News from Cumberland News
A disabled woman whose professional carer stole cash from her purse says she is appalled magistrates allowed her to walk free. Callous Shirley Coope, 51, claimed that she had regarded multiple sclerosis sufferer Lindsay May, 64, as a friend as well as an
In more than three decades, chip shop owner Saad Sahib thinks he’s served nearly half a million fish suppers. It’s no wonder he’s decided to hang up his apron and retire from frying to concentrate on other business. Nevertheless it was a difficult move t
A furious charity boss says her organisation will soon be left homeless following a political fall out with council leaders. Kerryanne Wilde, chief executive of CERT UK, formerly Eden Flood Volunteers, has accused members of “political bullying”, claimin
Campaigners are questioning how Cumbria’s ambulance service will cope with more work after inspectors flagged up major staff shortages and delays handing over patients at A&E. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) this week ordered the North West...
Railway fans are poised for a double celebration along an iconic line. Not only will they be able to enjoy a trip uninterrupted by service changes, but a lucky few will be able to power along it on two of the world’s most famous steam locomotives. The Ca
A popular pub is toasting yet more success by landing a top title for the third year in a row. The Drovers Rest at Monkhill, near Carlisle, has been named pub of the year by the Campaign for Real Ale’s Solway branch. It is an accolade which continues an
Tributes have been paid to Lilliput Lane founder David Tate following his death at the age of 72. The Brampton businessman’s family and friends say he will be remembered as a generous man of exceptional ability and determination, who loved colour and nat
A bus route along the Solway Coast which was due to be axed later this month has been saved at the 11th hour. Wigton-based coach firm Reays announced they were pulling the number 60 service from Skinburness and Silloth, to Maryport because a lack of pass
DETECTIVES investigating damage to saline bags at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary have been called back in amid fresh concerns. It was feared more bags of fluids had been tampered with at the hospital. But bosses have confirmed that, following investigat
A GP leader has leapt to the defence of family doctors across Cumbria after the Government sought to offload blame for high-profile NHS problems. Furious Peter Weeks, chairman of the Cumbria Local Medical Committee (LMC), has written to all GPs in the co
Charity helplines have been inundated with cries for help as the county’s producers battle with the fall-out from delayed farm payments and the devastating legacy of last winter’s floods. One major farming charity revealed how it had paid out more in fin
Carlisle was left with just four or five full-time firefighters to keep the city safe on a single night, a union has claimed. The level of professional fire protection being offered to the city has been cited by the county’s Fire Brigades Union (FBU) as
A “lost” holy well credited with having mystical healing powers has been rediscovered near a Carlisle park. Obscured by undergrowth next to a footpath near to Carlisle Cricket Club, the ancient Homeacres Well had languished in obscurity for decades, its
Dozens of families face losing their homes as a Government clampdown on benefits hits home, a charity has warned. Seventeen families who were at risk of eviction appeared before the county court in Carlisle on a single day, including some driven there by
UKIP's North Cumbria chairman has announced his resignation from the party. John Stanyer, former North West chair who also led Cumbria's Vote Leave campaign, said he is defecting to the Conservative party because of the little faith he has left in UKIP's
- 13:25 Aston Villa vs Preston LIVE: Henri Lansbury to make debut after...
- 13:23 What is happening at Grey's Monument today? It could just save your...
- 13:22 Two-car crash in Hartlepool sees person taken to hospital
- 13:22 £45 an hour cleaners wanted...to work completely naked!
- 13:20 Arsenal do not need Dimitri Payet because Alex Iwobi can be as good...
- 13:20 Spotted: Arsenal raise banner featuring Alexis Sanchez and his dogs...
- 13:20 PGA professional Nikki takes helm at Louth Golf Club
- 13:20 Transfer News: Arsenal move after Man Utd deal, Everton bid...
- 13:20 Are you ready to get up close for National Hugging Day?
- 13:20 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte sends message to fans: This is what I...
- 13:17 Football club broken into again
- 13:16 Transfer News: Chelsea midfielder bid, Liverpool striker swoop, Man...
- 13:15 Ex-partner fined after damaging door in bust-up with pub landlord
- 13:14 Outlander actress Caitriona Balfe joins the Women's March in...
- 13:13 Former Leeds United star makes huge transfer prediction
- 13:13 Jamie Carragher: Liverpool should have made this deal happen two...
- 13:12 Neither fear - nor ignore - your January debt
- 13:12 Poppy Widdison: Daily Mail columnist asks, 'who will save the next...
- 13:12 Is it illegal if someone parks in front of your house?
- 13:11 Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool set to do battle over winger deal:...
- 13:10 Disability support worker ‘beat autistic child and called him a...
- 13:08 Farage CONGRATULATES Trump rioters – for turning EVERYONE against them
- 13:08 Man dies after collision near Solihull Hospital in September 2016
- 13:08 Folk band Fleetwood Cave launch new album and tour
- 13:08 Carlisle care workers hailed as ‘truly remarkable’
- 13:07 Alleged drug find leads to Burton arrests
- 13:07 Brothers thank Burton's Queen's Hospital as Leaside Singers put on...
- 13:07 Burton Albion transfer news: Jamie Ward returns to Nottingham Forest
- 13:06 Should schools ban mobile phones in class?
- 13:04 Turkey's President Erdogan wins power-boosting vote