Youngsters placed in prisons miles from homes
Children are held in youth prisons such as the one at Hindley hundreds of miles away from their home.
A new report out today reveals some young inmates have been sent to institutions almost 200 away from where they live.
And inspectors found that young inmates in custody further from home had fewer visits from family and friends.
One boy was 187 miles from home and had not received a family visit in four months following his transfer from a young offender institution closer to home.
Analysis by HM Inspectorate of Prisons found that each each 25-mile interval that a child was held from home... read more
- 00:06 Syria: Erdogan ‘to drive YPG from Manbij’
- 00:06 Washington abstains from annual UN vote blasting its blockade
- 00:06 ‘Staggering failures’ in NHS Scotland reform as coasts soar
- 00:06 Venezuela: Right accelerates plan to oust Maduro
- 00:06 Rail workers to strike over ‘horrendous’ safety threats
- 00:06 Victim of domestic abuse ‘traumatised’ by court appearance
- 00:06 PM’s ‘cunning plan’ laughed at
- 00:06 Protesters call on Britain to ‘have a heart’
- 00:05 Patients must understand options, says Royal College of Surgeons
- 00:04 Teen seduced by his teacher accused of armed raid on home of woman...
- 00:04 David Goodwillie rape accuser was five times the drink-drive limit...
- 00:04 Disappearing Duarte: Where is Veracruz's governor?
- 00:00 Giroud’s return could be pivital to Arsenal’s fortunes
- 00:00 Rome film festival shows what British screens are missing
- 00:00 Loudon clear music and mirth
- 00:00 Breaking the silence
- 00:00 MMA all but outlawed in France due to new fight decree
- 00:00 Glenn calls for England to have psychologists
- 00:00 Burnham: Money ruining the game
- 00:00 Derided by the state today, heroes tomorrow
- 00:00 Unearthing the hypocrisy of the ‘pro-prostitution left’
- 00:00 Privatised transport not fit for purpose
- 00:00 Labour must stand in by-election
- 00:00 Philippines: Duterte gives US troops two years to exit country
- 00:00 Tusk claims hated EU-Canada trade deal still on the cards
- 00:00 Iraq: 1,000 civilians evacuated from Mosul
- 00:00 Rudd urged to avoid same mistakes as Hillsborough
- 00:00 Memorial for last British International Brigader
- 00:00 Drug giants accused of overcharging the NHS
- 23:54 Tesla reports first quarterly profit for three years