Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer 'rejected an automated email password reset after the major hack as she feared it could drive users away'
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer refused to offer users an automated password reset after the major hack - because she feared it would scare away customers, according to reports.
Around 500 million Yahoo accounts were hacked in 2014 - making it one of the largest security breaches in history.
A source close to Yahoo told the Financial Times that Mayer was informed of the potential breach as early as July.
But the CEO, who often clashed with the company's internal security team on costs, rejected the idea of sending out an automated email requiring users to update their passwords.
The move is... read more
- 11:44 BREAKING: Wind speed of 71mph recorded in Sheffield - one of...
- 11:44 Harry Redknapp: Why leaderless Arsenal need to sign Wayne Rooney
- 11:44 Motorway blocked after rush hour collision
- 11:43 Woman 'traumatised' after sex assault in Leeds
- 11:43 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:43 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:43 Storm Doris flights: Is your journey affected as the weather bomb...
- 11:40 Jeremy Hunt calls for investigation into overnight closure of...
- 11:40 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:40 Storm Doris leaves fallen trees blocking Boston roads
- 11:40 Derby County: Aston Villa's weekend opponents under the microscope
- 11:39 High winds cause speed restriction on Scarborough trains
- 11:39 Storm Doris: Can I claim compensation for a delayed flight?
- 11:39 ALERT: Public urged to unplug EXPLODING tumble dryers
- 11:39 VIDEO: The calm before Storm Doris
- 11:39 Frustrations increasing over travellers in Warwick
- 11:39 National Express raises free cash flow outlook on international demand
- 11:39 Eight dead and 20 injured after bombing in Pakistan shopping centre
- 11:39 Spanish club offers women free entry, drink & £85 if they go...
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs