News from Halifax Courier
A Brighouse venue which has been is in the middle of a legal wrangle involving a London hotel for months has closed, cancelling all its future events and refunding customers. The Brighouse Ritz, which is used for ballroom dancing, live music and Northern
IT WAS a stellar cast by any standard: Kevin Bacon, Stanley Tucci and Richard E Grant. But they all took second billing to a farmer’s son from Halifax. Soyland-born Francis Lee had gone to the gala launch of the Edinburgh International Film Festival an u
West Yorkshire’s former Chief Constable racked up more than £19,000 in travel costs in the 15 months before he retired from the force, new figures have revealed. The total for Mark Gilmore’s car hire, flights, rail travel, accommodation and conference fe
A dedicated volunteer who is celebrating their 30th anniversary with the RSPCA Halifax, Huddersfield and District branch has been awarded one of the charity’s top honours. Kathryn Airey was given the RSPCA’s Queen Victoria Gold Medal at a prestigious cer
AWARD-WINNING jeweller Andrew Geoghegan is gest at a Hebden Bridge jeweller’s eighth annual designer event, which aims to help promote the work of the best craftsmen and women around. Andrew will be at Element Jewellery, which is in Market Street, from 1
There are calls for visitors to Gaddings Dam to be more considerate after scenes of “total bedlam” during the recent spell of hot weather. The Lumbutts beauty spot, often said to be Britain’s highest beach, is a huge pull for sun-seekers when temperature
A BOTTLE Of champagne is among stolen items police want to return to owners after three people were arrested and items seized during a burglary investigation in Halifax. A man and woman both aged 39 were arrested from an address on Norman Street in the K
POLICE are appealing for witnesses after a man was seriously injured when he was struck by a bus in Huddersfield Police said a single decker bus was in collision with a 60-year-old man on Longwood Road, Huddersfield, just after 10.30am today. (Thurs June
Trains are set to grind to a hall during a three-day strike by staff at Arriva Rail North. The RMT union said the industrial action would be held on from Saturday, July 8, in a long-running dispute over staffing and driver-only trains. The union wants a
ALLEZ! French Day is returning to West Yorkshire for a third year and this time around it takes place in Todmorden! The Golden Lion pub in Fielden Square, close to the town centre, is hosting the event which aims to give people the chance to experience F
Halifax-based chartered financial advisors, Investing For Tomorrow, will welcome the town’s 1987 champion rugby league team to The Shay stadium - 30 years after their victory at the Challenge Cup final at Wembley. A weekend of celebrations for the Halifa
Strike up the band - it’s gala time! Mytholmroyd Gala swings into action at noon on Saturday, June 24, with an opening set from Hebden Bridge Junior Band. Due to a lack of parade marshalls it had been decided there would be no parade this year but there
Mill Bank village has been having a hoot this month as part of its annual Mill bank owl Hunt event, which has been raising money for a new classroom at the local primary school, St Mary’s. The theme this year was Around the World in 80 Owls, and the trai
Hundreds turned out to Arden Road Social Club to see local bands Crosscut Saw, the Tragics, Fez and LITTLEgiants play live at a fundraising gig for the Puzzle Hall Inn. The event was organised by the Friends of Puzzle Hall Inn community group, who are ra
A volunteer from the Whiteknights Yorkshire Blood Bikes group embarked on a remarkable ride from Halifax to London to deliver an urgent sample of blood. Michael Lobban, from Bradford, answered the call to take a patient’s blood sample from Calderdale Roy
- 13:15 The huge new shopping developments opening in and near Birmingham
- 13:15 Perth City Swim Club member Scott McLay set for a busy summer
- 13:15 Livingston start Championship season at home to Dunfermline Athletic
- 13:15 Livingston boss David Hopkin asks fans to be "realistic" in hopes...
- 13:14 Man City target Alexis Sanchez responds to questions about his...
- 13:14 Saudi security forces kill "wanted man" in Mecca - Arabiya TV
- 13:14 Teenage girl in critical condition after being hit by car in Leeds...
- 13:13 Hinkley Point report shows the need for public money for Moorside,...
- 13:13 Merkel facing embarrassment over allegations Germany SPIED on US...
- 13:13 Discover the Freemason's 'secrets' in open event
- 13:12 Couple buy former hotel and pub building and plan to redevelop it
- 13:12 Stormy Stan makes an appearance at village carnival
- 13:12 Gambling addict who stole over £38,000 from Lincolnshire County...
- 13:11 Northampton housing association stands by 'stay in the flat policy'...
- 13:11 CCTV images released of men connected to Northampton assault where...
- 13:10 Find out if it is ever legally too hot to be at work
- 13:09 Make a donation to Melissa who is cycling in The Melton Pork Pie Pedal
- 13:09 Brexit one year on: What has happened in 12 months and what happens...
- 13:09 Stratford murderer loses bid to clear his name at Court of Appeal
- 13:09 Gambling addict who stole over £38,000 from Lincolnshire County...
- 13:08 Teenager with severe frostbite faced having his hands amputated...
- 13:08 Desk declutter save's life of TV producer: Glamorous 33-year-old...
- 13:08 Teenagers binge-drink because they hate their bodies - not because...
- 13:06 Man found dead at Rhyl hotel
- 13:06 Brexit: What is UK offering EU citizens?
- 13:06 Ireland could review cap on bank share sales - finance minister
- 13:06 McDonald's bring back the Big Tasty - but you don't have long to...
- 13:06 Sunderland to Newcastle bus service axed as changes announced to...
- 13:05 Council announces £900,000 blitz on South Kesteven ‘grot spots’
- 13:05 Moretonville Junior Football Club named best in the South of England