World War Two hero to have headstone replaced after 62 years in unmarked grave
A WORLD War II airman will this week have his grave marked for the first time in 62 years.
RAF fitter Andrew Brownlie’s headstone was removed in 1954 after ground at Glasgow’s Sighthill Cemetery was declared unsafe.
Now the Commonwealth War Graves Commission are restoring Andrew’s grave, along with 83 others, in a ceremony next week.
His great-niece Fiona Barrett is travelling from her Maidstone home to be there.
She said: “When I looked into our family tree and finally traced him, we found him in an unmarked grave.
“The CWGC were brilliant. They said he was on a list for a new... read more
- 09:15 Gianluigi Donnarumma to Liverpool: ‘£35m plus player’ bid lined up...
- 09:15 Unai Emery: New Arsenal manager branded Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho...
- 09:12 Lane blockage and double lorry smash on motorway
- 09:12 Trekkers have a mountain to climb to help children's hospice charity
- 09:12 Home affairs boss accused of 'cover up' in Peter Dutton au pair case
- 09:11 Body found in search for missing Doncaster man
- 09:10 St Mary’s Church hosting children’s workshop during Warwick Festival
- 09:10 Why is the bee a symbol of Manchester?
- 09:10 Departing Kenilworth mayor presents cheques to charities
- 09:09 Harry Kane confirmed as England’s captain for the World Cup
- 09:08 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 09:07 Princess Beatrice looks surprised among floral-printed bouncers
- 09:07 Peaky Blinders writer reveals the Birmingham City star he'd most...
- 09:07 Where you’re from will determine what university course you’re...
- 09:07 Tollbar CEO: ‘East Lindsey should congratulate us for investing in...
- 09:07 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge responds to reported fall out with...
- 09:07 Shares jump on report China could scrap birth limits
- 09:05 Louth CC: First XI beaten at Woodhall Spa
- 09:04 Police hunt driver after 'hit-and-run' in Preston
- 09:04 Government wants to open mystery fund set up in 1928 to help tackle...
- 09:04 WATCH: Rio Ferdinand says England have 'no chance' of winning the...
- 09:04 Ducks filmed waiting at traffic lights for man to turn green
- 09:03 FTSE LIVE: Shares push on to another record high as positive Spring...
- 09:02 'Devastated' fans reaction over Car Share finale shocked Peter Kay
- 09:00 Rail passengers hit out at Northern after more than 50 refused...
- 08:59 This is why Tesco is scrapping best before dates on fresh food
- 08:59 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 08:59 Ariana Grande shares heartfelt message one year on from Manchester...
- 08:59 Drug addicts in Scotland 'waiting up to six months' for treatment
- 08:59 Malaria genetics: study shows how disease became deadly