Zimbabwe note launch stokes currency fears
Zimbabwe has launched its own money for the first time since the country's dollar was abandoned seven years ago amid rampant inflation.
The bond note, which is worth one US dollar - the country's main currency since 2009 - is raising fears of a return to the ill-fated local dollar.
The notes, first announced in May, have fuelled some of the biggest protests in a decade against President Mugabe.
The government insists the bond note is not an official currency.
It is introducing the new notes to tackle a worsening cash shortage and halt the flow of US dollars going out of the country, a move... read more
- 12:25 Louise Redknapp ‘house-hunting’ in London with new BFF Daisy Lowe
- 12:24 How record signing Matej Vydra has emerged from the shadows at...
- 12:24 Toback: 200 more women contact LA Times about harassment
- 12:24 MP says local taxpayers should not pay to police national fracking...
- 12:24 Kelly Clarkson: 'When I was really skinny I wanted to kill myself'
- 12:24 Halloween in The Octagon shopping centre in Burton this half term
- 12:23 Burton Albion players to raise money for Children in Need with...
- 12:23 Why armed police officers are also 999 life-savers
- 12:23 Lincolnshire has second biggest pothole problem in East Midlands
- 12:21 Fantastic! Poppy Prom tops £40,000 to support our war veterans
- 12:20 £300k investment in Chester car dealership site
- 12:20 Train fire caused disruption between Chester and Crewe
- 12:20 Budding Barra footballer makes 320-mile round-trip to mainland for...
- 12:20 Hundreds of jobs up for grabs in and around Derbyshire
- 12:20 Man City vs Wolves: Guardiola's dilemma; Nuno's positive approach;...
- 12:19 Michael Winner: Coronation Street actress claims director told her...
- 12:19 Leicester drop plans to appeal Adrien Silva's registration to CAS...
- 12:19 Company donates defibrillator to community
- 12:19 Daydreaming brain network used in autopilot
- 12:18 Last ever Inspector George Gently episode gets its TV date - find...
- 12:17 Ulverston man to appear in court after alleged £16,000 theft
- 12:17 Three inch pocket knife lands man in court
- 12:17 Alleged heroin and crack cocaine dealer in Barrow to appear in court
- 12:17 Driver accused of not paying for petrol three times in Barrow
- 12:17 'David and Goliath' victory stops hundreds of homes being built at...
- 12:17 PICTURES: 31 stone Sheffield man to star in new TV show filmed at...
- 12:17 Company donates defibrillator to community
- 12:16 Rotary Club of Melton Belvoir and Rotary Club of Melton Mowbray...
- 12:16 Company donates defibrillator to community
- 12:16 Surcharge plan on parking permits for diesel cars in Edinburgh