Yoshinori Ohsumi scoops the 2016 Nobel Prize in medicine for his work on how cells 'recycle' themselves
The Nobel Assembly at Stockholm's Karolinska Institute has announced the first of this year's Nobel Prizes: the award in medicine or physiology.
It was awarded to Japanese biologist Yoshinori Ohsumi for his work exploring autophagy - the process by which cells recycle their own contents.
Professor Ohsumi, a researcher at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, is the sixth Nobel laureate from Japan to win the accolade in the field of medicine.
Commenting on winning the award, Professor Ohsumi said: 'I was surprised. I was in my lab.'
Autophagy - which comes from the Greek meaning 'self-eating' -... read more
- 14:58 Antonio Conte talks about being sacked by Chelsea following shock...
- 14:58 These roads in Cheshire West remain blocked by trees blown down in...
- 14:58 Claudio Ranieri and 10 other managers sacked year after winning title
- 14:58 Grange School at Hartford celebrates hockey tournament successes
- 14:58 Verratti, Moses, Soares: The 10 signings Barcelona could bring to...
- 14:58 BoE proposes changes to ease capital burden for smaller banks
- 14:58 Sandal mum is a Super Blogger
- 14:55 Cristiano Ronaldo gives seal of approval to new Bugatti Chiron as...
- 14:55 PICTURE: Crash between car and lorry on South Yorkshire motorway
- 14:54 Sandal mum is a Super Blogger
- 14:53 Two injured after Polo and Mercedes crash near to Sovereign garage...
- 14:53 Why Manchester United loanee Adnan Januzaj is getting praise at...
- 14:53 Planning applications: Change of use to dog grooming parlour in Warley
- 14:53 Taxi driver attacked by large gang of youths
- 14:53 PICTURE: Crash between car and lorry on South Yorkshire motorway
- 14:53 Celebrity chef to launch new Harrogate restaurant
- 14:52 Celebrity chef to launch new Harrogate restaurant
- 14:52 ‘Baddies’ dance to help boost charity
- 14:52 Council tax increase of £5 for Wellingborough approved unanimously
- 14:51 Jose Mourinho unhappy with Manchester United’s Europa League draw
- 14:51 Just how full have Premier League stadiums been this season?
- 14:51 Floyd Mayweather celebrates 40th birthday in typical 'Money Man'...
- 14:51 Fleetwood Town boss Rosler wary of free-scoring Cobblers
- 14:50 Sandal mum is a Super Blogger
- 14:50 Dean Keates challenges Wrexham AFC to end away day blues
- 14:50 Should Guinness World Records really be rewarding this?
- 14:50 Purse theft police inquiry
- 14:50 Extra time granted to junior football free pitch hire
- 14:50 Barron Knights set to stir memories of Mansfield’s Granada venue
- 14:50 Once-shy cadet to inspire youngsters