World champion Ricky Burns insists boxing is safe after call to ban sport in wake of Mike Towell tragedy
World champion Ricky Burns struggled to put his feelings about the Mike Towell tragedy into words but he believes boxing is fundamentally safe.
The 25-year-old Dundee fighter died in hospital on Friday night after being knocked out by Dale Evans in a welterweight title eliminator at Glasgow's Radisson Blu Hotel the previous evening.
The diagnosis at the city's Queen Elizabeth University Hospital revealed severe bleeding and swelling to his brain and afterwards brain injury charity Headway called for boxing to be banned.
However, after a public workout in the St Enoch Centre in Glasgow,... read more
- 06:19 Hospice boss ‘disappointed’ over decision to freeze funding
- 06:19 Blackpool: From the courts 23-03-17
- 06:18 £40m investment call to help our ex-mining communities
- 06:18 Mixed reaction to South Shields primary school’s toilet policy
- 06:18 Terror at Westminster: Knifeman kills police officer and mows down...
- 06:18 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:18 WANTED! Police release details of suspects after burglary spree
- 06:16 Club chief explains why Chelsea striker deal collapsed last summer
- 06:16 Arsenal’s £25m swoop, Liverpool message, Man United’s two bids,...
- 06:16 Our Westminster editor gives his first hand account of terrorist...
- 06:16 We must not flinch in the face of terror - evil will never be...
- 06:16 Italy's Five Star Movement blamed for surge in measles cases
- 06:15 Burglar jailed after leaving blood and fingerprints during East...
- 06:14 Business Improvement District blitz Northampton streets in a bid to...
- 06:14 Celebrating 70 years of iconic Dr Martens brand
- 06:14 Victoria’s little shop of horrors in Daventry has become a monster...
- 06:14 Swimming gala fun celebrates talent
- 06:13 Pogba, Sanchez, Hazard... The Premier League's most valuable XI
- 06:13 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw handed timely boost
- 06:13 Man City star John Stones is a symbol of progress in English football
- 06:13 London terrorist attack - Derby MPs pay tribute to police officer...
- 06:13 Huge vessel’s visit captured by college art teacher
- 06:13 Hartlepool schoolboy Alfie Smith completes his first physio session
- 06:13 Hundreds gather to say ‘goodbye’ to Hartlepool youngster Ethan Owens
- 06:13 Fly-tipping increase fears
- 06:13 Hartlepool United’s Kieran Green joins Gateshead, Adam Bartlett...
- 06:11 Leeds school to close for day following Ofsted inspection
- 06:11 Leeds planners ‘must do more to encourage house building’
- 06:11 Police follow up new leads in hunt for 1994 killers of Tracey Mertens
- 06:10 How the front pages of newspapers are reporting the London...