Zika breakthrough? Scientists identify molecules that take over the immune system - and how to stop them
Scientists have identified how the Zika virus takes over the immune system in a major breakthrough that paves the way for a virus.
The virus outbreak has transformed a previously little-known infection into a global public health emergency.
But researchers are still largely ignorant about Zika's chemical makeup, how it causes its symptoms, and how it survives in the body for months.
Now researchers at Glasgow University have been able to shed more light on how the Zika virus works by sequencing the full-length genome of the virus from a patient in Brazil.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
They studied... read more
- 15:11 Wellingborough school alumni give inspirational talk to pupils
- 15:11 £300million IAMP development to create more than 5,000 jobs moves a...
- 15:11 What if I’ve murdered someone and buried them in the back garden?...
- 15:10 £10 shop theft from Worksop store put man at risk of prison
- 15:10 Wigan thief has jail term cut
- 15:09 'Lucky escape' for driver after car comes off road in North...
- 15:09 Road near Mansfield closed after car ends up on its side
- 15:09 Could pineapple plant be the answer to your snoring nightmare?
- 15:09 Everything you need to know about Christmas in Edinburgh
- 15:09 Preston woman tells of her struggle with depression and anxiety
- 15:09 'I'm not some saddo who doesn't have anything else' Mark McGhee on...
- 15:08 £10 shop theft from Worksop store put man at risk of prison
- 15:07 Birmingham architect named 'rising star'
- 15:07 John Michie shares treasured photo of late daughter Louella
- 15:07 Tributes paid to Royal British Legion stalwart locally and...
- 15:06 Mild conditions expected until Thursday
- 15:06 'The Reedley Wild Show'
- 15:06 Check out these two great hacks to get up to £40 in IKEA vouchers
- 15:06 Knife gang steal bikes from three boys near Birmingham youth centre
- 15:06 Birmingham City injury news: Latest on Gleeson and Gardner ahead of...
- 15:06 Tamworth FC: Andy Morrell's verdict on Darlington victory
- 15:06 Shopkeeper threatened and robbed in Shirley store hold-up
- 15:05 Melbourne woman originally from Zimbabwe says coup has been...
- 15:04 This is what you can do if you think your neighbours are smoking...
- 15:03 Tony Pulis sacked: who will be West Brom’s next manager?
- 15:02 West Ham favourites to beat Newcastle to wantaway Liverpool man...
- 15:02 Tales revival night hailed huge success
- 15:02 Louis van Gaal to Everton: Odds slashed on Dutchman taking over at...
- 15:02 £10 shop theft from Worksop store put man at risk of prison
- 15:02 International Space Station captures fast-moving ‘UFO’ heading...