Why statins DO work: Cholesterol-lowering drugs cut the risk of a heart attack by 36%
Statins help prevent heart attacks and strokes in adults at high risk, new research suggests.
Those with high blood pressure and cholesterol who took the cheap daily pills were 31 per cent less likely to die from cardiovascular disease.
While they were also 14 per cent less likely to die early from any cause, a US study found.
Early deaths could be avoided if those in danger of having heart problems were given the cheap daily pills, scientists claim.
Despite previous studies linking statins to a range of conditions, they were also found they have no harmful side effects.
The pills cost... read more
- 15:08 Each area will have 'chapter' in local plan
- 15:08 Bye-bye Byron Street
- 15:08 Kitchen clink: Rogue trader jailed for fraud
- 15:07 Children brave chop to help young people with cancer
- 15:07 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:06 Digger Festival organisers and artists celebrate George Orwell
- 15:06 Nissan says Brexit-induced fall in pound left it slightly worse off
- 15:06 New BBC Scotland channel a “shift in the right direction”
- 15:06 India's Snapdeal to cut 600 staff, founders forego salary
- 15:06 VIDEO: Bumpy landings for planes at Yorkshire airport as Storm...
- 15:05 Ayrshire boxing legend Alec Mullen backs Irvine ace Ryan Collins to...
- 15:05 Crime scene investigation officers in West Cumbrian town centre
- 15:04 South Sudanese exiles fear kidnap after activists disappear in Kenya
- 15:04 Eden Hazard: Why Chelsea have been so good at Stamford Bridge this...
- 15:04 Manchester United take advantage of bizarre 'loophole' ahead of...
- 15:04 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 15:03 NOSTALGIA: Old pictures of Chesterfield Co-op
- 15:03 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:02 Traffic lights review before upgrade works began would have put...
- 15:02 New cafe bar to bring back to life disused bank building
- 15:02 Double penalty points for drivers caught using mobile phone
- 15:02 Sheffield resident heard "shouting and loud voices" moments before...
- 15:02 Northern Powerhouse Minister to speak at major conference on how...
- 15:01 Wall Street slips on weak oil prices; Fed minutes in focus
- 15:01 Iran sends delegation to Saudi for talks on rejoining haj
- 15:01 Germany's 'man of the streets' Schulz plots path to defeat Merkel
- 15:00 Calthorpe Estates expands senior team
- 15:00 More than 160 floral tributes left at scene where Sheffield man was...
- 14:59 Hairdressers are being reminded about TV licensing
- 14:59 Uzbek journalist Muhammad Bekjanov freed after 18 years