News from Guardian
It’s the most important, meaningful and – for many – anxiety-provoking day of your life. You’re going to experience the rare privilege of being at the centre of the action as a new life begins. Added to this, you may well be naked and somewhat indisposed
The rate of abortion in the US reached a lower level in 2014 than in any other year since the procedure first became legal, a study has found, a decline that appears to be due to the widespread use of contraception producing a drop in unintended pregnanc
Hospitals and GP surgeries have always had a symbiotic relationship and the hospital crisis this winter has had a significant impact on the way that we are able to offer care to patients in the community. In our practice, demand has not changed significa
In the remote western plains of Texas, the Midland-Odessa region is separated from the nearest major city by hours of open road. So when the Planned Parenthood clinic in Midland closed down in late 2013 – a casualty of legislative cuts that targeted Plan
In 2015 I left the UK to provide humanitarian medical care to a refugee camp stuck in the midst of a civil war. The camp’s population quadrupled in the space of four months while I was there and the onset of the rainy season led to a demand for care that
In less than 12 months, two prime ministers have chosen to start their year with major speeches about mental health, committing themselves and their governments to a transformation of the mental health landscape. But as so many of the statistics and pers
A chronic shortage of midwives across the UK means women in labour are left feeling unsafe and frightened or as if they are being treated “like cattle” or “on a conveyor belt”, a new report has found. In a study of 2,500 women who have given birth since
Bird flu has been confirmed in a flock of about 6,000 turkeys at a farm in Lincolnshire, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has said. The H5N8 strain of avian flu – the same as that found in a flock of turkeys on a nearby farm
The news section of the Guardian on 14 January contained four pictures of the US president-elect (pages 6, 26, 28 and 41), not to mention the political cartoon rendering on page 29. It seems to me this is helping to create an icon. As I admire and apprec
Philip Hammond threatened in his interview with the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag to turn Britain into a low-tax offshore sweatshop, although he expressed a personal preference for a European model of social organisation. Just how distant his preferen
Authorities in the Channel Islands are looking at ways to protect residents and visitors from toxic beach gases following the death of a jogger in France that has been linked to the fumes from rotting seaweed. The government of Jersey said on Monday it w
The death of a young mother just hours after she gave birth to her second son was a result of “failures, inadequate diagnosis and treatment” at the hospital caring for her, a coroner has said. Frances Cappuccini, 30, died at Tunbridge Wells hospital in P
The first hint that the word “empowerment” had been hijacked by a force with sinister intentions came, for me, back in 2005 during an episode of ITV pop show CD:UK. That dark space. If Dove expects women to cheer up, it hasn’t been paying attention | Har
The number of people in Britain taking out private medical insurance has risen significantly for the first time since 2008, amid fears about the ongoing crisis gripping the NHS. After falling steeply between 2008 and 2011 and then staying flat, demand fo
Waking up today, on so-called Blue Monday, the “most depressing day of the year”, you may already be aware that this concept is based on a fraud. An almost deliciously spurious mathematical formula was dreamed up by a PR agency, given the veneer of acade
- 12:23 This is how Wayne Rooney celebrated breaking Manchester United's...
- 12:23 What to do if you need to call the police but it is too dangerous...
- 12:23 Woman unconscious after falling into Pocklington Beck
- 12:22 Newhall tip will now charge people for throwing away certain types...
- 12:22 Everton FC: Barkley remembers who he is while Davies follows up his...
- 12:20 Dumbarton FC blog: Frustrating defeat after string of impressive...
- 12:20 Send us your #SmearForSmear photos to raise awareness for Cervical...
- 12:19 Man City striker Gabriel Jesus opens up about debut frustration
- 12:18 From no food to roast dinners... the surgery that let me eat again:...
- 12:18 Air cadets show skills
- 12:18 Ivanka Trump: Donald’s daughter in pictures from child model to...
- 12:17 Chelsea have 'no doubts' over Diego Costa's commitment, says...
- 12:17 Ben Stokes fireworks help England set India 322 to win final one...
- 12:17 Roger Federer progresses to Australian Open quarter-final after...
- 12:16 School places issue in the political spotlight
- 12:14 It’s an unfolding miracle for Dakota
- 12:13 Winter restoration projects at historic Cumbrian hall are nearing...
- 12:13 Super-agent Jorge Mendes in talks with Chelsea over Diego Costa...
- 12:11 British woman’s five-year prison sentence on ‘secret...
- 12:11 Hat-trick of venues in the running for wedding award
- 12:11 Care home is rated as good after recent CQC inspection
- 12:11 Foul-mouthed woman assaulted hospital receptionist after bust-up...
- 12:10 Wrexham AFC fans left to wonder what might have been
- 12:09 2017 property crash would see £399 a week wiped off UK property values
- 12:08 ‘We need volunteers’: Burgh-le-Marsh Carnival is back
- 12:08 East Midlands Air Ambulance in demand
- 12:08 One in 13 has Type 2 diabetes, new figures show
- 12:08 New football academy will offer practical training and study in Oakham
- 12:08 Museum is back in business for 2017
- 12:07 MK Dons 5 Northampton Town 3 – match review, player ratings and...