Why we ARE what we eat: Defective gene makes some people choose high fat foods without even realising
Obese people could be choosing unhealthier food options without realising, new research suggests.
A genetic difference can make people have an increased preference for high fat food, scientists found.
But the same variant in the melanocortin-4 receptor (MC4R) makes sugary foods less appealing.
Found in the area of the brain that controls appetite and satiety, the defect makes people more likely to put on weight.
Around one in every 100 people carry the defective gene, and the latest findings could explain why they struggle to lose weight easily.
Cambridge University researchers gave both... read more
- 21:19 Burton man avoids jail after stealing clothing from Peacocks
- 21:19 Dan’s the man as Zamparelli cruises to victory
- 21:19 Hundreds turn up to say farewell to adored Chester busker Jonny Walker
- 21:17 Katie Price insists she did train for London Marathon - after...
- 21:17 Fifth successive defeat as season fades in poor finish
- 21:15 Arsene Wenger provides injury update on THREE Arsenal stars ahead...
- 21:14 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 21:09 Barcelona eye up Chelsea boss Antonio Conte to replace Ernesto...
- 21:07 WEEKEND WEB: We should be reducing our reliance on imports
- 21:03 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 20:56 Best of British: Sir Mo Farah left gasping by brutal pace but he...
- 20:55 Katie Price fires back after failing to finish London Marathon
- 20:55 'We would be better off in EU' say more than half of people in survey
- 20:52 The Big Brexit Survey: Does Coventry still want to leave the EU?
- 20:51 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 20:50 Mum finds out stillborn baby could have been saved three times
- 20:49 This is how many people in Doncaster think UK will be better off...
- 20:48 Meet the man who's survived a snake, bear and shark attack
- 20:45 Katie Price slams suggestions she didn’t train for London Marathon...
- 20:43 Council of Europe members suspected of corruption, inquiry reveals
- 20:42 Lara Dickenmann’s strike for Wolfsburg leaves Chelsea with mountain...
- 20:42 Catalans Dragons do enough to get past spirited York City Knights
- 20:34 Gary Ballance sends Yorkshire to verge of win against Nottinghamshire
- 20:34 Derbyshire poised for victory over Middlesex
- 20:30 Richard Leonard calls for more action by Labour on federalism
- 20:29 The REAL reason why Jose Mourinho didn't celebrate Man Utd's...
- 20:29 Arsenal hero Alan Smith reveals the ‘perfect’ replacement for...
- 20:26 MATT ROBERTS: After a big heart op I want to get fit, not put my...
- 20:22 Manchester City set Premier League landmark after becoming first...
- 20:14 Elton John looks happy as Larry as he poses with husband David Furnish