News from Chronicle Live
In Game of Thrones, never have so many people loved something which so clearly doesn’t love them back. The wildly popular HBO series is notorious for regularly breaking fans’ hearts by killing off much-loved characters at an alarming rate. In gloomy, dea
Many of us are keen to rush home on a Friday night, but not staff at Sunderland City Council , who donned Disney outfits and late in aid of Comic Relief. Dressed in fabulous fairy-tale themed costumes, more than 80 volunteers from the council handled cal
A homeless man lost his legs after so getting so drunk on cheap white cider that he fell onto a fire suffering horrendous burns.. PC Claire McNaney, from Durham Police’s Alcohol Harm Reduction Unit, said the 34-year-old has continued drinking despite his
A gentle giant who spent six years battling his demons died after accidentally taking too much of his medication, an inquest has found. Jamie Arthur Crighton, 25, of Southwick, died on November 8 last year after suffering a catastrophic heart attack in a
People who’ve grown up and spent most of their life in Tyneside are being offered £40 for less than an hour’s work — so long as they’ve got a proper Geordie accent. While it won’t exactly amount to a full time job, the position, offered by Canadian compa
A pervert has been jailed after being caught with child abuse images during a visit to the Lake District. Craig Johnson, from Manor Chare, Newcastle, was arrested by police while on an overnight stay in Keswick last summer. Using a police warrant, office
Student landlords hunting for high yields should take a look at this portfolio of properties on sale in Sunderland. For £775,000, you could buy six properties with a total of 30 bedrooms right in the heart of the city’s student community. The six homes e
Selfless Ray Noble may never meet the stranger whose life he saved. The 29-year-old registered as a stem cell and bone marrow donor four years ago after a young girl his wife knew was diagnosed with cancer. “If that was my little girl I’d want someone to
When Mole first meets Ratty in The Wind in the Willows, he asks him: “And you live by the river?” Ratty, based on the water vole, replies: “By it and with it and in it. It’s my world and I don’t want any other.” But the world of rivers and streams in cou
A woman has admitted causing death by dangerous driving after she crashed into a pensioner as he crossed the road. Kerrie Loughead suffered a “momentary lapse of concentration” when she hit 88-year-old Ronnie Ellison outside Greggs, on Front Street, in P
A meeting to discuss a report which could have a massive impact on the North East economy had to be cancelled because of Wednesday’s terrorist attack on the Palace of Westminster. It has been put together by the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Re
Train passengers and staff were left terrified when this “man mountain” went on a railway rampage. Laurence Mutasa brought fear to the East Coast Mainline service with a series of attacks as it sped through the North East. A court heard the drunk 37-year
Adam Johnson has now spent one year behind bars after being convicted of child sex offences. The shamed former footballer is incarcerated at HMP Moorland near Doncaster and just last week lost his appeal bid. High Court judges threw out the former winger
Developers are hoping to make a major step towards completing Sunderland’s landmark new bridge this weekend. Weather permitting, the operation to get the New Wear Crossing’s deck in place could start on Sunday afternoon. The two-day process will see the
Disgruntled teaching assistants will hold a rally in Durham on Saturday in a week when the council said “notable progress” has been made in their contract wrangle. Classroom support staff will gather in Millennium Square from 12noon to mark their “hard w
- 07:52 Griezmann’s Man Utd agreement, Chelsea’s Madrid vow, £25m Liverpool...
- 07:49 The taste of Spain that's hard 'tapas' up all at a leisurely...
- 07:49 Do any of the Grimsby area's clocks work?
- 07:48 Firebugs set light to car at side of road
- 07:47 Cow burps rather than farts are destroying the earth’s atmosphere
- 07:47 New-look Costcutter store opens in Kirton
- 07:46 These 14 facts about Shropshire will simply amaze you
- 07:46 England man Eric Dier: Age is just a number, we need trophies
- 07:43 Sheffield murder probe: everything we know so far
- 07:43 Pedestrian taken to hospital with leg injury after 'hit-and-run'...
- 07:42 Meet Pictish art enthusiast Marianna Lines
- 07:42 Cumbrian mum's terror as she faced Westminster terrorist
- 07:41 On This Day: Why speeding ticket was bill-a-wrong, Wembley fever &...
- 07:41 Grace to lose long locks for charity
- 07:41 11 of the cheapest properties for sale in North Lincolnshire
- 07:41 Scunthorpe man sentenced for assault by beating
- 07:41 Lorries too large for this road are 'putting lives in danger'
- 07:41 North Lincolnshire first place in UK to host Eurotrials
- 07:41 When will the clocks change in 2017? Here's what you need to know
- 07:41 Over one million UK homeowners on wrong mortgage deal
- 07:38 Man accused of damaging 4X4
- 07:37 VIDEO: Just Alfie launches DT Lunchtime Live
- 07:37 Northants ace Crook in top condition ahead of new campaign
- 07:31 Russell Howard: Why I am always worried about outstaying my welcome
- 07:29 'Knowing I'm doing it for Sam gives me reason to get up in the...
- 07:29 Were you caught on camera at the Winter Gardens in 2000/2001?
- 07:29 Watching England play 'was a breath of fresh air' - Grimsby Town...
- 07:29 Grimsby Town boss Marcus Bignot wants to get back 'that winning...
- 07:29 Dog walker attacked with hammer after being asked for a cigarette
- 07:29 Devastating blow for brave battler Sam as family launch bucket list...