Woodpeckers force electricity company to replace dozens of damaged power poles in Scots village
WOODPECKERS have been unmasked as the culprits responsible for drilling through an Argyll village’s electricity poles.
The bird’s population in Kilninver, south of Oban, is rising.
And the birds have caused so much damage Scottish and Southern Energy will have to replace poles in Kilninver and surrounding areas, between Oban and Kilmelford.
Householders have received letters from the energy giant saying their power could be off for up to eight hours because new poles will have to be installed due to woodpecker damage.
Nigel Mitchell, chairman of Kilmelford and Kilninver Community Council,... read more
- 10:07 ‘Thousands’ of emails uncovered in Trump Russia probe
- 10:07 Water finally restored for 10,000 homes in Tewkesbury after pipe burst
- 10:05 Desert Island Discs: ‘Fleetwood Mac rocked thanks to the drugs’...
- 10:05 Joe Root and Alastair Cook fall away with England on brink of Ashes...
- 10:05 Mitchell Starc's 'ball of the 21st century', Stuart Broad's worst...
- 10:04 RAC warns South Yorkshire drivers to avoid travelling on...
- 10:03 Ugo Ehiogu remembered by Gareth Southgate
- 10:02 Crutch kicked from hand of disabled woman damaged
- 09:59 Firefighters called to blaze in Warwick Hospital car park
- 09:57 Will Derby enjoy a white Christmas? Forecasters think they have the...
- 09:57 How they rated: Who impressed for Preston against Sheffield United?
- 09:57 Lincolnshire gritters efforts are praised by leader of council
- 09:57 Lord Lieutenant receives knighthood
- 09:57 Woman helps Rwandan firm
- 09:56 Outstanding praise for clinical team
- 09:56 Cardiff City defender to quit club for LA Galaxy move
- 09:56 Barcelona news: Lionel Messi told Real Madrid bombshell by PSG star...
- 09:51 Attempted break in at Burnley Tesco Express store
- 09:51 Police appeal for sex offender's whereabouts
- 09:51 Australia close in on Ashes victory as England's top order...
- 09:51 Politicians flock to congratulate Strictly winner Joe McFadden
- 09:49 Central Beacons rescue team battles on after fire
- 09:49 'My brother was killed by a single punch'
- 09:48 Learner driver from Nottingham PARKED in the fast lane of the M1 -...
- 09:47 Attempted break in at Burnley Tesco Express store
- 09:47 Police appeal for sex offender's whereabouts
- 09:46 North East news LIVE: Bentinck Road latest plus breaking news,...
- 09:45 Quickline extends customer base
- 09:45 Scamblesby man, 20, faces charges over crash gates collision
- 09:44 'He's our little angel' Parents' desperate plea to bring baby home...