Zimbabwe note launch stokes currency fears
Zimbabwe has launched its own money for the first time since the country's dollar was abandoned seven years ago amid rampant inflation.
The bond note, which is worth one US dollar - the country's main currency since 2009 - is raising fears of a return to the ill-fated local dollar.
The notes, first announced in May, have fuelled some of the biggest protests in a decade against President Mugabe.
The government insists the bond note is not an official currency.
It is introducing the new notes to tackle a worsening cash shortage and halt the flow of US dollars going out of the country, a move... read more
- 13:30 Woman found used condom ‘with dark hairs attached’ in her Tesco kale
- 13:27 M6 crash: Car hits Highways England vehicle attending breakdown
- 13:26 Second air ambulance for Scotland planned
- 13:26 Theatr Clwyd welcomes touring production of A Midsummer Night's Dream
- 13:26 Specialist recruiter to grow own ranks
- 13:25 Raunds Music Festival is back with a bang
- 13:25 Inquests opened into death of couple struck by train in Doncaster
- 13:25 Cruel daughter left elderly mother sitting in a chair for a year...
- 13:25 John Terry breaks his silence on his Aston Villa future
- 13:25 ' I hope this continues for years' - Wolves star Conor Coady looks...
- 13:24 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:24 Fran Kirby named Football Writers’ Women’s Footballer of the Year
- 13:23 Inquests opened into death of couple struck by train in Doncaster
- 13:19 Katherine Jenkins announces birth of second child
- 13:19 University lecturers on the breadline: is the UK following in...
- 13:17 Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois being involved in leaks by...
- 13:17 South Africa legend Bryan Habana announces retirement with...
- 13:17 Art review: Shonky: The Aesthetics of Awkwardness, Dundee...
- 13:15 Sir Alex Ferguson targeted three new signings before his Manchester...
- 13:14 Police pursuit on A64 in North Yorkshire ends with arrest of two...
- 13:14 Transfer rumour: Loanee set to stay at Aston Villa for another season
- 13:13 Ponte Pirates marks birthday with a new kit
- 13:13 Liverpool have one player Roma fear MORE than Mo Salah – journalist
- 13:13 Streaming is basically saving the music industry
- 13:13 £100,000 raised in memory of Masterchef star who died running...
- 13:12 Emmerdale spoilers: 18 new pictures reveal Joe Tate death horror...
- 13:12 Morgan Freeman ‘had sexual relationship with step-granddaughter’...
- 13:12 BBC iPlayer streams sport in 4K HDR for first time
- 13:12 First picture of man who killed relative and drove body to police...
- 13:11 £100,000 raised in memory of Masterchef star who died running...