Zimbabwe note launch stokes currency fears
Zimbabwe has launched its own money for the first time since the country's dollar was abandoned seven years ago amid rampant inflation.
The bond note, which is worth one US dollar - the country's main currency since 2009 - is raising fears of a return to the ill-fated local dollar.
The notes, first announced in May, have fuelled some of the biggest protests in a decade against President Mugabe.
The government insists the bond note is not an official currency.
It is introducing the new notes to tackle a worsening cash shortage and halt the flow of US dollars going out of the country, a move... read more
- 12:52 Pound eyes $1.25 as traders bet British government to lose Brexit case
- 12:51 Did you see schoolboy, 14, being hit in the face in Stafford?
- 12:51 Rafael Nadal battles past Gael Monfils to set up Australian Open...
- 12:51 Crash on Bay Gateway junction
- 12:50 Pound hits one-month HIGH against dollar investors 'lose patience'...
- 12:50 How happy are people in your part of Derbyshire?
- 12:50 Shkodran Mustafi: Why I knew Arsenal would score a late winner...
- 12:49 See how many people were caught driving and using a mobile phone in...
- 12:49 Oak helps HAPPA celebrate 80th anniversary
- 12:49 Body in the canal may be from Burnley
- 12:49 GOTCHA: Russia obliterates ISIS targets in Syria as second massive...
- 12:48 Lancashire Police crackdown on mobile phone use behind the wheel
- 12:48 Lloyds cyber-attack details emerge
- 12:48 Body in the canal may be from Burnley
- 12:48 Blood donor who is scared of needles encourages people to save lives
- 12:48 Stuck for somewhere to park in Lincoln? A 200-space park and ride...
- 12:48 Rafael Nadal sets up quarter-final clash with Milos Raonic
- 12:47 Can I date a guy shorter than me? Of course! Here’s why it’s the best
- 12:47 Most German companies expect little to no impact from Brexit - poll
- 12:47 Gritters head out in Derbyshire with freezing temperatures expected...
- 12:46 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger faces FA ban for stunning comment: This...
- 12:46 Premier League odds: Chelsea nailed on favourites but which 9/1...
- 12:46 Women take to Yorkshire streets and march in worldwide protest...
- 12:45 No wonder Arsene Wenger is growing angry... Granit Xhaka was...
- 12:45 Papy Djilobodji faces four-match FA ban for violent conduct after...
- 12:45 Malaysia arrests four linked to Islamic State cell in Philippines
- 12:44 Ofsted praise nursery in Alfreton
- 12:44 Which rugby league legend has become patron of the Laura Crane...
- 12:44 Fire at former South Yorkshire school was arson
- 12:44 Boozed-up man is ordered to pay £613 after abusing police officer