Woman, 61, convicted of fiddling benefits as trial is held without her
A FORMER Cumbrian woman who failed to turn up for her trial has been convicted of fiddling benefits.
Wendy Hamilton-Browne, 61, who formerly lived in Alston, had denied two counts of dishonestly producing false statements so that she could claim just under £10,000 in housing and council tax benefits.
The offences date back to 2010.
Though she failed to turn up for her trial at the city's Rickergate Magistrates' Court, she was found guilty of the two charges she faced as the trial went ahead without her.
The charges stated that she provided Eden District Council with benefit application... read more
- 13:08 OAP's Jaguar destroys Tesco petrol station
- 13:08 Facebook harassment in West Yorkshire has doubled in the last 12...
- 13:07 Talking point: why goals aren't a concern when Burton Albion's...
- 13:06 Should YOU be taking paracetamol? Expert claims the common...
- 13:06 Theo Walcott hat-trick, Laurent Koscielny own goal and Reading...
- 13:06 Bastian Schweinsteiger can help Manchester United out of current...
- 13:06 Oaksway netball star Leah Kennedy jets off after receiving last...
- 13:06 Multiple motoring offences admitted by Melton man
- 13:05 Greek, Turkish Cypriots to discuss territory trade offs in November
- 13:05 Bollore executive says speed a factor in Cameroon accident, train...
- 13:05 Pitch in your vote to help grant bid
- 13:05 Charity foundation will be caring Josh's lasting legacy
- 13:03 Aldi set to open first store in Rutland - with special golden...
- 13:02 Monte Paschi sub debt rallies on liability management proposal
- 13:02 VIDEO - Check out the world’s first airbag for cyclists
- 13:02 'Sick crew' BA jet diverted to Vancouver
- 13:01 Fall in number of crimes and anti-social behaviour incidents...
- 13:01 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 13:01 Support growing for finalists in contest
- 13:01 Thug who battered partner to death after finding her in bed with...
- 13:01 Beijing threatens legal action over webcam claims
- 13:01 Smartwatch sales show sharp decline, report finds
- 13:00 Family’s mission to help others
- 13:00 Bastian Schweinsteiger can lift Manchester United - Manuel Neuer
- 13:00 Chris Ashton to join Toulon from Saracens at the end of this season
- 13:00 Henrikh Mkhitaryan was supposed to show that Manchester United can...
- 12:59 Reunion event for workers of Bloom & Billet Mill set to take place
- 12:59 Season's first seal pups born at Lincolnshire nature reserve
- 12:59 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Scunthorpe?
- 12:59 Scunthorpe United look for good away following at Charlton Athletic...