Will India's tax evasion amnesty scheme curb 'black money'?
Earlier this month, the Indian government announced that tens of thousands of people had taken advantage of a tax evasion amnesty scheme to declare more than $9.5bn (£7.3bn) in undisclosed incomes and assets.
It's being seen as a financial windfall for the government and also being described as an unqualified success at tackling the country's long-standing underground economy or black money problem.
Cash transactions are a way of life in India. They could involve simple purchases on the street, or large-scale ones involving suitcases stuffed with used notes to buy automobiles or even... read more
- 14:04 There’s a pharaoh chill in the theatre - but panto bosses vow the...
- 14:03 Oil firm Statoil makes first investment in solar tech
- 14:03 Asda strikes festive deal with Scots snack maker
- 14:02 Full face glitter is one beauty trend we won’t be trying
- 14:02 The idiot's guide to spread betting
- 14:01 Online bookings come to The Pods
- 14:01 Game of Thrones and Porridge star Peter Vaughan dies aged 93
- 14:01 Let us know your thoughts in our Christmas tree poll - star or...
- 14:00 Share your Christmas lights pictures with us
- 14:00 Woman raped 43,000 times now travels world helping victims of...
- 14:00 Cleator Moor man charged with arson
- 13:59 Seat unveils the Leon Cupra 300 - its most powerful car yet
- 13:58 Merkel to seek new term amid asylum row
- 13:58 'We want Freeport Talke to stay open - and Primark and New Look to...
- 13:56 Lancaster’s 650 space Park and Ride to open this week
- 13:55 Apparently exercise may be the key to having better sperm
- 13:54 Jamie Redknapp: Why this Chelsea star does not fit into Antonio...
- 13:53 Church of England to close Surrey care home due to lack of staff
- 13:52 Woman in 'life-threatening' condition after crash
- 13:52 Cumbrian soldiers will spend Christmas in Iraq
- 13:49 Adele and Beyonce lead Grammy nominations
- 13:49 Fan column: Graham Dughan on Burton Albion against parachute...
- 13:48 Motorists experiencing delays of up to an hour on A590 between...
- 13:48 Report highlights rise in segregation in UK
- 13:48 Co-operative Travel to disappear from high street within two years
- 13:47 Liverpool defender Joel Matip set to face West Ham after training...
- 13:47 Game of Thrones and Porridge star Peter Vaughan dies aged 93
- 13:47 Real Madrid midfielder Lucas Silva has €500 million release clause
- 13:46 GLOBAL MARKETS-Euro and stocks hold Italy-related gains ahead of ECB
- 13:46 Controversial car parking charges on the agenda...again