WWI: The 'gentlemanly massacre' of Scarborough's fishing fleet
World War One, with its brutal trench fighting and poison gas attacks, was not known for its chivalry. Yet 100 years ago, 19 fishing boats were sunk without the loss of a single life, due to the compassionate actions of a German U-boat crew.
In September 1916, a group of fishing steamers were about 20 miles north-east of Scarborough when U-57 surfaced under the cover of darkness.
The waters had been declared a warzone by Germany, with nine trawler crew members dying in a torpedo attack a year earlier.
Eleven of Scarborough's 16 steamers had their nets down when the German commanding officer... read more
- 08:01 My dad survived cancer... so can I
- 08:01 Parent took child to Blackpool A&E because of dog muck on shoes...
- 08:01 Gary Neville: This was the turning point for Antonio Conte at Chelsea
- 08:00 Stratford AC rise to the occasion at Welcombe Hills
- 07:58 Bruno Martins Indi keen on extending stay at Stoke
- 07:58 Man Utd fans - have you seen the state of Zorya's pitch ahead of...
- 07:56 Ban for owner of ex-racehorse so thin 'every bone in his body'...
- 07:56 Model cars worth £110,000 to go under the hammer in Dudley
- 07:56 Work to start on £2 million Staffordshire flood defences
- 07:56 Elderly South Derbyshire man scammed out of money and valuables
- 07:56 Greeks strike against austerity before budget vote, bailout review
- 07:56 Aleppo displaced hide out in last rebel districts as army closes in
- 07:56 Principal uses redundancy money to fund unique new school
- 07:55 Medals galore for Stratford rowers
- 07:55 Far right Swiss People's Party rules out demanding referendum on...
- 07:53 Watch out for Santa’s sleigh
- 07:53 In the courts of Lincolnshire...
- 07:52 M1 crash near A52 Brian Clough Way causes traffic problems
- 07:51 Grimsby Town winger Ashley Chambers talks about his comeback from...
- 07:51 Grimsby Town vs Portsmouth MATCH PREVIEW: Ashley Chambers desperate...
- 07:50 Santa body shames nine-year-old boy
- 07:50 Arsenal legend: Arsene Wenger had the chance to sign this superstar...
- 07:50 Transfer News: Arsenal’s Cazorla replacement, Chelsea eye £38m bid,...
- 07:50 Russia says close to reaching understanding on Aleppo with U.S. - Ifax
- 07:48 Former Caralot partner Jamie Caple apologises after Spondon firm...
- 07:47 New average speed cameras on a Lincolnshire road catch 190 speeding...
- 07:47 Driver in disbelief over parking ticket for being 10 SECONDS late
- 07:47 Why are the swans disappearing from Brayford Pool in Lincoln?
- 07:47 New home for flood-hit centre
- 07:47 Barton under Needwood became a different place the day Arnold...