News from Guardian
Japan’s prime minister and his wife have been drawn directly into the growing scandal over an ultra-nationalist kindergarten, with a central figure claiming under oath that the pair made a secret donation. The kindergarten operator testified to parliamen
Gareth Southgate said his players should not be disheartened by their 1-0 defeat against Germany, arguing they had been the better side for the majority of the match. He also became the latest in a long line of England managers to face questions about th
Scott Morrison has confirmed the Coalition will try to force its $48bn corporate tax cut package through parliament as a whole, rather than splitting it into two smaller packages. But he has declined to say if he will include the package in the upcoming
The EU needs to speak to people’s “hopes and plans for tomorrow” if Europe is to avoid the “horrible hangover” of nationalism, one of the bloc’s most senior leaders has said. As European leaders prepare to gather in Rome on Saturday to mark 60 years of E
After dark on Exotic Street in China’s eastern city of Yiwu, three Yemeni boys crowd round a large charcoal barbecue rack selling lamb kebabs and baked breads. They order in confident Mandarin, chatting rapidly between themselves in Arabic. Inside the ad
Millions of people in their late 30s and early 40s look set to have to work for an extra year after an official review recommended pushing up the state pension age (SPA) more quickly than previously planned. The independent report said the SPA should ris
How do you make a swiss roll? Push him down a mountain. Sorry, it had to be done. Thankfully, however, there are easier ways to score a slice of this much loved and, despite the name, very British cake. Neglected in recent years in favour of flashier riv
I am not a mother, but I know a few. After close observation, I have concluded that, even if I had pushed a screaming baby out of my own (nonexistent) womb, I wouldn’t enjoy Mother’s Day. It must be nice to have your kids tell you how much they adore you
A young man I know joined the armed forces to fight in Afghanistan because he wanted to have an experience that money couldn’t buy. He is not an ardent patriot or believer in any particular cause. He just wanted a unique experience in his life; to have d
When Lars Eidinger first appeared as a careerist Nazi officer in the BBC’s recent TV show SS-GB, some drama critics snapped their pencils in despair. Here was one of Europe’s finest young actors, already hailed as one of the great Hamlets of the 21st cen
El Salvador’s controversial law banning abortion in all circumstances, which has provoked ruthless miscarriages of justice, could be overturned in what has been described as a historic move. Momentum is building around a parliamentary bill proposing to a
A long-running court battle involving two powerful Indigenous clans and the Northern Land Council is set to continue after the federal court again rejected an appeal by one group seeking a better split of mining royalties. The Rirratjingu Aboriginal Corp
Opodo, the online travel agency, is a familiar name in my inbox, but the complaints this past month are striking in their similarity. Customers who booked flights via the website have found that their surname has been entered twice on the confirmation, a
Q I have a query regarding home-owning and was hoping you could help. I have rented for my whole life and have never taken out a mortgage or owned a home. I am required to stay in my rented house for my job. However, I am now in a position to buy a house
How do people find your website? How long do they stay? What is the user experience like on different devices? If you can’t answer these three questions with confidence, it’s time to start using an analytics tool or get to know the one you do use a littl
- 23:36 Yorkshire's Tim Bresnan insists he doesn't mind if he never plays...
- 23:36 Children’s panels ‘should hear FGM risk cases’
- 23:36 May touts Brexit deal ‘so good you won’t need Indyref2’
- 23:36 Insight: The tactical response to Westminster terror
- 23:34 Mother's Day 2017 - hundreds of your messages to your mum on her...
- 23:29 Coffee machine supplier raises a cup to new drink-drive law
- 23:29 Interview: Nick Laird of Bank of Scotland
- 23:27 Manchester United Premier League title winner Federico Macheda is...
- 23:23 Fabihno speaks out amid Manchester United transfer speculation
- 23:22 Singer Rag'n'Bone Man backs calls for clampdown on online ticket touts
- 23:22 Brave MP Tobias Ellwood 'heartbroken' he could not save life of Pc...
- 23:22 Casualties reported as suspected gas blast destroys building
- 23:21 Massive explosion destroys Wirral dance studio: what we know so far
- 23:20 Chelsea leading Manchester United in £40m midfielder battle - deal...
- 23:17 How chocolate boosts brain power, beats stress and helps you sleep:...
- 23:17 How the new laptop ban means not locking your suitcase when you fly...
- 23:17 The six stages of drunkeness and the danger signs to look out for
- 23:17 Sutton Road bridge closed following 'serious' crash in Hull
- 23:16 Parachute payments under review as Premier League 'Big Six' fear...
- 23:16 Wayne Rooney to fight for England future as Gareth Southgate...
- 23:16 Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere keen on joining AC Milan in summer...
- 23:14 Liam Payne announces he’s become a father exactly two years after...
- 23:14 Hartlepool United made to pay for 'switching off' in 2-1 defeat at...
- 23:11 The Voice UK: will.i.am chokes back tears after watching Michelle's...
- 23:10 Militia fighters decapitate 40 police officers in DR Congo
- 23:05 The Voice UK: 'Bit s**t!' will.i.am SLAMMED for 'not caring' if his...
- 23:05 The text message scam which looks so genuine it can easily fool you
- 23:02 La Liga star makes Real Madrid admission: They have contacted me...
- 23:02 Wales star Joe Allen on Seamus Coleman horror tackle: Neil Taylor...
- 23:01 Welsh landmarks go dark to mark Earth Hour