...
- 12:55 Wildlife broadcaster Simon King officially opens Gibraltar Point...
- 12:55 Four tonnes of asbestos fly-tipped near Marshchapel