News from Guardian
Not many people get to step inside the workshop of Bellerby and Co. Inside a warehouse in north London, it’s home to one of the world’s only makers of artisan globes. Spheres of various sizes dot the room, freshly painted maps hang on lines across the ra
Top story: Deadly Cambrils drama in wake of Las Ramblas Hello – Warren Murray here on a morning dominated by terror attacks in Spain. Five suspects have been shot dead as police intercepted a car that was running people down in the Spanish town of Cambri
Last summer, researchers at the International Monetary Fund settled a long and bitter debate over “neoliberalism”: they admitted it exists. Three senior economists at the IMF, an organisation not known for its incaution, published a paper questioning the
Good morning, this is Eleanor Ainge Roy bringing you the main stories and must-reads on Friday 18 August. Top stories At least 13 people are dead and dozens injured after a van crashed into a crowd of people in Barcelona’s popular Las Ramblas area. Spani
Graphic showing van's route A van drove into a busy tourist district A white van entered Las Ramblas, a wide boulevard in the heart of Barcelona, and continued driving for more than 500 metres while crashing into pedestrians until it hit a newspaper kios
The day before a fully automated grocery store opened its doors in 1939, the inventor Clarence Saunders took out a full page advertisement in the Memphis Press-Scimitar warning “old duds” with “cobwebby brains” to keep away. The Keedoozle, with its glass
Leaning over a table stacked with “Resist!” buttons and “Impeach Trump” stickers, Kathy Harrington pointed to the offending spot. “It’s probably still there somewhere,” she said. Harrington, 56, was inviting attendees of the annual Musikfest bash in Beth
Top story: White House chief strategist gives accidental interview Good morning – Warren Murray bringing you today’s briefing. Donald Trump’s top White House strategist, Steve Bannon, has laid out his apocalyptic world view in a repeat of the Anthony Sca
For news out of east Asia, it is difficult to compete with North Korea’s youthful, jocular despot, Kim Jong-un, and his near-daily threats to fire a nuclear-tipped missile at US territory. On Monday, Kim was pictured surrounded by his top generals mullin
Good morning, this is Eleanor Ainge Roy bringing you the main stories and must-reads on Thursday 17 August. Top stories Two former US presidents have become the latest Republicans to denounce racial bigotry and speak out against the violence of the far r
Pulled over at a traffic stop and beaten by the side of the road. Placed in a banned chokehold by a New York City police officer. Violently taken into police custody, never to come out alive. Shot first, questions asked later. The stories and images that
Nearly 250 people have died in the last few days as a result of flooding and landslides that have devastated parts of northern India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Millions of people have been displaced across the region, and 245 people are recorded to have been
Top story: When standing up to violent racists makes you just as bad … Donald Trump has worked quickly to unravel any goodwill and unity he might have engendered when he belatedly denounced white supremacists and neo-Nazis over the deadly violence in Cha
We are not a rampaging clan but a community rowing club come to reacquaint ourselves with our coastal environment and heritage on a four-day tour off the coast of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides. Our fleet comprised 40 rowers and sailors in five s
Good morning, this is Eleanor Ainge Roy bringing you the main stories and must-reads on Wednesday 16 August. Top stories A global mining giant seeking public funds to develop one of the world’s largest coalmines in Australia has been accused of fraudulen
- 17:26 Man suffers head injuries on dramatic night in Lincolnshire town
- 17:26 The artists who turn light bulbs, spanners and cheese into CHOCOLATE
- 17:26 Tributes to Sir Bruce Forsyth who has died aged 89
- 17:25 America's default debt risk TWICE as high as Germany
- 17:25 Arsenal news: Alexis Sanchez won’t play his best unless he signs...
- 17:24 Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez warns Jonjo Shelvey his future depends...
- 17:22 Toxic columnist Katie Hopkins told Plaid leader Leanne Wood to 'get...
- 17:21 TV Veteran Sir Bruce Forsyth has died
- 17:20 Operation Trancepark: Police make nine arrests in Huddersfield
- 17:20 Man who kicked dog in the face in viral footage is NOT the real owner
- 17:19 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Man Utd to allow transfer next summer...
- 17:16 Missing man found safe and well
- 17:15 BREAKING: Sir Bruce Forsyth, veteran entertainer and star of...
- 17:14 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp angry at Ousmane Dembele for leaving...
- 17:13 From Three Lions to Sven, Sven, Sven: Can YOU name the famous...
- 17:13 Frank Lampard unveiled as BT Sport pundit with humorous dig at...
- 17:13 Sir Bruce Forsyth dies aged 89 after a lengthy illness, his...
- 17:13 Teaching assistant raped woman then begged her not to tell police
- 17:12 Arsenal confirm Gabriel Paulista has completed £10m Valencia transfer
- 17:11 Three-year-old boy, his mother and her uncle among victims of...
- 17:07 Man killed and another hurt in stabbing in Germany
- 17:07 This is what happened when I went vegan for a month
- 17:07 Man caught by paedophile hunter while trying to meet girl, 14
- 17:07 Which parts of the city will get bin collections next week
- 17:06 Showbiz star Sir Bruce Forsyth dies aged 89 surrounded by his family
- 17:06 Adams thrilled by Town’s impressive start to the season
- 17:05 Residents accuse council of doing a 'half job' as they only partly...
- 17:02 Rugby World Cup: Another rout for England to secure place in semis
- 17:02 FA must come clean over ‘hush money’
- 17:02 The moment vandal destroys art work ... and the surprising response...