World's only particle accelerator for art is back at the Louvre
The world's only particle accelerator used regularly in the analysis of art has gone back into use at the Louvre museum in Paris.
The accelerator has been rebuilt to allow it to investigate paintings without risking damage to the artworks.
The upgrade cost €2.1m (£1.8m; $2.5m). The machine is 37m (88ft) long.
Paintings were rarely analysed with earlier versions of the accelerator because of fears that the particle beam might change the colours.
The first objects to be tested by the newly configured accelerator, known as Aglae, included Roman votive statues of the household gods, the Lares,... read more
- 05:45 Crackdown on parking near Bradgate Park after visitors crowd street
- 05:45 Plans revealed for new £8m unit in Leicestershire which will help...
- 05:42 Popular Chinese takeaway given one out five food hygiene rating
- 05:42 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 05:42 'It's devastating - and what will replace it?' - House of Fraser...
- 05:14 Trump says North Korea still 'extraordinary threat'
- 05:14 Brian to follow dad’s journey in honour of our Regiment
- 05:14 YEP says: Arguing over words won’t stop people dying on our streets
- 04:31 Public asked to stay away from Cardigan Bay dolphins
- 04:31 Alana Mian and Hameeda Begum: Bolton arson probe continues
- 04:06 Syrian barrel bomb attack on rebels jeopardises US-Russia deal
- 03:58 Unravelling the mystery of Akon's Wakanda
- 03:41 Mesut Ozil to request Arsenal’s No.10 shirt after Jack Wilshere’s exit
- 03:31 Eureka turns training pitch for girls
- 02:45 Momentum chief Jon Lansman's 'run on pound' fear
- 02:39 BREAKING: Ex-South Korean Prime Minister Kim Jong-Pil has died
- 02:32 Is racism worsening Australia's China influence row?
- 02:32 Turkey's elections explained in 100 and 500 words
- 02:31 Ariana Grande boasts about size of Pete Davidson's manhood in...
- 02:31 Priyanka Chopra takes Nick Jonas to Mumbai! Actress wears racy...
- 02:31 Victoria Beckham flashes a glimpse of her bra under her semi-sheer...
- 02:31 Love Island: Dumped Rosie takes a swipe at Lauren Goodger following...
- 02:31 Ant McPartlin 'offers Lisa Armstrong their London home in a bid to...
- 02:31 Newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky's eight-year-old daughter suffers...
- 02:31 Meghan Trainor flashes cleavage and her giant engagement ring at...
- 02:18 Anthony Bourdain: Chef's mother plans memorial tattoo
- 02:14 Why many mums are better than one
- 02:05 Forced asset sales by banks destroying farmers' lives, Nationals...
- 02:04 When the going gets tough, the tough get mucky
- 01:50 North Korean propaganda changes its tune