News from Batley News
A charity shop based in Mirfield has launched a recruitment campaign to attract new volunteers. The Sue Ryder Shop, which is based on Huddersfield Road, is holding the drive until Saturday 28 January. Members at the shop will be holding a special open da
Members of 868 (Mirfield) Air Cadets have excelled in first aid training and resulting competitions. Four cadets – Sergeant Matthew Smith, Corporal Kiara Baillie and cadets Christian Bartey and Caitlin Pugh – volunteered as the Squadron’s Youth First Aid
A Mirfield businessman who is on a mission to get children off their gadgets has produced two ‘Top 10 lists’ to get them into classic games. Paul Kerfoot, owner of Emag Toys and Games, wants to see more youngsters playing with toys and board games. To th
Arthritis care are looking for volunteers in Kirklees to help run their ‘Living well with Arthritis’ services. There are three volunteer roles that need to be filled by friendly, approachable people, that either have arthritis themselves or have an unde
A well known ice cream man who made West Yorkshire his home has died. Italian born Luigi ‘Gino’ Del Grande became a fixture across Batley, Birstall and Dewsbury after establishing his business, Gino’s Ice, in the sixties. Customers were often waiting for
Tributes have been paid to a school pupil who died last week just days after her 14th birthday. Staff and students at the BBG Academy released balloons in memory of Ellie Bramham, who was a Year 9 pupil at the Birkenshaw school, in a special tribute on F
Yorkshire has beaten Lancashire and other counties nationwide - to the title of the best area to go dogging. Adult website Swinging Heaven has named Yorkshire as the top county for dogging in the UK. According to the site, Yorkshire has a massive 271 dog
THE NUMBER of recorded crimes in West Yorkshire rose by more than a fifth in a year, according to the latest statistics. Figures released today by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show there were 220,379 crimes recorded by the county’s police for
Council funding of £2.9 million has been approved to begin work on turning a town centre building into a new college facility. The cabinet at Kirklees Council unanimously agreed to release the cash for the conversion of Pioneer House in Dewsbury. The bui
Three heroes who helped rescue two unconscious men from a flat fire in Birstall have been commended for their bravery. Kevin Stainburn, Ian Chamberlain and Lee Foster were first at the scene of the fire at a first floor flat on Carr Street last Tuesday.
Just four children’s centres will remain across the district after members of Kirklees Council’s cabinet gave the go-ahead to a shake-up of children and youth services. The cost-cutting move will see support for children, young people and their families
A generous woman and her family had a lot to cheer about last week as she celebrated her 100th birthday. Hetty Vasey was born on January 15 1917 and has lived in the Spen Valley all her life. The eldest of eight children, she attended Millbridge school i
It's a sport played by wizards - but Muggles can try their hand at Quidditch in Leeds. A brand-new league based on the game, which features in the Harry Potter books, is recruiting players in the city. A franchise known as the Yorkshire Roses will compet
Over 40 schools in North and West Yorkshire have been visited by army bomb disposal experts after it was discovered they were storing a potentially hazardous chemical on their premises. Controlled explosions had to be carried out at the schools - among t
The latest court reports as published in the Reporter Series January 19 edition are published below. Numbers refer to the defendants’ ages. Daniel Smith, (25), of Hazel Close, Dewsbury, £85 costs, £40 fine, £30 victim surcharge and £64 compensation for s
- 13:17 Football club broken into again
- 13:16 Transfer News: Chelsea midfielder bid, Liverpool striker swoop, Man...
- 13:15 Ex-partner fined after damaging door in bust-up with pub landlord
- 13:14 Outlander actress Caitriona Balfe joins the Women's March in...
- 13:13 Former Leeds United star makes huge transfer prediction
- 13:13 Jamie Carragher: Liverpool should have made this deal happen two...
- 13:12 Neither fear - nor ignore - your January debt
- 13:12 Poppy Widdison: Daily Mail columnist asks, 'who will save the next...
- 13:12 Is it illegal if someone parks in front of your house?
- 13:11 Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool set to do battle over winger deal:...
- 13:10 Disability support worker ‘beat autistic child and called him a...
- 13:08 Farage CONGRATULATES Trump rioters – for turning EVERYONE against them
- 13:08 Man dies after collision near Solihull Hospital in September 2016
- 13:08 Folk band Fleetwood Cave launch new album and tour
- 13:08 Carlisle care workers hailed as ‘truly remarkable’
- 13:07 Alleged drug find leads to Burton arrests
- 13:07 Brothers thank Burton's Queen's Hospital as Leaside Singers put on...
- 13:07 Burton Albion transfer news: Jamie Ward returns to Nottingham Forest
- 13:06 Should schools ban mobile phones in class?
- 13:04 Turkey's President Erdogan wins power-boosting vote
- 13:03 Charlton explain why match against Scunthorpe was postponed
- 13:02 Dimitri Payet is skilled enough to play for Real Madrid......
- 13:02 Carlos Tevez denies he is the highest paid player in world football...
- 13:02 Arsenal starlet Alex Iwobi can be like Dimitri Payet in few...
- 13:01 Drink-driver was tracked down after leaving reg plate at crash scene
- 13:00 Earlsdon Festival organisers in plea for help to ensure event goes...
- 12:57 Drink-driver was tracked down after leaving reg plate at crash scene
- 12:57 Blast causes deaths in Syrian camp near Jordan border - monitor
- 12:57 Merkel vows to find compromise with U.S. on trade, military spending
- 12:56 Video: Manchester United youngster Andreas Pereira scores...