News from Guardian
An outbreak of avian influenza has been detected at the historic Abbotsbury swannery in Dorset, where 80 birds have died. The H5N8 strain of bird flu has been confirmed in nine mute swans but testing stops once the presence of the disease has been establ
Theresa May has spoken about the government’s plans to reduce stigma surrounding mental illness, with a focus on social efforts in workplaces and schools rather than extra money for services. We will reduce stigma around mental illness, says Theresa May
Dentists have devised a treatment to regenerate rotten teeth that could substantially reduce the need for fillings in the future. The therapy works by enhancing the natural ability of teeth to repair themselves through the activation of stem cells in the
The most valuable thing in Devganga Sawra’s hut is a memory card wrapped in lined notepaper and hidden in an earthen pot by the family shrine. The card, barely the size of his fingernail, has the only four images of his youngest son, Vishwarnam. “You hav
The government is to announce measures aimed at reducing the stigma surrounding mental illness, the prime minister has said, claiming social efforts were more important than providing extra money for services. Theresa May said the importance of support n
Paramedics have accused their own NHS ambulance service of endangering lives in a bid to save money by cutting a system under which they abandon meal breaks to respond to patients with life-threatening conditions. Crews at the South East Coast ambulance
The Guardian asked a number of doctors working in A&E departments across the country to explain how their departments have coped over the past seven days, said to have been the worst week ever for NHS emergency departments. These are some of their...
Plans for a new fleet of UK nuclear power plants are under way. Last month, for example, Hitachi and the Japanese government confirmed a plan to construct 5.4 gigawatts of generating capacity at UK sites. But what about the waste? And what happens when,
New year, new tenuously legitimate diet rooted in spirituality. The Buddha diet is one of January’s horde. Ostensibly rooted in sensible, restrictive eating, it’s also one of the latest examples of consumer society co-opting asceticism to sell stuff. The
New federal rules went into effect last week that ban the use of antibiotics to help livestock gain weight, a practice that leads to antibiotic-resistant bacteria that pose health threats to humans. Meat producers will also need a veterinary prescription
Theresa May has rejected claims by the British Red Cross of a “humanitarian crisis” in the health system but acknowledged there were “huge pressures” on the NHS. “I don’t accept the description the Red Cross has made of this,” the prime minister said. “Y
Bird flu has been found in a small flock in a back yard in North Yorkshire, the UK’s chief veterinary officer said, warning that people who kept chickens and ducks in their gardens needed to be vigilant. A 3km protection zone and a 10km surveillance zone
Comfortably seated in the fertility clinic with Vivaldi playing softly in the background, you and your partner are brought coffee and a folder. Inside the folder is an embryo menu. Each embryo has a description, something like this: Embryo 78 – male • No
Many of us may already be struggling with our New Year’s resolutions, but at least we can take comfort in modern neuroscience. Forty years ago, we’d have been less hopeful. Back then neuroscience would say that the brain was fixed after early childhood.
A study published in the Journal of Oral Rehabilitation reports that more than 100,000 A&E visits a year are caused by tooth problems, with patients trying to avoid NHS dental charges by going to hospitals for free treatment, frequently at...
- 10:44 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:44 Council plans a further £34m of cuts and a council tax increase
- 10:43 Girl, 5, and woman knocked to floor after collision with car in Leeds
- 10:42 Teenager remains critical after collision on busy South Tyneside road
- 10:42 Hundreds oppose plan to turn village's last pub into a house
- 10:42 Liverpool v Wolves: Fans snap up FA Cup tickets
- 10:41 Carlisle pair threw lit fireworks from car during police chase
- 10:40 Bid to improve residents’ health
- 10:39 PM 'confident' of striking trade deal with US
- 10:39 Snow falls in parts of Spain for the first time in over a century
- 10:39 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:39 Super scooter keeps David flying high
- 10:38 Does the sad state of Florence Nightingale statue speak volumes...
- 10:38 Leonne Weeks: Murder accused Shea Peter Heeley in court
- 10:37 The weeks best new DVDs to buy or stream
- 10:35 Chest mounted video cameras issued to EVERY frontline North Wales...
- 10:35 Arsenal to use Alexis Sanchez to land top European midfielder
- 10:34 ‘Bedtime stories for adults’ prove online hit
- 10:33 Images of Yesteryear
- 10:33 Monte Carlo World Rally Championship 2017 kicks off - Everything...
- 10:31 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 10:31 Police crime report for Ashfield South
- 10:31 Ex-England defender reveals how Chelsea players feel about Diego...
- 10:30 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:30 Mel Gibson returns to the silver screen in big style with WWII...
- 10:28 Sky is putting its prices up in March and this is how you can stop it
- 10:28 Transfer News: Arsenal hijack Everton, Chelsea snub to cause Leeds...
- 10:26 How Man City should line up against Tottenham
- 10:26 Tom Daley admits to ‘online sex session with fan’
- 10:25 RSPCA West Midlands: Bucky, Madge and Prince are waiting to be adopted