Would it be fairer if everyone paid the same level of tax or should the rich pay more?
How do we decide how much tax the richest and poorest people should pay?
You’d think this would be a straight-forward question; surely people just want a system that is fair.
Not so. On this episode of The Big Money Questions, professor of politics at New York University David Stasavage explains the three different systems that are considered by some to be fair.
The prevailing view can lead to top tax rate as high as 90 per cent, as seen in Britain after World War II, to a government trying to lift the inheritance tax burden for most people today.
So where do you fit in the debate?
RELATED... read more
- 06:45 Man City won't be able to play their usual way because of this...
- 06:45 Liverpool at Christmas - a fantastic festive weekend break
- 06:44 Liverpool at Christmas - a fantastic festive weekend break
- 06:40 Chapecoense plane crash: Team's home town gathers for memorial service
- 06:38 MP John Bercow defends his taxpayer spend on clothing
- 06:35 Minibus licence loophole puts people at risk - LGA
- 06:33 OPEC to meet non-OPEC producers on Dec. 10 in Vienna - sources
- 06:33 Thieves swipe games from disabled children
- 06:32 Former Man City and Chelsea man: This is the most likely result at...
- 06:29 Another record-breaking year for Wellingborough’s Poppy Appeal
- 06:29 Historic Wollaston shoe firm to open first factory shop
- 06:29 Corby thief known to security guard as ‘DVD man’ must ‘buckle up’...
- 06:29 Leader comment: Talk of sea change in public opinion is fanciful
- 06:29 Future Fit: Call for delay over legal action in Shropshire A&E row
- 06:28 Derbyshire driver Keith Mees who was sending Facebook messages...
- 06:25 What's the best Christmas film of all time?
- 06:25 Hartlepool United’s players warned they must shape up or face being...
- 06:25 Police trying to trace Hartlepool man missing from home
- 06:25 Furious Rafa Benitez hits out at ‘clever’ Henri Lansbury after...
- 06:23 South Korean president Park Geun-Hye faces IMPEACHMENT vote...
- 06:22 Grieving Brazilian town receives bodies of soccer crash victims
- 06:19 Court dates for three men after hare coursing in Pode Hole
- 06:18 Pampering pays off for old pals
- 06:18 Sponsors highlight success of businesses in the county
- 06:12 Dever’s set for the Italian job
- 06:10 Pothole funding boost could be the answer to Burton road woes
- 06:10 WATCH: Flood-hit Occupation Lane in Woodville to be closed for two...
- 06:07 Council set to access more competitive water market
- 06:07 North Lincolnshire Council’s adult social care service among the...
- 05:59 Arsenal plot January raid on relegation-threatened West Ham for...