News from Buxton Advertiser
The body responsible for protecting England’s at-risk historic buildings has lauded praise on the progress to restore Buxton’s Crescent. Historic England said “good progress” was being made on the £50 million project to return the famous Georgian Crescen
A stressed-out teacher has been banned from the road after she was spotted swerving and driving erratically before being caught for drink-driving. Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Thursday, October 20, how Jane Louise Howroyd, 48, of Worksop Road
Head outside one evening this weekend and you may well see the annual Orionids meteor shower in Britain’s skies. Gaze upwards and – if the weather remains clear – you’ll be treated to up to 25 shooting stars an hour as the Earth intersects the orbit of H
It’s been a busy old week in the world of news, sport, politics and all the rest. But how much attention have you been paying to the stories hitting the headlines? Answer our quick quiz questions and find out... And don’t forget to share your score and c
A car which was used in a burglary in Cambridgeshire was apprehended today by Derbyshire Police on the M1. When the car was intercepted by the Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit, its driver was found to have no insurance or licence. During a subsequent drug
Former Tory chairman found guilty of stealing more than £3,000 from the Royal British Legion in New Mills
The former chairman of the High Peak Conservative Association, Jeffrey Peter Lawton, was found guilty of stealing £3,135.65 from the Royal British Legion in New Mills at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (October 18). Lawton 41, of High L
A new £500,000 building at a Buxton school - replacing old facilities - has received top marks from staff and students. The new building at Earl Sterndale Primary School has been funded by Derbyshire County Council. Headteacher Daniel Holden said: “We no
Students at the University of Derby are working on ways to transform the way people travel around Buxton and other nearby market towns. Tourism students at the Buxton campus are working with Derbyshire County Council and Buxton Town Team to survey the tr
Friends of the Peak District have expressed dismay over a planning inspector’s decision to allow a housing estate to be built on the edge of Hartington. The proposal for 26 houses on the former Dove Dairy site was refused by the Peak District National Pa
The Met Office forecast for the East Midlands for today Friday, October 21 is for a mostly dry day with sunny spells. There will be a chilly start with low cloud, mist or fog lifting. A few isolated showers may develop, most likely around the coast. Ligh
Car criminals who prey on Vauxhall Corsa owners by stripping their vehicles for parts have arrived in Derbyshire. The criminals - known as ‘Corsa Cannibals’ - take front bumpers, wings, bonnets, headlights, and wheels from cars often leaving owners with
A Marks and Spencer employee who stole £500 from the store where he worked has been ordered to complete 120 hours of unpaid work and pay the money back. Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Thursday, October 20, how Jamie Wood, 29, of Lime Grove, Dar
An image of a suitcase similar to the one found containing the burnt remains of a murder victim has been released by detectives. The identity of the man remains unknown and police are now widening their inquiries to including missing people cases from a
A reveller assaulted a woman by head-butting her in the face during a dispute at a pub. Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Thursday, October 20, how Gary Mitchell, 53, of Hollins Street, Buxton, assaulted Sarah Blackley in the Queen’s Head pub, on
Halloween is fast approaching so to save you panicking about your pumpkin, we’ve pulled together six popular designs and guides on how to do them. So whether you want a Minion pumpkin or even a glow in the dark pumpkin, these ideas should help. And don’t
- 18:57 Video: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge looks very grumpy on the bench...
- 18:55 US election: Trump outlines plan for first 100 days
- 18:55 Smoke from Seaforth blaze to lower this evening which could cause...
- 18:54 Newcastle United 3-0 Ipswich Town: Rafael Benitez's boys extend...
- 18:54 US Grand Prix F1 qualifying LIVE: Lewis Hamilton targets pole...
- 18:53 See what the chocolate sausage really tasted like at Chocival
- 18:51 Why being a 'silver splitter' is a health risk: Those who divorce...
- 18:50 Dad hopes his battle to overcome rare disease will give strength to...
- 18:50 Inquest opened into death of much-loved Middlesbrough lad
- 18:50 Devoted Sian follows in dad's footsteps to make a difference
- 18:50 Almost 100 people gather for vigil after dog was found buried alive...
- 18:50 Two vehicles involved in another crash on the A171 near Guisborough
- 18:48 One-fingered typists are no slower, so there
- 18:48 'I'm in the dark over Paul Hurst's future at Grimsby Town' -...
- 18:46 'We can't sleep at night but we still believe he's alive': Dad of...
- 18:45 Aston Villa: This man Jonathan Kodjia is the new Holte End darling!
- 18:43 Death toll in Cameroon train crash rises to 70
- 18:43 Blackburn over London for Mehreen
- 18:41 Cobblers performance ‘good enough to beat anyone’, says boss Page
- 18:41 Nottingham City Transport bus named in honour of Herbert Kilpin,...
- 18:40 Arsene Wenger admits he doesn’t know when Santi Cazorla will make...
- 18:40 Leicester City star Shinji Okazaki just quietly equalled a Premier...
- 18:37 Hole lot of fun as Prairie Sports Village unveil mini golf launch
- 18:37 Lifetime achievement honour beckons for Burnley’s “Renaissance Man”
- 18:34 Scottish Cup: Ten-man East Kilbride stun Cowdenbeath
- 18:31 Salford City stunned by deadly Dyer as Tamworth take points
- 18:30 Chester King's School visited by former student turned Olympic star...
- 18:30 Halloween retail therapy
- 18:28 Scunthorpe United players showed a belief how good they are says...
- 18:28 'Loveable rogue' who survived fleecing The Krays dies in Birmingham