Yahoo 'scanned emails to help FBI hunt terrorists'
Yahoo scanned its users' incoming emails for an unusual string of characters that had been linked to a terrorist organisation, according to a fresh report about the matter.
The New York Times says flagged messages were made available to the FBI, but the scans have now stopped.
It adds that the tech company adapted one of its spam and child-abuse-image filters to carry out the task.
The details build on an earlier report by the news agency Reuters.
Yahoo declined to add to its previous statements, in which it said Reuters' report was "misleading" and that it was "a law-abiding... read more
- 09:21 Big Little Lies: Nicole Kidman left in 'a lot of pain' with...
- 09:20 Which 11 Prem stars make it into the European media’s top 25...
- 09:20 In-demand midfielder appears to confirm Manchester United transfer
- 09:20 Burglars targeting two Sheffield suburbs in crime wave
- 09:20 Mobile phone snatched from delivery company
- 09:20 New car park opens in Crowle as part of regeneration plans
- 09:20 Neighbours star Little aims for large panto success at Palace Theatre
- 09:19 Work on £52,000 skate park nearing completion
- 09:19 South Yorkshire blinded military hero makes second attempt to reach...
- 09:19 Rangers prodigy Billy Gilmour a summer target for Chelsea - but...
- 09:19 VOTE: Have PNE left themselves with too much to do?
- 09:18 ‘Thousands of pupils at risk’ over lack of proper school health plan
- 09:18 Meet Nottingham lawyer whose brother-in-law Nick Wright scored one...
- 09:18 Roads are now in terminal decline, new report claims
- 09:17 Richard Branson makes THIS shocking Dragon's Den confession
- 09:17 WEATHER ALERT: Beware foggy conditions
- 09:17 AA full-year core profit steady, new business up
- 09:17 Fears Brits could lose £1.1bn in spare change by forgetting to swap...
- 09:17 Coventry City and Charlton Athletic fans to team up for joint...
- 09:17 Elderly man taken to hospital after fire at Norman Hudson Care Home...
- 09:17 Roads are now in terminal decline, new report claims
- 09:16 South Yorkshire residents could no longer get access to...
- 09:16 New Zealand coach issues injury update on Leeds star Chris Wood,...
- 09:16 Chelsea transfer decision to be made in next fortnight, steep fee...
- 09:15 Cumbrian family take brain tumour campaign to Westminster
- 09:15 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 09:14 Berlin airport ground staff agree pay deal after strikes - union
- 09:13 Cheshire West and Chester Fairtrade Fortnight is a big hit with...
- 09:13 ‘Thousands of pupils at risk’ over lack of proper school health plan
- 09:13 Nick Clegg accuses Government of ‘clipping Parliament’s wings’ with...