WWI soldiers whose graves were wrongly marked laid to rest with military honours
Privates William Marmon and Harry Carter, both 21, died with six other soldiers when a 15-ton German underground mine exploded on November 22 1915.
Hundreds of tons of earth engulfed the dugout where the pair, of the 10th Battalion the Essex Regiment, were most likely on sentry duty.
Their deaths were marked at the time with named graves and headstones at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's (CWGC) Albert Communal Cemetery Extension in France.
But, thanks to dogged detective work by experts, it emerged a century later that rather than being recovered and buried, the men had lain... read more
- 13:33 Protesters lock-on at Preston New Road
- 13:32 PHOTO GALLERY: Borrowdale shows Cumbria at its autumnal best
- 13:32 Huddersfield vs Man Utd TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds and...
- 13:31 Barrow man banned from vets after abusive threats
- 13:31 Midfielder Knight makes move to FC Stratford
- 13:31 Spalding United former physio and long-time supporter Jack Pateman...
- 13:31 Shauna’s Christmas wish
- 13:31 Christopher Home helping to take the pressure off A&E
- 13:31 Underage sex man avoids jail
- 13:30 Court: Retired shepherd let dogs terrorise sheep
- 13:29 Can too much sugar cause NIGHTMARES? Bizarre myths believed by...
- 13:28 Aldi is now selling its own luxury Thai curry kits for £1.39
- 13:28 Fans accuse EastEnders of 'copying' Coronation Street
- 13:28 Premier League predictions: Super computer calls this weekend’s...
- 13:28 Tip charges set to start at county's recycling centres
- 13:27 Terrorist who tried to blow up plane with underwear bomb now suing...
- 13:27 Nottingham Forest boss Mark Warburton looking forward to 'tough...
- 13:27 Wigan child abuser’s jail term slashed by five years
- 13:27 Mum’s agony is over as her son 's ashes finally return
- 13:26 Nicola Sturgeon admits citizen’s income plan might not work
- 13:23 Which roads, bus and cycle routes have been awarded Government cash
- 13:23 Wetherby road reopens ahead of schedule
- 13:23 Shocking photos show scene of devastation after staff injured in...
- 13:23 Watch: Moment police arrest would-be suicide bomber who asked...
- 13:23 MP Jess Philips 'appalled' after Labour colleague filmed saying 'on...
- 13:23 Tories must seek new leader now, says donor Alexander Temerko
- 13:22 Residents in county urged to help young homeless
- 13:22 Decontamination complete at former Chester petrol station
- 13:21 Carpet store plan for former Grantham Kontak social club
- 13:21 Livingston FC blog: The hard work is paying off