Why you CAN eat food after it's been dropped on the floor: Doctor busts the five-second rule myth (and reveals the kitchen counter is much dirtier)
Do you follow the five-second rule - the guideline that says it's okay to eat food from the floor if you pick it up straight away?
If so, then you may welcome the advice of one doctor, who says we shouldn't be remotely worried about eating anything that's been on the floor - no matter how long it's been there.
Aaron E Carroll, Indiana University's professor of pediatrics, says he eats food that's been on the floor - rejecting the advice of a recent study that suggests food dropped on the floor will pick up any bacteria in just one second, rather than five.
Dr Carroll told the New York... read more
- 10:03 Half of UK households are now worried about Brexit as concern grows...
- 10:02 Cumbrian family welcomes its fifth generation
- 09:56 Boil water advice for homes in Tameside and Saddleworth
- 09:56 Man charged over girls sex assault in Burnley
- 09:56 Qantas to fly from London to Australia non-stop
- 09:54 Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos says his team-mates have a duty to...
- 09:54 Jose Mourinho keen on bringing Edinson Cavani to Manchester United
- 09:51 Bitter row dubbed Trousergate breaks out over Theresa May’s trousers
- 09:50 Liverpool legend Dietmar Hamann claims current side isn’t good...
- 09:48 Great places in Derby city centre to stop for coffee or cake while...
- 09:46 Chelsea star Willian: I am delighted Antonio Conte said this about me
- 09:45 West Bridgford residents worried after spate of burglaries
- 09:44 Site manager scoops accolade
- 09:43 Man rescued from bungalow fire in Kirby Muxloe
- 09:43 Catholic church in Manila issues prayer against expanded death penalty
- 09:43 Analysis - After Aleppo, Syria's Assad still far from regaining his...
- 09:43 Five killed in explosion near cathedral in Cairo
- 09:39 An Inspector Calls: Everything is pristine at Hurley House Hotel in...
- 09:39 Go shopping in New York... but pop into Iceland first thanks to...
- 09:39 The peak of luxury: A flying hot-tub, built-in sushi bars and bling...
- 09:37 Children antlers for fundraising reindeer runs
- 09:37 Church-run scheme in Barrow offers to help families struggling with...
- 09:36 Delving into family history
- 09:36 Coldstream art gallery moving to new premises
- 09:29 Max Holloway calls out Jose Aldo after claiming interim UFC...
- 09:29 Manchester United in talks with Premier League rival over January...
- 09:28 AA Gill: Final article describes cancer fight
- 09:27 Nottingham Forest LIVE: Derby County vs Reds live at the iPro Stadium
- 09:27 Crash closes main Nottinghamshire road
- 09:26 Welsh Government property deals net nearly £7m profit since 2007