Wigan North Western Station evacuated after woman is killed by a train
A woman has been killed after being struck by a train at Wigan North Western Station.
Police confirmed the person was hit between Wigan North Western and Warrington Bank Quays, and all lines are currently blocked.
Olympic athlete Jenny Meadows, from Abram, tweeted that the woman committed suicide by jumping in front of the locomotive.
The world and European medallist said: “Feeling heartbroken that a young girl has just taken her life in front of me at Wigan train station. If in need please speak out.”
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60... read more
- 11:34 Belford GP to retire in April after 35 years
- 11:34 The man taught to have sex by lesbians
- 11:34 Man carrying rifle in Crook street arrested
- 11:34 Remember: Clocks spring forward tonight
- 11:32 Traffic lights on A590 at Lindal still in place
- 11:32 Chocolate bars could get smaller after Brexit warns Cadbury
- 11:31 Horror as abandoned Bulldog is found with horrific skin condition
- 11:31 West Brom: The bumper list of free transfers available for Tony...
- 11:31 Aston Villa: The bumper list of free transfers Steve Bruce could...
- 11:30 When do the clocks go forward in 2017? Here's what you need to know...
- 11:30 Robbie Savage: I was right about this Manchester United star
- 11:29 Karim Benzema gives striker transfer advice: Man United and Arsenal...
- 11:28 Aldi shoppers warned over this fake voucher scam
- 11:28 Uma Thurman co-star Rosie Day in Coventry to visit baby hospice
- 11:28 This Keresley home with STUNNING landscaped gardens could be yours
- 11:27 Search is on for war hero's family after medal is found buried in...
- 11:26 Teen dies after taking elephant tranquilisers bought illegally on...
- 11:26 Man with Derbyshire links was sat next to bomber in Brussels terror...
- 11:25 QUICK QUIZ: The week in questions
- 11:24 A very wise person has developed a wine bottle that doesn’t drip
- 11:24 Barcelona given asking price for star man: Liverpool won't be happy
- 11:24 Seven days left to avoid higher car tax bills: Cost of new vehicles...
- 11:24 This referee has been red-carded after 40 years - here's why
- 11:23 71 Brewing: Beer from the heart of Dundee
- 11:21 Wayne Rooney slams Neil Taylor over tackle which broke Seamus...
- 11:21 Three arrested in St Helens over attack in Asda car park
- 11:20 Tributes pour in for Ripley teen who died after South Normanton...
- 11:19 Watch: Drugs raid and police crackdown sees four arrested across...
- 11:18 10 things we didn't know last week
- 11:18 Police investigate serious assault in Dumfries town centre