News from Harborough Mail
Three-quarters of Brits are what is described as ‘micro-criminals’ - committing tiny crimes in shops and online to get a better deal. Research by YouGov found that 74 per cent of UK citizens had perpetrated at least one very minor crime. Most common was
It’s almost that time - don’t get caught out. The lighter nights officially come to an end on Sunday October 30 when the clocks go back an hour, finally seeing off British Summer Time (BST). Greenwich Mean Time kicks at 2am, when the clocks go back to 1a
Market Harborough’s CCTV system only works “intermittently”, a crime prevention meeting was told this week. The revelation came in a meeting between Police and Crime Commissioner Lord Bach and businesses affected by the recent crime wave in the town. Cou
Migraine sufferers should avoid eating processed meats and leafy greens because they increase the level of nitrates which may cause the debilitating headaches. Researchers discovered that people with migraines harbour significantly more nitrate microbes
Three quarters of parents are worried that using phones, tablets and games consoles is affecting their children’s performance at school. A new study looking at the impact of mobile devices on the lives of youngsters found that 75 per cent of parents felt
Eggs of a mosquito capable of carrying the zika virus have been found in a small village in England. Fifteen homeowners in the Kent area were hand delivered letters on Friday telling them that a small number of Asian Tiger Mosquito eggs had been found ne
A new town created east of Lutterworth is still the best option for major development in the Harborough district, councillors have decided. The new town (in blue in the map on the right) would eventually be home to around 7,000 people in 2,750 homes. It
Councils in England issued almost £7 million worth of fines to parents in a single year for pupils’ unauthorised absences from school, figures show. More than 114,000 fines were handed out in the 2015/16 academic year, according to data released followin
Coffee lovers who fancy something more than a caffeine kick may be in luck - as a Costa Coffee could be set to add booze to its menu. The branch, located in the posh borough of Wandsworth, south west London, claims it is the first coffee shop in the UK t
The invasion of ‘killer’ Asian hornets into the UK appears worse than initially thought after a SECOND sighting in a separate location was confirmed. Last weekend, the National Bee Unit announced that a pumpkin-sized nest at the top of a 55 ft conifer tr
Dozens of youngsters from Hastings and Wealden celebrated their graduation from the National Citizen Service at a glamorous ceremony held at The Hastings Centre on September 24. The event saw the successful graduation of 163 young people who had taken pa
Men’s health charity Mo’ket Harborough is back, with big plans for money-raising throughout the month of “Movember”. The local charity has spun off from the national charity, which asked men to grow a moustache in November to raise money and awareness fo
Former Wilbarston primary school teacher from who fantasised about committing ‘vile’ offences involving...
A former primary school teacher has avoided a jail sentence after he admitted downloading images of child abuse on his computer. Gordon Phillips, who has been a teacher for 25 years, pretended to be female in online chatrooms where he talked about how he
Market Harborough has made the final three in a competition to find the UK’s best high streets. The town is one of three on the shortlist in the Large Market Town category, along with Hinckley and Bridgenorth. This year’s competition saw a record 900 ent
Sellers of zombie knives will face jail from this week as a ban on the “horrific” weapons comes into force. Ministers launched a crackdown on the blades, which can be up to two foot-long with a serrated edge and carry images or words that glamorise viole
- 11:16 Jobless South Tyneside man vows to donate quarter of his wages to...
- 11:16 Leicester City news and transfer rumours – recap: Mahrez and Vardy...
- 11:16 Assault accused police inspector stopped from retiring pending...
- 11:15 Filmmakers arrive at significant milestone
- 11:15 VIDEO: The world’s first airbag for cyclists ‘already saving lives’
- 11:14 EU to investigate O2 CZ, T-Mobile CZ network sharing deal
- 11:14 Weldon house plan: developer’s claims are ‘codswallop’
- 11:14 REVIEW: Cats, Milton Keynes Theatre
- 11:14 Greece approved for £2.5BILLION eurozone bailout funds
- 11:13 VIDEO: The world’s first airbag for cyclists ‘already saving lives’
- 11:13 VIDEO - Check out the world’s first airbag for cyclists
- 11:13 How to spot if your new fiver is fake - here are six things to look...
- 11:13 ‘Massive and sustained’ hacking attack triggers webcam recall
- 11:13 Pokemon Go announce Hallowe’en-themed update for this week
- 11:13 North Sunderland go on a goal spree in NNL Bilclough Cup
- 11:13 Biggest defeat of the season for Amateurs
- 11:12 Couple land £25,000 as village wins Lottery again
- 11:12 Livingston basketball teen Leah Stewart makes winning start to life...
- 11:12 Chelsea ace Lewis Baker involved in mass brawl after being pelted...
- 11:12 Slaven Bilic defends Antonio Conte on Jose Mourinho row: This is...
- 11:12 Ten arrests and cars and dogs seized as part of crackdown on hare...
- 11:12 Mourinho's masterplan? Man City training invaded by pigeons ahead...
- 11:12 Hartlepool primary fails to make the grade
- 11:12 Shopping centre heroes handed award for saving Hartlepool girl’s life
- 11:11 Radioactive leak at nuclear research reactor in Norway
- 11:11 VIDEO: The world’s first airbag for cyclists ‘already saving lives’
- 11:11 Paul Pogba’s situation at Manchester United reminds me of Mesut...
- 11:11 Couple land £25,000 as village wins Lottery again
- 11:10 Championship news: Chelsea legend set for Nottingham Forest job?...
- 11:10 Drink driver who left teen girls seriously injured after horror...