World Cup voting scandal reignited as book claims FIFA made secret $100m deal with Qatari TV company before Sepp Blatter twice agreed not to switch finals in exchange for free ride
The storm of controversy over the award of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar is reignited, more than seven years after the votes, with the revelation that Qatar's state TV company agreed a $100million payment to FIFA if they got the 2022 finals.
The claims are made in a new book by a whistleblower from inside Australia's failed 2022 bid, Bonita Mersiades, who has spent years investigating the saga and conducted a recent confessional interview with former FIFA president Sepp Blatter about the process.
Among other new revelations, Blatter claims in the book that:
German legend... read more
- 06:30 Champions League final: Real Madrid's road to Kiev - which clubs...
- 06:29 Damning report into county's mental health services
- 06:28 NSPCC urges Northamptonshire families to give exam pupils ‘vital’...
- 06:26 London teen charged with terror offences
- 06:25 Toronto explosion: more than a dozen injured in restaurant blast
- 06:25 Amy Macleod: Guiding girls towards new challenges can lead to big...
- 06:25 Leader comment: Rediscovering the optimism of a child
- 06:25 Joyce McMillan: Ruth Davidson could be leader of independent Scotland
- 06:25 Toronto restaurant explosion in Canada, injures 15
- 06:25 Best friends helping end homelessness through weight loss success
- 06:25 Nuns’ care home set to close after 155 years
- 06:25 New bill to ensure NHS meets trained staff requirements
- 06:25 Bury CCG considers cutting IVF cycles to balance books
- 06:25 St John's CE Primary School, Radcliffe, in random acts of kindness
- 06:24 Tesco puts US chain Fresh & Easy into bankruptcy
- 06:24 Secondary ticketing: how it works, the law, pitfalls and the future
- 06:22 Watch these LGBTQ flags become bulletproof in anti-violence protest
- 06:20 Guest Column: We must ensure the great British pub doesn’t die out
- 06:18 A right royal occasion at Horncastle Primary School
- 06:17 North End frontman Maguire gets a breather
- 06:16 Champions League final: Former Reds ace REFUSES to travel to Kiev...
- 06:16 Revving up for Motor Festival
- 06:15 Grand-daughter of Rushden-born author H E Bates calls for...
- 06:15 Headteacher’s pride at Ofsted report for Earls Barton school
- 06:15 NSPCC urges Northamptonshire families to give exam pupils ‘vital’...
- 06:15 Corby mum hopes ‘Wear It Purple’ Day will be biggest yet
- 06:14 Residents vent frustrations over crime and anti-social behaviour
- 06:14 Young people have chance to join police cadets
- 06:14 Music and beer festival returns to cricket club for fourth year
- 06:14 Arson attacks rise by more than a third in last two years