Why we should all be astronauts
If you want to get a laugh out of a five-year-old, telling them that astronauts drink their own wee is bound to do the trick.
It's one of those fun facts that fascinates people about life in space.
Robyn Gatens, deputy division director for Nasa's International Space Station (ISS) programme, has seen plenty of negative reactions to the practice in her 30 years at the US space agency.
"It's a mental thing, it sounds yucky," she says.
The ISS recycles about 90% of all its water - as well as astronauts' urine, this includes their sweat, the moisture from their breath and their... read more
- 02:05 Johnny Marr returns to save us from ourselves
- 01:59 Is John Travolta’s Gotti one of the worst movies ever?
- 01:59 Google predicts when people will die ‘with 95% accuracy’
- 01:58 Drug 'reduces hearing loss' after childhood cancer treatment
- 01:56 The homes in Grimsby on sale from just £18,200 for first time buyers
- 01:55 O2 changes post policy after racist hate mail sent out
- 01:55 'I like coming to school because I get to eat here' - many children...
- 01:47 Cases of cancer in elderly to surge by 2035, report says
- 01:40 Youngsters clean for the Queen’s 90th
- 01:37 Bella Hadid looks every inch the trendsetter as she takes to the...
- 01:37 Sir Lenny Henry continues to display his dramatic weight loss at...
- 01:37 Love Island's Dr. Alex FINALLY gets the girl as 'emotional' fans...
- 01:37 Love Island: Laura, 29, tells 'childish' partner Wes, 20, to 'grow...
- 01:37 Brooklyn Beckham grapples with his camera as aspiring photographer,...
- 01:37 Ant McPartlin and his estranged wife Lisa Armstrong 'had an...
- 01:34 Ant McPartlin's new romance leaves Lisa Armstrong's parents worried...
- 01:27 Tech sector boom delivers £3.9 billion boost to economy
- 01:20 Dark rumours in Westminster over Tory whips’ behaviour
- 01:11 Where can UK students study for free?
- 01:04 US envoy Nikki Haley berates human rights groups
- 01:03 'Should I stay or should I go now?'
- 01:02 No sign of North Korea dismantling nuclear weapons, Mattis admits
- 01:02 Leicester City heap more misery on Huddersfield Town
- 00:59 in-Cumbria Business Breakfast hears county must gear up for...
- 00:59 Kestrel chick makes lucky escape
- 00:59 Millom mayor hosting meeting for public pool
- 00:58 Anne McIntosh: Division at G7 casts shadow over trade and Brexit
- 00:58 Jayne Dowle: Cannabis may be a cure but drugs culture is a sickness
- 00:58 Diana Johnson: Grayling’s rail farce isn’t funny, he must quit now
- 00:58 The Yorkshire Post says: Mobile menaces. Should schools ban phones?