Young people leaving care in Lichfield and Burntwood to be exempt from council tax until they are 21
Young people leaving care in Lichfield and Burntwood will not have to pay council tax until they are 21, Staffordshire County Council has confirmed.
The initiative, which the authority says is designed to help them move into adult life, will start on April 1.
The measures were unveiled at a meeting of the county council’s Cabinet earlier this week and will see around 300 people across Staffordshire benefit.
Cllr Mark Sutton, Cabinet member for children and young people said he hoped the scheme would help those young people who may have challenges in managing their own budgets for the first... read more
- 05:25 If your children have these names you can get into Legoland Windsor...
- 05:24 From Stonehenge to Iceland's Arctic Henge, by motorbike – photo essay
- 05:21 Birmingham Post Business Awards sponsors enjoy Belfry breakfast
- 05:21 'I trust him': Minnesota crowd split on immigration but refuse to...
- 05:16 Oldest Homo sapiens bones ever found shake foundations of the human...
- 05:15 England’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek wants bigger Chelsea role or may leave
- 05:07 'Let the adventure begin!' - What you had to say about the high...
- 05:07 Shocking pictures show the horrific places where homeless people...
- 04:43 Absolute Bowie celebrates the life of David Bowie at Burton's...
- 04:39 The Grimsby taxi drivers who have become unlikely icons of...
- 04:36 Jacinda Ardern #babywatch sends New Zealand media gaga
- 04:34 Hull man hacks victim's emails and calls them 90 times a day
- 04:34 Heart Awards 2018: How to nominate your unsung hero
- 04:27 Charlottesville organiser plans Washington DC rally
- 04:16 Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl
- 04:06 In pictures: Isle of Wight Festival at 50
- 04:06 Ed Sheeran: Travel and ticket warning for Cardiff concerts
- 04:06 Family's £15k debt from fight against Section 322(5) immigration rule
- 04:03 National Enquirer publisher subpoenaed in Michael Cohen inquiry
- 03:42 Research backs English as key to development
- 03:38 Trump at rally: family separation outcry is a distraction by Democrats
- 03:28 Sex, drugs and A&E: 10 charts on how the under-30s use the NHS
- 03:21 Donald Trump 'lacks character' for hotel liquor licence
- 03:21 Western Australia defends decision to search live sheep exporter's...
- 03:13 Daimler expects lower 2018 earnings due to new tariffs
- 02:57 Brexit: Theresa May vows 'smooth and orderly' EU exit
- 02:46 Sergio Ramos hits back at Diego Maradona by claiming Lionel Messi...
- 02:36 Algeria shuts down internet to prevent cheating during high school...
- 02:22 Bury Music Centre Festival puts 300 young people in the spotlight
- 02:05 Johnny Marr returns to save us from ourselves