Why you really shouldn't binge drink: Heavy drinking as a teenager puts their future children's brain function at risk
Teenagers who binge drink may be putting the brain function of their future children at risk, new research suggests.
Heavy drinking sessions alter the activity of numerous genes in the brains of offspring, experts claim.
But experts say the findings may be not relevant to humans as they came from a study on lab mice.
Scientists gave a group of adolescent male and female rates amounts of alcohol equivalent to six episodes of binge drinking.
Once they had sobered up, the rats were allowed to mate.
The researchers examined the brains of their offspring, looking for changes affecting the... read more
- 07:23 Olympus scandal: Former bosses to pay $529m over fraud
- 07:23 Barclays profits more than double
- 07:21 £3million fund to boost Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire’s rural economy
- 07:21 BUXTON SPRING FAIR 2017: What’s on when and where
- 07:21 Middlesbrough ace Adam Forshaw: This is why we are playing with...
- 07:21 Liverpool Transfer News: £10m ace wanted, Bayern Munich battle,...
- 07:21 Female Islamic clerics in Indonesia issue rare child marriage fatwa
- 07:21 Breaking news, travel and weather updates around Notts on Friday,...
- 07:20 Teacher ‘shot by two pupils in school corridor’
- 07:20 Hull LIVE! Rail strike hits commuters
- 07:19 Prostate cancer update: Drinking THIS can HALVE your risk
- 07:19 Manchester United suffer Timothy Fosu-Mensah injury blow
- 07:19 Marouane Fellaini: Man United star must do this after red card -...
- 07:18 Emmerdale spoilers: Goodbye Pierce? Boss reveals what happens next...
- 07:18 Emmerdale boss speaks out on Robron drama as special episode is...
- 07:18 Star drops huge Liverpool transfer hint: Reds fans will love this
- 07:17 BREAKING: Pedestrian dies after Mansfield moped crash
- 07:16 VIDEO: Brave Chorley newsagent fights off knifeman with old police...
- 07:16 Two men charged with criminal damage after incident at BAE
- 07:16 Paul Carrack steps out of the shadows of Mike & The Mechanics to...
- 07:16 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:16 Knights of Malta draw battle lines after clash with pope
- 07:14 Scotland under-17s have ability to be European champions, says...
- 07:14 Cricket: East Kilbride ready to unleash new signings in opener
- 07:14 Airdrieonians captain Iain Russell wants to call the season a...
- 07:13 Steelbacks' showing was 'pretty grim', says Ripley
- 07:12 RBS reports first quarter profit as turnaround continues
- 07:12 Fish disease outbreak closes fishing lakes
- 07:12 John Maguire: Why all the faux outrage over election?
- 07:12 White powder package threat to Scots politicians