Wreck of British blueberry freighter re-emerges off the coast of Cape Cod 77 years after running aground
Marine surveyors say a British freighter that was carrying 230 tons of frozen blueberries when it sank off the coast of Cape Cod in 1939 has begun to emerge again on the ocean floor about 400 feet offshore.
Marine surveyor John Perry Fish tells the Cape Cod Times that new sonar images show the Lutzen is in about 20 feet of water with the bow and stern visible.
Over the years, the shipwreck has often been covered with sand, but the tides have changed so that it is slowly re-emerging into view.
Fish conducted the sonar mapping September 26 in conjunction with the state Board of Underwater... read more
- 17:09 Manchester United winning the FA Cup was the biggest achievement of...
- 17:09 State of emergency declared in The Gambia
- 17:09 Rape victims' champion who made legal history to be laid to rest in...
- 17:09 Hunt for Ben Geraghty wanted after string of violent crimes in Hull
- 17:09 The seven things Hull learnt from Theresa May's Brexit speech
- 17:09 Body anxious teens avoid PE, says report
- 17:08 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte identifies his No.1 target to replace...
- 17:08 A15 reopens after lorry overturns
- 17:07 Louis van Gaal's dream team: From Rivaldo to Luis Figo, Danny Blind...
- 17:07 Chelsea interested in Middlesbrough starlet Adama Traore as...
- 17:07 Sire De Grugy ruled out of Berkshire Community Foundation Clarence...
- 17:06 BMW, UK car industry say Britain needs to keep tariff-free EU trade
- 17:06 Harrogate mother felt "belittled and laughed at" during gym induction
- 17:05 Top tips if you’re heading to the slopes this season
- 17:05 E-fits released after woman is bundled into a car and slashed with...
- 17:05 French financier de Castries backs presidential hopeful Fillon
- 17:05 Applicator vs non applicator: the war of the tampons
- 17:05 Audi to expand electric car range in China with FAW
- 17:05 Police warn Sheffield residents after a spate of burglaries across...
- 17:05 Council's go-ahead for Reedley Road resurfacing
- 17:05 CUTS: ‘Staff shortage’ sees Bassetlaw Children’s Ward close to...
- 17:05 Facebook's virtual-reality tech was not stolen, Zuckerberg testifies
- 17:04 Lincoln City v Ipswich Town LIVE - follow the Imps' FA Cup third...
- 17:04 Armed gang storms Wirral homes and threaten owners in terrifying...
- 17:03 Farmers must look for opportunity
- 17:03 Harrogate mother felt "belittled and laughed at" during gym induction
- 17:03 BREAKING: More than 100 dead after Nigerian military bomb refugee...
- 17:03 Hidden gem on Alfreton high street offers host of occasion wear
- 17:02 Nottinghamshire author is inspired by funeral conversation for...
- 17:02 Britain needs 'all-encompassing' free trade deal with EU, says CBI