World's smallest nuclear power plant: China is developing a reactor so tiny that it can fit in a shipping container
China is developing the world's smallest nuclear power station, which could go into operation within five years, according to new reports.
The tiny power plant would fit inside a shipping container and could generate 10 megawatts of heat - enough to power 50,000 households.
The mini reactor could be placed on an island in the disputed South China Sea.
THE MINI POWER PLANT - Known as hedianbao, or 'portable nuclear battery pack'
- Generates 10 megawatts of heat, enough to power 50,000 households
- Measures around just 20 feet (6.1 metres) by 8.5 feet (2.6 metres)
- Would enable the... read more
- 09:52 Syrian jets launch new blitz while UN vote on truce is postponed
- 09:51 The secret to… not being a sweary parent
- 09:51 Nappies, takeaways and bubble wrap: could I remove plastic from my...
- 09:50 Barrow bell tower benefits from £3000 grant for restoration work
- 09:49 Determined Claverdon get back on track
- 09:49 End of an era at Bert McCormick's Ballyclare music shop
- 09:47 UK’s Brexit plans are based on pure illusion, warns Donald Tusk
- 09:47 Dua Lipa reveals her music is inspired by ‘terrible’ ex boyfriends
- 09:47 Wanted man caught in Preston after 'rooftop stand-off'
- 09:46 ‘Even if I can’t feed myself, I at least get up and feed them’: How...
- 09:46 Shoppers in Leamington and Warwick encouraged to support ‘Fairtrade...
- 09:46 USA topple Sweden to cap fairytale run with first ever Olympic...
- 09:45 Keeper urges Boro not to underestimate Sunderland as Teessiders eye...
- 09:45 Manchester United cannot play well with Alexis Sanchez in their...
- 09:45 Pair charged over young brothers' road deaths in Coventry
- 09:44 Two charged over Coventry hit-and-run crash which killed brothers...
- 09:42 BBC presenter’s book focuses on Easton Walled Gardens
- 09:41 Taxi driver caught using Costa Coffee cup lid as fuel cap
- 09:40 Man Utd v Chelsea: Former Premier League star makes big prediction...
- 09:38 Manchester City’s Oleksandr Zinchenko: ‘I trained on the streets of...
- 09:38 Children’s charity admits six cases of sexual abuse and...
- 09:37 Wigan man had vile child abuse images on his computer
- 09:36 Dave Seddon’s PNE pressview: The rise of Alan Browne
- 09:36 Winter Olympics 2018: Billy Morgan makes ‘HORRIBLE’ claim after...
- 09:36 Winter Olympics: Ester Ledecka wins two gold medals in DIFFERENT...
- 09:34 Report shows UK has an ‘unhealthy’ relationship with alcohol
- 09:33 Sinkhole of 'unknown depth' opens ups on Dallamires Lane, Ripon
- 09:32 South Tyneside garden waste collections start next month
- 09:32 Trust received funding boost from council
- 09:32 Get ready to be entertained as Customs House announces new shows