Will regional accents die out? Experts predict technology will cause our voices to change over next 50 years
If you are a fan of the friendly Yorkshire accent or love listening to a Geordie, there could be some bad news on the way.
In fifty years' time, regional accents could be wiped out by technology, according to a new report.
Experts have said speech will become the main way we interact with machines, and through this process, accents will evolve.
The study, led by sociolinguistics Dr Dominic Watt, from the University of York, and dialect coach Brendan Gunn, analysed language trends from the past 50 years.
They also looked at major modern cultural influences to help predict what the future... read more
- 11:37 Diane Abbott: My views on IRA, like my hair, have changed
- 11:37 Car blaze drama at Preston petrol station
- 11:37 Girl hurt in Preston road traffic collision
- 11:36 Arrest after man dies on Radio 1 Big Weekend shuttle bus
- 11:36 Help! Mum locked out of house with child trapped inside
- 11:36 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:35 Dunkirk: Harry Styles reveals the truth behind THAT water scene -...
- 11:35 Kaiser Chiefs to rock OAT
- 11:34 Conspiracy theory behind dates of recent terror attacks - just...
- 11:34 What will the weather be like in South Yorkshire over the Bank...
- 11:34 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:33 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha is just the man to help party-loving...
- 11:32 Kim Jong-un watches as North Korea tests new weapons
- 11:32 Police appeal after North East sex attack on 15-year-old girl
- 11:31 Reports of flash flooding in Yorkshire as stormy weather hits region
- 11:30 Watch: M5 driver cuts up then BRAKE TESTS car towing caravan
- 11:30 9 things we learned at Birmingham Pride
- 11:30 Hugely successful dance festival will be extended next year
- 11:30 British Airways disruption continues after IT failure
- 11:29 Newcastle Airport still subject to flight disruption from Heathrow...
- 11:29 Mass brawl at popular Tyne drinking spot leads to 6ft fence being...
- 11:28 Where does the Environment Agency have flood alerts in place in...
- 11:28 MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Specialist insurer Global Benefits Group proves...
- 11:28 US law firm claims I have £110k in shares to claim but I'll have to...
- 11:27 Police issue photo of Manchester attacker, believe bomb made in...
- 11:27 Arsenal primed to beat Chelsea to Serie A hitman Andrea Belotti in...
- 11:26 Police appeal for missing man
- 11:26 Libya Benghazi: Group blamed for 2012 attack on US mission disbands
- 11:26 Sri Lanka floods: Residents afraid as more rain forecast
- 11:26 White House didn’t include gay prime minister’s husband in...