Zika breakthrough? Scientists identify molecules that take over the immune system - and how to stop them
Scientists have identified how the Zika virus takes over the immune system in a major breakthrough that paves the way for a virus.
The virus outbreak has transformed a previously little-known infection into a global public health emergency.
But researchers are still largely ignorant about Zika's chemical makeup, how it causes its symptoms, and how it survives in the body for months.
Now researchers at Glasgow University have been able to shed more light on how the Zika virus works by sequencing the full-length genome of the virus from a patient in Brazil.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
They studied... read more
- 05:25 Mental health staff on long-term stress leave up 22%
- 05:20 Should kids get free school meals during the school holidays?
- 05:16 Alexis Sanchez: Manchester City chasing Arsenal ace, worried PSG...
- 05:16 Arsenal news LIVE updates: Sanchez latest, Wenger on Lacazette,...
- 05:15 Manchester United news and transfer rumours LIVE Romelu Lukaku...
- 05:15 Man City news and transfer rumours LIVE Guardiola press conference...
- 05:15 Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku has changed in one key way...
- 05:14 Two charged with murder over burned body in Southfields garden
- 05:13 Subway confirms shop opening in Lincolnshire town - creating ten jobs
- 05:13 Lap dancing club bosses agree to drug testing at venue after police...
- 05:13 Is the US solar industry about to tear itself apart?
- 05:13 Trump supersizes America’s most famous aeroplane
- 05:10 14 amazing student jobs you can apply for in Liverpool right now
- 05:10 Thousands of smokers hit by litter squad in Liverpool
- 05:10 'Police can't protect my disabled wife from heartless street yobs'
- 05:10 Motorbike man stunned after police 'dismiss' CCTV catching thieves...
- 05:09 Labour Deputy Leader Tom Watson on rule changes, Brexit and Destiny 2
- 05:09 Apparently Newcastle is the 21st best place to live, behind Slough...
- 05:09 Ammonia attacker caught carrying the chemical again - because he is...
- 05:05 Coventry to bask in warm weekend as temperatures soar
- 05:05 Bus driver accused of causing 20-year-old's death in court today
- 05:05 Aston Villa target 'reminds me of Luis Suarez' - inside track on...
- 05:05 German election marks unprecedented political shift
- 05:05 Helen Zille: Why South African politician will only shower every...
- 04:55 Why THIS is the largest piece of unclaimed land in the world
- 04:55 Duo handed two-year ban from pub for attacking police and...
- 04:54 Lewis Hamilton FINALLY reveals his dating status after being linked...
- 04:44 Banks to carry out immigration checks on customers
- 04:32 'Dress day' donations pour in after politician's criticism
- 04:32 Kim says 'deranged' Trump shows need for nuclear programme