Will India's tax evasion amnesty scheme curb 'black money'?
Earlier this month, the Indian government announced that tens of thousands of people had taken advantage of a tax evasion amnesty scheme to declare more than $9.5bn (£7.3bn) in undisclosed incomes and assets.
It's being seen as a financial windfall for the government and also being described as an unqualified success at tackling the country's long-standing underground economy or black money problem.
Cash transactions are a way of life in India. They could involve simple purchases on the street, or large-scale ones involving suitcases stuffed with used notes to buy automobiles or even... read more
- 11:49 ‘Nonsense’ to merge Kenilworth and south Coventry to make new...
- 11:49 Crown court date for motorbike thief
- 11:49 Stunning Orionid meteor shower arrives tonight - here's the best...
- 11:49 Athletics: East Kilbride kids inspired after visit from Team GB...
- 11:49 Top class ballet on the big screen
- 11:49 Stirling Albion look to bounce back from Scottish Cup shocker with...
- 11:49 Kobe Steel uncovers more evidence of quality mistakes
- 11:49 Construction begins on Ripley hospital blood test extension
- 11:49 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...
- 11:49 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:48 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...
- 11:48 Officers searching for missing Leeds man
- 11:48 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:48 'Bored' 16-year-old picked up by police at 2am driving sister's car
- 11:47 Factory worker cheated death after being CRUSHED by giant cable drum
- 11:47 Gran Turismo Sport: reviews, car list and release
- 11:47 Neal Preston: Exhilarated and exhausted
- 11:47 The best face oils for autumn
- 11:46 ‘I did all this for the old folk’
- 11:46 Stargazers - get ready for the 'most beautiful' Orionid meteor...
- 11:46 Tweed Forum calls for input
- 11:46 Storm Brian: Weather Bomb set to cause miserable weekend for Yorkshire
- 11:45 Colne Town Council's spook-tacular Halloween
- 11:45 "Hot-head" charged after racist rant at police
- 11:45 Law firm's inaugural charity ball smashes fundraising target
- 11:45 Man City and Pep Guardiola can learn an awful lot from Burnley
- 11:45 Manchester United can do better than Arsenal luxury Mesut Ozil
- 11:45 Rebekah Vardy reveals she attempted suicide after years of...
- 11:44 TRICK OR TREAT: Where to get your Halloween costumes
- 11:44 QUICK QUIZ: This week in questions...