News from Chorley Guardian
Keen walkers in Chorley are offering a coach trip to the Lake District fells on the second Saturday of every month from March to July. Chorley Ramblers will walk Troutbeck to Patterdale on March 11, Patterdale to Grasmere on April 8, Grasmere to Langdale
Residents living around the site of a former landmark hotel in Clayton-le-Woods are invited to give feedback on plans for a new Lidl and retirement apartments. The Pines Hotel, which closed down last February, has been earmarked for the new development l
Meat, vegetable, beer and pie producers all packed into The Great Barn at Hoghton Tower on Sunday for its monthly farmer’s market. Despite the bad weather about 500 people turned out to stock up on their favourite food and drink or to try something new.
Football fans Ian Billington and Graham Smith have set themselves an ambitious goal of visiting all 92 league grounds in just 92 hours. The pair kicked off their trek around England and Wales before dawn yesterday at Preston North End’s stadium. And they
More than 7,500 properties in the northwest were left without power in the wake of Storm Doris, say Electricity North West. Engineers from Electricity North West worked late into the early hours of Friday morning to restore power to properties affected b
Two northern comedians are hoping to have audiences in stitches when they perform in Chorley. Two northern comedians are hoping to have audiences in stitches when they perform in Chorley. Award-winning Brennan Reece and supporting act Chris Washington wi
There is nothing like browsing through your local paper when you are feeling homesick. Ronnie Carter’s parents sent him the Chorley Guardian every week while he was in Egypt when he was doing his national service from 1952 and 1954. The 84-year-old, who
Police in Chorley have issued a warning after a local resident was conned out of £5,000 in an internet scam. Criminals have accessed a person's online bank account claiming to be calling on behalf of an internet provider, say police. They are now warning
Readers have voted. Here are the top tapas bars in Lancashire. Vida Tapas and Bistro, Lytham Vida Tapas and Bistro, in Church Road, Lytham, topped our online poll, with 29 per cent of votes. The restaurant offers an eclectic take on traditional tapas wit
Line dancing is practiced and learned in country-western dance bars, social clubs, dance clubs and ballrooms. It accompanies many popular music styles since the early 1970s including pop, swing, rock and roll, disco, Latin, rhythm and blues and jazz. Why
The Met Office have issued a yellow severe weather warning for rain in Lancashire. Residents in Lancashire have been warned to expect heavy rain all day on Saturday with the possibility of localised flooding and minor travel disruption. The latest weathe
Storm Doris caused havoc in Lancashire yesterday as it battered the county from all sides. Relive Storm Doris as it happened here Trains were delayed, roads closed and even injuries sustained as people were blown over by the 50mph gales. Along with drivi
Caring bank staff at Chorley Building Society are banking up dates in the calendar for a series of fundraising events in support of their charity of the year St Catherine’s Hospice. The team will hold a charitable event every month, from raffles to book
Train services have been suspended as the effects of Storm Doris hit Lancashire. In a Tweet Virgin Trains has said: “Hourly services between Euston & Birmingham, Euston & Stafford and Preston & Scotland. All other services are currently...
Storm Doris has brought down a tree in Runshaw Hall Lane in Euxton. Authorities are in the process of clearing it. Meanwhile in Croston the world’s biggest hot pot has so far defied the strong winds. A spokesman for Croston Fest, which is taking place th
- 11:38 In Ukraine, separatists issue ultimatum to end rail blockade
- 11:38 WEATHER: Difficult driving conditions as Met Office issues ice...
- 11:37 JCB joins forces with Williams Martini Racing F1 team for the 2017...
- 11:37 Community forks out for Greenodd chippy charity fundraiser
- 11:37 Your nose knows best in battle against food waste
- 11:37 Milkman Les bucking the trend with successful south Cumbria...
- 11:37 Jeremy Corbyn concedes some blame for Labour's by-election defeat...
- 11:37 Nine epic fails from awards ceremonies and TV contests
- 11:37 Barrow mum flying high in her campaign to create autism-friendly...
- 11:37 There's a seat with your name on it as Millom theatre stages...
- 11:37 Juggling Barrow pupils prove they're a class act
- 11:37 Former Copeland MP Jamie Reed reassures Labour voters that 'our...
- 11:37 Diesel scrappage scheme - How much will it actually cost to own an...
- 11:37 More action needed on workplace discrimination - Barrow disability...
- 11:36 Matt Le Tissier hits out at Man United: They get better treatment...
- 11:36 Juan Mata: My message to Man United fans after EFL Cup final win
- 11:36 Live: Britain's Got Talent star on trial over alleged child neglect
- 11:36 Iconic Nokia 3310 officially relaunched: Everything you need to know
- 11:36 Severe weather warning for ice issued across Nottinghamshire
- 11:36 JOHN DILLEY’S WWI BLOG: All quiet on the Western Front in this...
- 11:35 Iconic Nokia 3310 officially relaunched: Everything you need to know
- 11:35 Toddler and adult rescued from first-floor window after supected...
- 11:34 European shares rise led by Intesa but LSE, Deutsche Boerse weigh
- 11:34 Footage captures moment skilled pilot battles high winds at...
- 11:34 Aira Force road shut for repairs
- 11:34 Upstart analysts show banks the way in new era for research
- 11:34 Crystal Palace fans accidentally vandalise their own team bus in...
- 11:34 Sheep rescued from floodwater near Shrewsbury
- 11:34 Burton Albion ladies rescue a point at St George's Park
- 11:34 Speed cameras are based on these 22 Derbyshire roads