Why YOU need to have your say on how Derby's taxi industry is run
The public must help decide whether a potentially tougher regime on taxi licensing is enacted in Derby to protect children.
That's the view of Baggy Shanker, the councillor in charge of licensing in the city.
He said: "In May 2015 we began an overhaul of taxi licensing. It was clear that the widespread failings that were brought to light in Rotherham (where drivers were convicted of abusing vulnerable girls) must never be repeated elsewhere.
"We know people (in areas outside Derby) are exploiting or using taxis to ferry people across towns and cities and, in cases, abusing young... read more
- 08:32 Time to check your change! The most valuable £1 coins in...
- 08:31 Surviving South Yorkshire D Day veterans offered free trip to...
- 08:31 Nearly 200 properties hit by power cut in Sheffield
- 08:30 Hibs and Hearts get ready to do battle in Scottish Cup replay and...
- 08:30 80mph winds expected to hit Britain as Storm Doris arrives
- 08:30 Force India confirm driver line-up ahead of 2017 F1 car launch
- 08:27 Britain's McBride sees challenging second half, keeps FY outlook
- 08:27 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:26 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:26 The Hoosiers and Toploader headline Tidal Waves Beach Festival at...
- 08:26 Twenty-year-old Bethany set to release fourth book in two years
- 08:26 The morning news headlines: Door won't shut on EU migrant workers -...
- 08:26 80mph winds expected to hit Britain as Storm Doris arrives
- 08:25 Drug needles found in Sheffield street
- 08:25 Jim Duffy: Searching for that spark of leadership
- 08:24 Letter: How much longer do taxpayers have to be at bottom of the list?
- 08:25 Kei Nishikori stunned at Rio Open by Thomaz Bellucci
- 08:24 Tipping point: Is fly-tipping getting out of control in Shropshire?
- 08:25 Angela Merkel facing election threat in head-to-head with former EU...
- 08:24 Prostate cancer: Ex-boxer Richie Woodhall urges Shropshire men to...
- 08:24 Van crash driver from Shrewsbury more than twice the drink-drive limit
- 08:24 Time to Bring on the Bride - could you star in new TV show?
- 08:24 Shropshire Council leader defends councillors' £11,500 alllowances
- 08:24 The morning news headlines: Door won't shut on EU migrant workers -...
- 08:24 Red light cameras for Telford's problem Trench Lock interchange
- 08:24 Obese men last 1 minute and 30 seconds longer in bed – here’s why
- 08:24 80mph winds expected to hit Britain as Storm Doris arrives
- 08:24 Shropshire's most deadly roads: Map highlights county's crash hotspots
- 08:23 EastEnders viewers OUTRAGED as they spot major Queen Vic collapse...
- 08:23 Jo Cox’s heartbroken husband admits anguish of MP’s death ‘still...