William Shatner 'never expected Star Trek to Klingon for 50 years'
The 85-year-old - who played Captain James Kirk in the classic 1960s television series and the first seven films - quipped that the cast were more concerned about being able to "Klingon" for another series, in a reference to one of the show's most famous alien species.
Shatner was in Birmingham on Friday for the start of the three-day Destination Star Trek convention at the NEC, marking the show's 50th anniversary.
He said the idea of the franchise reaching its 50th birthday had "never occurred" to him during the making of the original series.
The show premiered in 1966... read more
- 09:39 National minute's silence to remember Manchester Arena attack victims
- 09:39 Bradley Lowery 'doesn't have long left to live', heartbroken family...
- 09:39 Star Wars Last Jedi: Supreme Leader Snoke SHOCK news as his part in...
- 09:39 Pokemon Go Rock-type event end time: LAST CHANCE to catch Adventure...
- 09:39 Have Nottingham researchers found new treatment for diabetes patients?
- 09:38 Tate & Lyle profit jumps on weak sterling
- 09:38 Fighting corruption, Ukraine starts to judge its judges
- 09:38 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:37 Theresa May accused police of ‘scaremongering’ over spending cuts
- 09:37 Pigeon gets tiny backpack to smuggle drugs
- 09:37 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:37 Neighbour from hell repeatedly played Stayin’ Alive and Sweet Dreams
- 09:37 'I will honour those lost by living each day full of joy' Ariana...
- 09:37 Council investment campaign puts PR firm on awards list
- 09:35 Extra trains from West Yorkshire to London for Huddersfield Town fans
- 09:35 National minute's silence to remember Manchester Arena attack victims
- 09:35 Manchester terror attack: Further arrests made this morning
- 09:34 Rio Ferdinand believes Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick could stay...
- 09:33 Minute's silence at Chesterfield Town Hall to remember Manchester...
- 09:33 National minute's silence to remember Manchester Arena attack victims
- 09:33 Petition launched to improve security at Sunderland children’s...
- 09:33 Burglar gets suspended prison sentence after breaking into ex’s home
- 09:33 Bradley Lowery's family reveal youngster's cancer is spreading 'at...
- 09:32 Hong Kong stocks at fresh 22-month high despite Moody's downgrade
- 09:32 Young Walter Scott prize for budding novelists
- 09:32 Eyemouth’s popular Kirk Square Kitchen returns
- 09:32 Traquair House hosts magical medieval fayre
- 09:31 Leeds school staff express ‘deep sadness’ after ex-colleague dies...
- 09:31 Approval expected for homes at former Sheffield hotel
- 09:30 Communities 'need to work together' after Manchester bomb attack