News from Guardian
Antibiotics could be an effective alternative to surgery for treating children with appendicitis, research suggests. According to the NHS, appendicitis affects an estimated one in 13 people at some point in their life, with appendix removal the most comm
Alarming numbers of cancer doctors experience high levels of burnout, stress, sleep problems and depression, with some resorting to alcohol or sedatives to cope, research suggests. Meta-analysis of 43 existing studies, published on Friday in Psycho-Oncol
The House on Thursday approved a resolution that would permit states to withhold federal family-planning funds from affiliates of Planned Parenthood and other healthcare providers that offer abortions. Abortion foes immediately hailed the measure, which
A transportable brain-scanning helmet that could be used for rapid brain injury assessments of stroke victims and those felled on the sports pitch or battlefield is being tested by US scientists. The wearable device, known as the PET helmet, is a miniatu
A graphic Labour pamphlet warns voters in Copeland that a Tory victory in the by-election will “cost mums their children” in an open letter aimed at highlighting the risks of NHS cuts in the constituency. The handwritten letter in support of Labour candi
The marriage between Tini Owens and her multimillionaire mushroom farmer husband, Hugh, doesn’t sound like one that most of us would relish. She tried to divorce him last year, but was told by a judge that she couldn’t, because they hadn’t lived apart fo
The first thing I noticed was his mum: the concerned way she looked at him as they entered my room and took their seats, the way she shifted uncomfortably when I, a speech and language therapist, asked Brian* if he knew why he was here, the way her shoul
Britons are spending less on cigarettes, drugs and alcohol and more on eating out and hotels, according to the latest official snapshot of family spending. Weekly spending on booze, fags and narcotics fell below £12 for the first time since the survey be
At the age of three, Margaux Giraudon developed something akin to a smoker’s cough. Thereafter, she became all too familiar with the inside of her doctor’s office in Hong Kong. For years, her father Nicolas Giraudon was told the same thing by doctors: “Y
Air pollution could be a contributing factor in millions of premature births around the world each year, a new report has found. Nearly 15 million babies are born annually before reaching 37 weeks gestation. Premature birth is the leading cause of death
Social care in England is at risk of imminent collapse in the worst affected areas unless urgent steps are taken to address the crisis engulfing the sector, Age UK has warned. The charity’s latest report on the healthcare of older people calls for a cash
Adding vitamin D to food would reduce deaths and significantly cut NHS costs, say the authors of a major global study that shows it can reduce the risk of colds, flu and other dangerous infections such as pneumonia. A government advisory committee on nut
A third Labour MP has spoken of the “secrecy, shame and fear” of living with an alcoholic parent as she urged more government action to help the children of addicts. Caroline Flint, a former Labour minister, spoke of her “beautiful and kind” mother Wendy
The government is under growing pressure to stop a sharp increase in business rates for hospitals that threatens to increase the strain on the NHS. Changes to the business rates system mean that the 1,249 NHS hospitals liable for the property tax will se
Have you had cosmetic surgery and regretted it? It’s a question we posed to our readers after new data showed that the number of people choosing to go under the knife in Britain is the lowest in nearly a decade. Here is a selection of your responses: Ann
- 11:46 Model who dangled 1,000ft off Dubai skyscraper investigated by police
- 11:46 My journey to Miss Bikini Body: Dressing the part is motivating me...
- 11:45 Manchester City target Lionel Messi in £100m deal as superstar's...
- 11:44 Manchester United vs Reading U23s LIVE score and goal updates
- 11:43 Is this the best job in Lincoln? Game testers wanted!
- 11:42 Coventry woman caught carrying three kitchen knives in a public...
- 11:40 Part of M1 closed between J26 and J25 near Derby due to incident
- 11:40 10 things that are stopping you from getting a good night’s sleep
- 11:40 Vehicle fire closes two lanes on M1
- 11:39 Chelsea are a better team when Antonio Conte picks Cesc Fabregas,...
- 11:39 10 things that are stopping you from getting a good night’s sleep
- 11:38 Bad weather puts a dampener on weekly Bakewell market
- 11:38 10 things that are stopping you from getting a good night’s sleep
- 11:38 Vehicle fire closes two lanes on M1
- 11:38 WASPI CAMPAIGN: 1950s women demand action on pensions
- 11:36 Man United News: Woodward’s £1bn plan for Mourinho, £30m Arsenal...
- 11:34 Police to review 484 cases after criminal probe launched at...
- 11:34 This Bicester style village is coming to the Midlands - here's what...
- 11:34 Jordan Veretout: Midfielder on his Aston Villa future and Steve...
- 11:32 Unravelling tales about Edith
- 11:32 The first ever Muslim-friendly ‘modest’ fashion show is taking...
- 11:31 Flooded church reopens its doors to worshippers
- 11:31 Pensioner fighting for life in hospital after being hit by a taxi
- 11:30 COLUMN: How does your chippy measure up?
- 11:30 10 things that are stopping you from getting a good night’s sleep
- 11:30 Nottingham's Jazzie Mattis progresses to BBC's Let It Shine final
- 11:30 John Terry reveals what inspired Chelsea’s FA Cup win… it’s all to...
- 11:30 Beeston's Hannah lands role working for celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay
- 11:29 Ken Loach hits out at Government as he collects Bafta for North...
- 11:29 Tamworth FC boss Morrell is desperate for consistency