World got cannier at using energy last year - IEA
Global energy efficiency, or the amount of gross domestic product squeezed from a given unit of energy, improved by 1.8 percent last year, the International Energy Agency said in a report on Monday.
Measures to improve energy efficiency include car fuel economy standards, lighting technologies and building standards.
Despite progress last year, global energy efficiency needs to improve by at least 2.6 percent a year to put the world on track to meet targets to move away from fossil fuels, the report added.
Countries are under pressure to improve energy efficiency as part of a global... read more
- 17:18 Battle to bring 'brilliant' radiotherapy services to south Cumbria
- 17:17 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:17 Sheffield Council CCTV camera locations revealed
- 17:16 CALDERDALE COUNCIL: New town centre hotel plan
- 17:16 Five French Open matches we’re desperate to see including Sharapova...
- 17:14 Man shot through taxi window by armed police
- 17:13 Bid to make Millom dementia-friendly as part of action week
- 17:13 'Flawed' UK Nursing regulator set to be hauled before parliamentary...
- 17:13 Carlisle hospital parking firm suspended by DVLA
- 17:13 New players wanted at Warwick Girls U9s
- 17:12 Sheep gets stuck on Norfolk river bridge...again
- 17:12 Bidding farewell to Spotty House and Knaresborough
- 17:11 Sunderland University's £5million-plus boost for North East...
- 17:11 Brazil short on basic goods as fuel strike grinds on
- 17:10 IN PICTURES: Celebrating Harry and Meghan’s special day
- 17:10 Does the Growth Commission boost the case for Scottish independence?
- 17:10 Jeremy Corbyn says Northern Ireland needs voice at Brexit table
- 17:08 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:08 Mathew Bates seals in-demand defender as his first Hartlepool signing
- 17:07 Man ‘scalded toddler, 2, in bath, then cut his blistered skin off...
- 17:06 Talented Barrow student artists progress to range of university...
- 17:06 Kate Middleton’s fave designer throws shade at Meghan’s wedding dress
- 17:06 Here’s the best sherry cocktail in the UK, the man behind it and...
- 17:06 Prestwich artist Anna Evans' commemorative Arena attack artwork...
- 17:06 Mining group Vedanta 'should be delisted'
- 17:05 Liverpool to refund cup final tickets for fans with cancelled flights
- 17:04 Family music event planned for Anderby
- 17:03 Thousands sign petition to make Blacker Lane safe
- 17:03 Three South Tyneside men fined for salmon poaching
- 17:03 Tune in to see if Wakefield's Britain's Got Talent stars have made...