Writer draws on Crowland rail memories for new play
An award-winning novelist and playwright has drawn on her grandparents’ experiences of living and working near Crowland for her next project.
Julie Mayhew, who won The Sidewise Best-Long Form Alternate History Award last year for her second novel The Big Lie, has written a new stage adaptation of the classic children’s novel, The Railway Children.
However, although Julie’s version is set in 1960s Peterborough, the author also looked to her grandfather’s experiences while working at the former Postland Rail Station in Crowland, where the line closed in 1982.
Julie said: “The research I did... read more
- 10:53 Warning after crews tackle flat fire in Preston
- 10:53 Liverpool and Spurs eye former Premier League striker: January deal...
- 10:51 Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil working together to get more money...
- 10:48 Thug left partner covered in bite marks, bruises and scratches...
- 10:48 More than 100 motorists caught speeding on the A50 - in just three...
- 10:47 Police’s Operation Cracker reaps results in fight against shoplifters
- 10:44 LIVE: Brentford v Burton Albion build-up, Brewers search for first...
- 10:44 Pop stars send messages of condolence to Doncaster's Louis...
- 10:38 People are loving the story of 60-year-old Sue’s first ever...
- 10:38 Traffic warning due to A5 closure after lorry blaze
- 10:36 Defibrillator stolen from Market Drayton Football Club
- 10:34 Shop open for business after cash machine ripped from wall
- 10:34 Coyle pleased with Rovers’ good form
- 10:33 Firefighters battle car blaze as police launch investigation
- 10:33 Police’s Operation Cracker reaps results in fight against shoplifters
- 10:33 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:29 Hark the herald - it’s time for Carols by Candlelight
- 10:28 Lincoln City to face Nantwich Town in FA Trophy first round
- 10:26 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:24 First drive: 2017 Nissan X-Trail
- 10:23 Suspected car bomb kills two policemen at checkpoint near Somali...
- 10:21 Boots For Buddies appeal will ensure football is open to everyone
- 10:19 Red Dog Saloon given ONE star food hygiene rating
- 10:19 West Bridgford Dramatic Society's A Christmas Carol: Review
- 10:19 Celebrations as Ethel turns 103 today
- 10:18 ‘Large number’ affected by burst water main in Boston area
- 10:15 Marco Verratti believes Real Madrid and Barcelona would struggle in...
- 10:15 Hundreds of fish found dead at Sunderland lake which suffered...
- 10:15 Sunderland Echo poll shows u-turn on Brexit
- 10:14 Readers call for concert venue or swimming pool to be built at...