News from Guardian
Monday Even if it was primarily intended as a diversionary tactic to stop people asking her about Brexit for a few days, it was good to hear Theresa May talking about making mental health a priority. Though I couldn’t help thinking her words might have s
This week, vaccine skeptic Robert F Kennedy Jr announced that he’d been nominated by President Elect Donald Trump to chair a commission on vaccine safety. A few hours later, the transition team issued a statement saying that that Trump was “exploring the
More than 40% of hospitals had to declare an alert in the first week of January because they were experiencing major problems caused by having too many patients and too few spare beds. Figures released by NHS England on Friday also show that 32 people ha
Shreya Tripathi sleeps most of the day. At night, she lies awake. Only 18, she has been fighting tuberculosis for five years. Her voice on the telephone from her home in Patna, eastern India, is a whisper. If she speaks for more than a few minutes, she b
Public libraries’ significant role supporting the mental health of young people risks being undermined by swingeing budget cuts forced on local authorities, the head of their professional body warned this week. He added that, if funding is not protected,
The biggest crisis facing the NHS is that, no matter how high or low the funding, transformational change fails to happen. It is easy to justify why reform is so slow and patchy currently, but neither did it happen in the years following the NHS Plan in
Simon Stevens intends to remain as the boss of NHS England for at least the next two years and tough out his tense relationship with Theresa May, despite Downing Street aides briefing against him. The chief executive will keep setting out his views about
Freezing temperatures sweeping the UK risk plunging struggling hospitals into a deeper level of crisis as the NHS enters its busiest three weeks of the year, health bosses have said. Hospitals are braced for a sudden spike in emergency admissions for bro
Believe hard enough, and you can get what you want. Or at any rate that’s the theory behind the fashionable cult of manifestation, as championed by Oprah; focus on your heart’s desire, tell yourself you’re going to get it, and it’s amazing what positive
Prime minister’s questions, when the House of Commons works itself into an adversarial frenzy, is not a forum made for non-partisan collaboration. So it was not surprising when, on Wednesday, a request that Theresa May convene cross-party hearings on the
Yes, it’s true: Donald Trump is gaslighting us all, and the media is lending him a helping hand. The news gets more surreal every day: secret sources, Russian rendezvouses, pizza-based pedophile conspiracies. A constant cacophony of the outrageous and th
Dozens of hospitals in England have had to declare a black alert – the highest form of emergency status – this week after becoming so overcrowded that they could no longer guarantee patient safety and provide their full range of normal services. NHS cris
Richard Feynman said that the easiest person to fool is yourself. Fooling yourself is a particular danger for the well-educated, who see themselves as smart; and who in all likelihood tend to hang around with like-minded people of similar background and
Almost as soon as I stepped into dental school in the mid-1980s, an enthusiastic and wild-eyed child dental health lecturer thrust a Venn diagram in my face. Few who are not professional mathematicians can say that a Venn diagram shaped and guided the wh
A former Conservative health secretary has said it was “unfair” for Downing Street to hint that NHS England boss Simon Stevens was to blame for the winter crisis gripping the health service. Stephen Dorrell, now chair of the NHS Confederation, issued the
- 10:44 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:44 Council plans a further £34m of cuts and a council tax increase
- 10:43 Girl, 5, and woman knocked to floor after collision with car in Leeds
- 10:42 Teenager remains critical after collision on busy South Tyneside road
- 10:42 Hundreds oppose plan to turn village's last pub into a house
- 10:42 Liverpool v Wolves: Fans snap up FA Cup tickets
- 10:41 Carlisle pair threw lit fireworks from car during police chase
- 10:40 Bid to improve residents’ health
- 10:39 PM 'confident' of striking trade deal with US
- 10:39 Snow falls in parts of Spain for the first time in over a century
- 10:39 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:39 Super scooter keeps David flying high
- 10:38 Does the sad state of Florence Nightingale statue speak volumes...
- 10:38 Leonne Weeks: Murder accused Shea Peter Heeley in court
- 10:37 The weeks best new DVDs to buy or stream
- 10:35 Chest mounted video cameras issued to EVERY frontline North Wales...
- 10:35 Arsenal to use Alexis Sanchez to land top European midfielder
- 10:34 ‘Bedtime stories for adults’ prove online hit
- 10:33 Images of Yesteryear
- 10:33 Monte Carlo World Rally Championship 2017 kicks off - Everything...
- 10:31 Driver rescued after lorry crashes on A1
- 10:31 Police crime report for Ashfield South
- 10:31 Ex-England defender reveals how Chelsea players feel about Diego...
- 10:30 Fire crews battle bungalow blaze
- 10:30 Mel Gibson returns to the silver screen in big style with WWII...
- 10:28 Sky is putting its prices up in March and this is how you can stop it
- 10:28 Transfer News: Arsenal hijack Everton, Chelsea snub to cause Leeds...
- 10:26 How Man City should line up against Tottenham
- 10:26 Tom Daley admits to ‘online sex session with fan’
- 10:25 RSPCA West Midlands: Bucky, Madge and Prince are waiting to be adopted