Yoshinori Ohsumi scoops the 2016 Nobel Prize in medicine for his work on how cells 'recycle' themselves
The Nobel Assembly at Stockholm's Karolinska Institute has announced the first of this year's Nobel Prizes: the award in medicine or physiology.
It was awarded to Japanese biologist Yoshinori Ohsumi for his work exploring autophagy - the process by which cells recycle their own contents.
Professor Ohsumi, a researcher at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, is the sixth Nobel laureate from Japan to win the accolade in the field of medicine.
Commenting on winning the award, Professor Ohsumi said: 'I was surprised. I was in my lab.'
Autophagy - which comes from the Greek meaning 'self-eating' -... read more
- 14:23 Commuters face travel chaos as rail and Tube staff strike
- 14:23 Government 'concerned' about possible use of UK munitions in Yemen...
- 14:20 SUNDAY NEWSPAPER SHARE TIPS: RM Secured Direct Lending, Places for...
- 14:19 Finland shooting: Three women killed outside restaurant in Imatra
- 14:18 Get in the Christmas spirit with new production
- 14:16 Cleethorpes in the 1960s - Pictures
- 14:15 Melton Times letter: Plans to close St Mary’s Birth Centre
- 14:15 Arsenal star David Ospina planning talks with Arsene Wenger over...
- 14:12 Christmas party in Louth for the Air Ambulance
- 14:10 Witnesses sought after 'deliberate' Ribchester barn fire
- 14:10 A leap forward or a step too far? The new debate over embryo research
- 14:09 Derbyshire council chiefs pull funding for ‘lifeline’ bus service
- 14:08 Derbyshire council chiefs pull funding for ‘lifeline’ bus service
- 14:08 Markets braced as Italians and Austrians go to the polls
- 14:08 Samuel Eto’o slams Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho: He’s out...
- 14:06 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Brownies present money from show
- 14:06 FEATURE: Case studies of exotic pets rescued by Ark Wildlife Park
- 14:05 FEATURE: Case studies of exotic pets rescued by Ark Wildlife Park
- 14:03 Were you among 600 Santas doing the Jingle Jog at Markeaton Park in...
- 14:01 Willian believes this was key to Chelsea's win over Man City
- 13:58 Serious crash closes Lincolnshire road - police at the scene
- 13:54 Pet cat has surgery after being shot near Oswestry
- 13:51 Chelsea defender David Luiz plays down Manchester City striker...
- 13:51 Traffic backing up in the city centre following crash in Lower...
- 13:46 48 hours in Castro's Cuba: From sipping daiquiris at Hemmingway's...
- 13:47 Serious crash closes road, police on the scene
- 13:47 Hull food hygiene ratings show four need to make major improvements
- 13:46 A REAL cliff hanger! Extreme campers pitch climbing tents more than...
- 13:46 Less than half of U.S. hotels have Bibles in rooms - but Trump...
- 13:46 COLUMN: Explore the Peaks from every angle like Puttrell