Zimbabwe police fire teargas on street vendors
Zimbabwe police fired teargas at stone-throwing vendors resisting removal from city streets on Tuesday in the latest flare-up of protests against President Robert Mugabe's 36-year rule.
Army trucks and tankers joined Harare's regular municipal police in a drive against the hawkers, pursuing them through the streets of the capital while firing teargas and water canons.
The southern African nation's 80 percent unemployment rate has left thousands of people surviving by selling fruit and vegetables, mobile phone credit, trinkets and second hand clothes on sidewalks in the city centre.
Such... read more
- 17:25 Neston pair charged with weapons offences following reported fight
- 17:25 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:25 The Golden Years: Why Yorkshire is the best place to enjoy retirement
- 17:24 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:24 Barrow charity boss scoops invite to Royal Wedding
- 17:24 Preventable diseases are still killing animals
- 17:24 Fire crew called to gorse fire
- 17:24 Cumbrian Challenge raises more than £1million for ex-servicemen and...
- 17:24 Cumbria's best apprentice urges the community to nominate dedicated...
- 17:24 Police officer recognised for diversity work in Cumbria
- 17:23 Popular DNA website helps cops nail ‘killer’ suspected of murdering...
- 17:23 Venezuela: Maduro hails election win but world leaders threaten...
- 17:23 Blackpool Belle puts resort on track for direct service to London
- 17:23 Elon Musk announces $78,000 high-performance version of Tesla Model 3
- 17:23 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe 'told to expect another conviction'
- 17:23 Doncaster mums helping others to beat post natal depression
- 17:23 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:22 Cumbria's best apprentice urges the community to nominate dedicated...
- 17:22 Police searching for convicted drug farmer who walked out of open...
- 17:21 Booze sales plan for town centre shop rejected
- 17:20 FTSE 100 surges to a fresh record high
- 17:20 Doncaster mums helping others to beat post natal depression
- 17:19 Sylatech reaches for the sky after securing work with global giants
- 17:19 Man had to have skull surgery after being stamped and kicked on...
- 17:18 Spike in help for Wigan hedgehogs
- 17:18 This brilliant Marc McNulty insight sums up the fun and...
- 17:18 Wiganer conquers Iraqi danger mountain
- 17:18 Syria war: Army takes full control of Damascus after ousting IS
- 17:17 Speaker John Bercow admits muttering word 'stupid'
- 17:15 Lottery win for Cumbrian resident