Why YOU should worry if you wake up during the night: Disturbed sleep increases the risk of having an irregular heartbeat
If you often wake up in the middle of the night the impact could be more serious than bleary eyes the next day.
A major study suggests people who fail to sleep all the way through the night are at increased risk of heart complications.
The research, which draws on data from more than 14million patients, concluded that people who report frequent night-time awakening have a 26 per cent increased chance of developing an irregular heartbeat.
The condition, known as atrial fibrillation, is a major cause of strokes and heart failure.
The research team, from the University of California San... read more
- 00:14 Many countries ‘stricter on game hunting rules’ than Scotland
- 00:13 Inverness 2-1 Rangers: Bad to worse for Graeme Murty as Billy...
- 00:13 Wales foot soldier Sam Warburton has rediscovered his mojo thanks...
- 00:12 Feminist issues that won’t go away
- 00:12 Arts ahead: February 25 2017
- 00:12 On Distras, Drewett, Seagulls and myself
- 00:12 Man U’s Rostov tie ‘bad in every aspect’ – Jose
- 00:12 FOXES FANS BLAST ‘SHAMEFUL’ SACKING
- 00:12 A fitting send-off for England’s greatest, Kelly Smith
- 00:12 Look beyond Trump’s populist razzmatazz
- 00:12 Soldiers go on trial over coup plot
- 00:12 DUP admits funding was from Constitutional Research Council
- 00:12 Austerity is near an end, Tsipras claims after EU debt deal
- 00:12 Arcadia staff give bosses a dressing down
- 00:11 Music review: Julian Cope
- 00:12 MPs pass anti-rape Bill despite ‘villainous’ Tory’s whining
- 00:11 Music review: The Pet Shop Boys
- 00:12 Union fears Argos move will depress wages
- 00:11 Music review: Pelleas & Melisande
- 00:12 Former St Mirren Paul McKnight calls on Saints to turn the clock...
- 00:12 Crowd left baffled as Cambuslang boxer loses out to controversial...
- 00:11 Film/Music review: Lost in France
- 00:11 Theatre review: Pink Mist, Last Tango in Partick, The Curious...
- 00:11 Mum’s the Word:
- 00:11 MP tackles football's breastfeeding taboo
- 00:11 Film review: Demons; David Lynch: The Art Life; Their Finest
- 00:11 Scottish Labour's Dugdale pledges to work 'tirelessly' for union
- 00:08 Robbie Henshaw and Garry Ringrose must ignore hype, says Gordon...
- 00:07 David Moyes speaks out on Manchester United transfer: Player would...
- 00:07 North-north divide: York and Bradford in a tale of two cities