News from Brighouse Echo
AN ELDERLY woman was seriously injured after she was struck by a car in Batley town centre today. The 80-year-old pedestrian was involved in collision with a Vauxhall Zafira on Henrietta Street just before 10.30am today. (Tues July 18) She suffered head
A Calderdale school’s ambitious plans for a new sixth form and community centre are more than quarter-of-a-million pounds closer thanks to the fund-raising efforts of a local firm. Boothtown-based environmental company The Leo Group has raised a staggeri
A murder trial jury has heard how a fight over a television ended with a Honley man being fatally stabbed in the chest. Bradford Crown Court heard today (Tuesday) that Darren Moorhouse, 49, had been visiting his friend Kate Longshaw at her flat in Athol
A new housing development that would have seen up to 50 homes built next to a Hipperholme factory has been rejected by councillors. Crosslee PLC submitted outline plans to Calderdale Council for the construction of 50 new properties on land south of Broo
Yorkshire weather: Met Office issues warning as thunderstorms are expected to hit Tuesday and Wednesday
Thunderstorms and potential flooding have been forecast to hit Yorkshire on Wednesday, prompting weather warnings from the Met Office. Here is our latest weather package from the Met Office, Sky News and the BBC.
Calderdale parks are taking part in celebrations to mark Love Parks Week which runs until Sunday (July 23). Now in its 11th year, Love Parks Week, run by the environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy, is Britain’s biggest celebration of these valuable spac
memories from half a century ago, freshly awoken with some new music, bring some Halifax people and places to life on an artist’s new album. Heath Common was born in Normanton, West Yorkshire, but amid his family’s life of constant travelling a mid 1960s
A ten-year-old Halifax schoolboy has raised £24,000 for charity after his younger brother was diagnosed with a rare genetic condition. Hayden Connett, of Skircoat Green, raised the money for Alder Hey Children’s Charity, which supports the hospital that
Shops in Brighouse strung out colourful bunting and wartime memorabilia in a bid to be awarded for the best dressed 1940s window. The competition, run by the Brighouse Business Initiative (BBI), awarded the best dressed window during the 1940s weekend wh
A bumper 189 cycle riders took to the bike trails and bridleways of Calderdale in the Overgate Hospice Mountain Bike Challenge, raising more than £3,000. The challenge - options were 18 or 26 miles - began at Elland Recreation Ground and was sponsored by
Author, collector of rare books and coins, and retired policeman, Mr David Arthur Binns died at the Royal Devon Hospital, Exeter, on July 11, after a short battle with cancer. David, who was 76, was born in Hebden Bridge and left Calder High School at 16
Don’t look now, but a star of 80s TV hit Dukes of Hazzard is coming to town! Hebden Bridge Vintage Weekend, organised by the town’s Rotary Club, will be held at Calder Holmes Park on Saturday and Sunday, August 5 and 6, lining up a fabulous display of vi
The UK could be set to bask in three months of hot weather as an ‘African blast’ of hot air heads north to Britain. Forecasters say the UK is likely to enjoy higher than average temperatures between July and September with highs of as much as 36 degrees
Motorists will face nine weeks of long diversions as Yorkshire Water carry out work to prevent flooding in a Calderdale village. Work to stop sewage flooding homes on West Street in Bailiff Bridge will see the closure of the busy road from Monday July 24
Calderdale friends of a schoolmate are helping raise money for £50,000 life-saving treatment and operation on her grand-daughter. Jackie Hill was born in Lincolnshire but lived in the Calder Valley, where she still has many friends. Her dad Tom Dawson wa
- 11:37 Collective shambles
- 11:37 Who is Marshall McLuhan, the star of the latest Google Doodle?
- 11:37 Pound v US dollar: GBP could surge against USD on Fed rate decision
- 11:36 Dave Mackay happy with workrate of his Stirling Albion side in...
- 11:36 Joanne Calderwood left raging after points decision goes against...
- 11:36 Boots faces morning-after pill cost row
- 11:35 First class garden for a flower show
- 11:35 Manchester United target Eric Dier keen on transfer despite...
- 11:35 How Linkin Park made rap metal memorable
- 11:35 Paper round-up: Barcelona want Coutinho, Wilshere to West Ham,...
- 11:34 Alliances made as Ulverston prepares for worst case scenario
- 11:34 National crime expert brings experience to Cumbria police service
- 11:35 Antonio Conte: Chelsea have signed a fantastic striker in...
- 11:34 Barrow fire boss praises his men after four-car inferno
- 11:34 Barrow school thankful for new inclusive sensory room
- 11:34 Barrow man jailed for carrying drugs and lock knife
- 11:34 Debate: Recorded crime figures on the rise
- 11:34 Twinkling Stars is officially world class
- 11:34 Cancer fighting cop's year of fundraising
- 11:32 Blac Chyna seems over Rob Kardashian scandal as she joins Nicki...
- 11:32 Family pays tribute to 'beautiful angel' mum-of-four killed in car...
- 11:32 What are the dangers, effects, and laws when it comes to Molly...
- 11:32 Coventry City matches set to be broadcast online
- 11:31 It's the fight club!
- 11:31 A successful run of sports development
- 11:31 These are the most common travel scams - and here's how to avoid them
- 11:31 Coroner rules concerns over care of elderly woman did not cause death
- 11:31 Police officer crisis as the numbers plummet
- 11:31 Motorist to stand trial
- 11:31 Have you heard about the bird?