Would it be fairer if everyone paid the same level of tax or should the rich pay more?
How do we decide how much tax the richest and poorest people should pay?
You’d think this would be a straight-forward question; surely people just want a system that is fair.
Not so. On this episode of The Big Money Questions, professor of politics at New York University David Stasavage explains the three different systems that are considered by some to be fair.
The prevailing view can lead to top tax rate as high as 90 per cent, as seen in Britain after World War II, to a government trying to lift the inheritance tax burden for most people today.
So where do you fit in the debate?
RELATED... read more
- 00:34 Unique Cumbrian trees take centre stage in forest exhibition
- 00:33 Conor McGregor 'may never fight again' - UFC president Dana White
- 00:31 Rufus Hound hit with backlash over his Manchester terror...
- 00:31 M&S rides storm after clothing sales setback
- 00:31 City news: Ineos, RBS, Britain's car industry, Screwfix
- 00:29 Fly to the US for less than £100 as low-cost airline opens new...
- 00:28 Donations flood in for homeless heroes
- 00:25 The sex slaves of al-Shabab
- 00:23 Manchester attack: Everything we know about suicide bomber Salman...
- 00:22 Found at scene in Manchester: Detonator, Shrapnel and battery
- 00:22 Watch Europa League final highlights after Manchester United beat Ajax
- 00:22 Tiger Woods determined to play golf again but admits he faces at...
- 00:21 Here is everything we know so far about the Manchester tragedy
- 00:20 Manchester terror attack: Nuneaton property raided and man arrested
- 00:19 Churches and police join forces to help most vulnerable in Cumbria
- 00:18 Call for Leeds rail passengers to help protect vulnerable children
- 00:18 Drinking coffee may have protective effect against liver cancer,...
- 00:18 Patrick Mercer: Terrorism – we must protect those who protect us
- 00:18 YP Comment: Standing up to the forces of evil. Soldiers in a show...
- 00:17 Jose Mourinho: This striker could be at Manchester United next season
- 00:17 Manchester United told to go on epic spending spree: They need four...
- 00:16 The staggering number of abusive tweets sent to MPs
- 00:10 Last night's TV reviewed: Fair cops a force for good
- 00:10 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger set to name shock inclusion for Chelsea...
- 00:09 'I turned my dad's erotic novel into a hit podcast'
- 00:06 Coronation Street attacker reveal, killer exit and rape horror: 10...
- 00:05 Syrian army drives back Isis in surprise blitz offensive
- 00:05 Venezuela: Delayed regional elections after constitution rewrite
- 00:05 Philippines: Dirty Duterte may extend martial law
- 00:05 PCS: Serwotka presses for end to zero-hours